BMMCC and URSA 4.6K finally shipping!

cojocaru27

22 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

I can buy a lot of arguments but not this.
If any shooter that works under me (I'm a producer) ever plans a project with gear not yet released an thoroughly tested, I will fire them.
You can make misstakes, drop the camera, be late, forget to white balance, etc. Sh.. happens. But you do not pull stunts like that without a 100% solid Plan-B.

That's a Straw Man argument.

We're not talking about the behavior of a half-assed, undisciplined camera person banking on vaporware.

We're talking about Blackmagic Design marketing and selling vaporware.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
38 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Nope, not angry and screaming. That gets us nowhere. I would be sad to have to let them go. 
And I think you totally misunderstood me. I never said "don't get angry". I said, don't get angry and waste your brain cells on stupid, non meaningful things like cameras and global shutters. 
Syria, Pollution, Rapists, they are reasons to get mad. Not batteries or placements of ISO buttons :)

Because it's meaningless I don't mind getting upset about it. ;) It doesn't actually affect my happy state of mind unlike real issues do.

But I get what you're saying. :)

I just consider it part of the BM process, if they announce a camera I want, I know not to give it much thought for 6-12 months and expect teething problems if I am an early apodter... If it means I can get a true film replacement for £4k, then so be it.

I remember pre-ordering both these cameras as a "get in line incase it's good" kind of thing. Didn't last long as I used my funds elsewhere on stuff I needed immediately. 

No global shutter is no big deal. It will come in later models - shipping in July. 

I love Blackmagic cameras as the aesthetic is awesome, especially for the money. It's a pity the 120fps is limited on the Ursa Mini though. 

The great thing is there are a lot of options for all types of shooters. I personally don't buy many cameras at all - I just get one when I need one and spent most of my surplus funds on gear that is current for a long time. 

No need to get angry over cameras and gear though. There's a world out there. ;) 

• Super Members
1 hour ago, KrisAK said:

That's a Straw Man argument.

We're not talking about the behavior of a half-assed, undisciplined camera person banking on vaporware.

No, you just took my post out of context. My post was a direct response to another. My post only has to do with that post, noting else.

48 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I just consider it part of the BM process, if they announce a camera I want, I know not to give it much thought for 6-12 months and expect teething problems if I am an early apodter... If it means I can get a true film replacement for £4k, then so be it.

This.

39 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Wonder what they'll announce at NAB? :-)

A little birdie told me it'll be the next generation Pocket Cinema Camera with impressive features such as a full-frame global shutter sensor capable of shooting up to 8K RAW with a revolutionary new codec that allows you to shoot 18 hours of footage on a 64GB SXDC card while still maintaining 20 stops of dynamic range. The camera will be available immediately for guaranteed free overnight shipping on all orders for only $499.

22 minutes ago, Xavier Plágaro Mussard said:

BPMMCC BMPCMM BPPMMCC >>> Don't they have a fucking marketing department??? 

If the Micro Cinema has no global shutter, what's the point?? If you like the idea you get a Blackmagic Micro Studio Camera 4K, which is already in stock...

But that one has no log profile, probably less dynamic range and no internal recording.

Yay, the URSA Mini 4.6K ships! Nearly exactly a year after it was announced. (as NAB 2016 is now just around the corner....)

I spent a good few weeks last year thinking hard about pre-ordering the URSA Mini 4.6K, but in the end decided to go with the Sony F3 when I found a great deal on it for only US$1.2K

Now that I see how long it took for the Mini 4.6K to ship (plus who knows how much longer mine would take because I wouldn't have been in the first week of pre orders, so might have been a loooong way down the order queue), I am feeling extra good that I went with an F3 instead! :-D

10 hours ago, Phil A said:

I understood it as the feature has been scrapped from plans.

He didn't talk anything about the BMMCC. No global shutter anymore so basically a BMPCC that changes screen for bigger batteries and has a 60fps mode.

To be honest I think it's kind of disappointing that the scrap one of the highlight features without any impact on price... but then they've probably calculated so close to cost and burned so much in development that the prices have no additional margin to compensate.

Yup, taking all this extra R&D would've cost a lot.

The BMMCC will still be a great camera! After all what the top three things people complained about:
1) poor screen, well... it is gone now! ;-) & as a bonus you get a much smaller camera! A thing many other people hoped for (like drone pilots, or for use in action shots)
2) the poor battery life
3) no slow motion (every music video wants that cool looking 60fps shot)

Well, BMD has fixed all three big issues on the BMPCC now! :)

10 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

If the URSA mini has lost the Global Shutter, thats one thing. But if the Micro has lost it... then I see Zero reasons to by it unless you are a drone shooter or in desperate need for slowmo.

True for people who already own a BMPCC like you and I, but for the many people who still don't have a BMPCC... then they just got an even more compelling reason why to get a BMD camera now they can buy a shipping BMMCC! :)

But yes, you and I can wait a little while long for the BMMCC to go on sale or pick one up secondhand for cheap 

8 hours ago, mercer said:

I don't think that's fair. A lot of people have been waiting for a promised product, perhaps even started planning projects based on these promised specs, or decided against other equipment because of BM's promised specs. Why should they be told how to feel when disappointment is forced upon them?

Because it is silly to even plan a project seriously on the basis of a camera which is not even shipping yet. 

Would just like to say to Blackmagic (if they're reading), congratulations on the release of the 4.6K, looks like an amazing camera. I am absolutely blown away by the look of the footage I am seeing from this camera. You have done an amazing job with this camera and I am so stoked there is a company out there creating the products you create and selling them for the affordable prices you are selling them for. Please keep up the amazing work. Bummed for Blackmagic and those that were counting on GS, very disappointing, but in the end it's still going to be a great camera. Blessings all around.

7 hours ago, KrisAK said:

I think a lot of people just don't have experience or understand how engineering of physical products plus software development works, it can be risk and unpredictable! Timelines can balloon. 

Unless you're doing boring simple cookie cutter stuff that has all been done before or are nearly nearly nearly almost finished. 

But that simply is not how BMD operates, and I don't want them to operate like that either!

What BMD is doing is metaphysical dumping.  In economics, "dumping" is a kind of predatory pricing, especially in the context of international trade. It occurs when manufacturers export a product to another country at a price either below the price charged in its home market or below its cost of production. This is illegal in most countries because it might lead to monopolies (of course it's very difficult to proof that a company is actually doing it), but whats genius about BMD is that in fact they just hold you from buying other products with a meta product, and while you wait for it you don't consume other brands. I have nothing in favor or against. Ironically thanks to this I still have my 5d mark 2.

Blackmagic doing voodoo on consumers since 2012 NAB. 

44 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

So what??? RED has been doing this since what... 2005??

I'm not saying others don't do it, actually everyone is somehow doing it (even canon). And has I said i've got nothing against it or in favor. Don't take me too serious. I just found more evidently funny cause the company is called blackmagic. And at least with me this blackmagic thing is really working, I was very interested in this camera and i waited for it. Mainly because of the global shutter. Now they say they can't do it. So I will wait again for the next NAB, lets see what metaphysical cameras they will announce. I'm not angry or frustrated or anything like that. I actually think they are doing a good job on stopping this frantic obsession for updating your camera system. they give you a glimpse of the future. And you wait for it. The way this works with me is that because they never stop doing this I can never update i always feel i could do better. 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Yay, the URSA Mini 4.6K ships! Nearly exactly a year after it was announced. (as NAB 2016 is now just around the corner....)

I spent a good few weeks last year thinking hard about pre-ordering the URSA Mini 4.6K, but in the end decided to go with the Sony F3 when I found a great deal on it for only US$1.2K

Now that I see how long it took for the Mini 4.6K to ship (plus who knows how much longer mine would take because I wouldn't have been in the first week of pre orders, so might have been a loooong way down the order queue), I am feeling extra good that I went with an F3 instead! :-D

Yup, taking all this extra R&D would've cost a lot.

The BMMCC will still be a great camera! After all what the top three things people complained about:
1) poor screen, well... it is gone now! ;-) & as a bonus you get a much smaller camera! A thing many other people hoped for (like drone pilots, or for use in action shots)
2) the poor battery life
3) no slow motion (every music video wants that cool looking 60fps shot)

Well, BMD has fixed all three big issues on the BMPCC now! :)

True for people who already own a BMPCC like you and I, but for the many people who still don't have a BMPCC... then they just got an even more compelling reason why to get a BMD camera now they can buy a shipping BMMCC! :)

But yes, you and I can wait a little while long for the BMMCC to go on sale or pick one up secondhand for cheap 

Because it is silly to even plan a project seriously on the basis of a camera which is not even shipping yet. 

Nope. Not silly at all. What gives you the right to decide what is silly for another person to do? 

But the real point is/was, for whatever reasons, it is not ridiculous for a person to get a little angry, for waiting almost a year for a product with promised specs and then that camera is not delivered as promised.