How to avenge the price of the Canon 1D C and make the camera pay for itself

Andrew Reid

It depends how brave Canon want to be.

They've obviously found the magic formula for downscaling from a high-rez sensor.... They could trickle it down to their cheaper cameras and pretty much kill off any threat from Nikon/Panasonic etc for video work (for now).

But then people would be far less likely to buy their flagship models like the C300 and the 1D-C.

Canon are pretty conservative, so i imagine it will not happen for a while yet. Maybe, just maybe, they will allow it in the 1D-X and 5DIII

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The 5D Mark III HDMI will be a Super 35mm crop of the sensor?

Could be, or maybe it has both options. Seriously, an s35/APS-C crop mode on the 5D would make it so much more appealing. At least to me.

I was never interested in the 5D due to it being full frame only, but being able to switch between full frame and s35 would change everything!

Could be, or maybe it has both options. Seriously, an s35/APS-C crop mode on the 5D would make it so much more appealing. At least to me.

I was never interested in the 5D due to it being full frame only, but being able to switch between full frame and s35 would change everything!

would be awesome to see a Nikon hack since the current FX series auto crops with DX lenses.  Full HD on either scale

On a film production the job of the DP is not to file tax returns or chase clients for new business.

The job of a lone operator is 50% business and not all artists have that skill.

If you have though, the 1D C could be a good investment. I know people who have taken out a loan for more to get something leisurely like a camper van which depreciates and costs money to run and doesn't make you any money. At least this could make you some money.

This seems weird, from canon hater, to fanboy.
I don't see the logic of you're post.

"1DC" EOS "CINEMA" series where utter shit a few months ago according by your own posts.

What's up Andrew?
I feel this is a commercialized post, which is payed up for some kind words.

No nice little video cam tools like zebras. 8 bit 4K with a hefty price tag. Well if you really want 4k on board the camera then this is for you. Picture wise I don't have a 4K monitor so I can't tell you and thats the point most of us dont have 4k monitors or even 2k And as skyfall was shot in 2.8K I cant see a use for this yet. Especially when you can get glorious BMC 2K RAW at a fraction of the price and the workflow for 4k will be huge and for what reward? Its all got to come back down to 2k or less.

Just a note on stock...... 4K stock is pretty plentiful. All the usual money shots will have been shot a hundred times over on RED One and Epic/Scarlet (and timelapse), so you are left with niche locations and studio shots that likely wont make you rich quick.

It is never a bad thing to collect footage in the highest quality/resolution you can... But unless you know the video stock industry well and know what sells.... I wouldn't think of it as a good income source.

I notice the ridiculous price at Pond 5 for anything that flies with a military attachment. Most of them all look terrible as well. High shutter speeds with no motion blur, bad exposure, just bad all around. An HS-53 breaking left in a 15 second clip was around 4 to $500!? ...It was1080p... And it looked like sh-t, lmao. The jailbroken 1DX aside, 4k (ish) stock cost substantially more than 1080. Granted I don't know who in the hell is buying that garbage but good footage is slim pickens with that stuff. I wanted some helicopters. Even if i HAD that money, i wouldn't buy it. So i made 4 phone calls and networked my way to a squadron that was nice enough to allow me to come out to the strip and video to my hearts content. (This hasn't happened yet... It's ridiculously cold up here right now.) Point is, I think there's a market out there. It's gotta be cool shit though. Like Apaches. Lol

My point is, I can't shoot anything with a pre-order receipt. The day they are out of backorder and available to buy, we can discuss it, along with all the other available cameras, as a viable shooting option.

To hold it up against released cameras is a tad unfair though.

Guy 1 - "Well, the $3k BMCC i have on backorder has a better codec than your $12k 1-DC"

Guy 2 - "Shut up for a minute, i'm trying to film a scene with my 1-DC"