GH4 sky banding

Vesku

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, mercer said:

Man, with all due respect, you're a jerk face. 

I agree I am, but this jerk face prefers when people stick to the topic and keep conversation productive and to the point. This same comment on G7 pops up left and right, whether related to them or not, sometimes twice in the same topic.

Now, leave me out of your future contemplations and prayers, warrior.

14 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

Yeah this was from 2014 so I'm 99% sure it's Cine D. I just opened the old project in Premiere and exported the frame from a timeline to JPEG and TIFF.

GH4 got a FW update 2014 autumn which increased the 4k bitrate from 85Mbs to 100Mbs. Before that the banding was maybe more visible.

4 hours ago, Danko said:

I agree I am, but this jerk face prefers when people stick to the topic and keep conversation productive and to the point. This same comment on G7 pops up left and right, whether related to them or not, sometimes twice in the same topic.

Now, leave me out of your future contemplations and prayers, warrior.

What... I said with "all due respect."

24 minutes ago, j_one said:

Can I recommend you try editing in Edius if you experience major banding issues?  Their pseudo 10-bit conversion actually helps smooth gradients in all my 8 bit footage, especially from my LX100.

My issue is that I want to know if the GH4 fools with colors causing banding and is there some best settings to avoid that. I usually just look my clips without editing. Some players can add dithering to cure banding. I just wonder why GH4 videos has more banding than JPG photos. Is the luminance levels 0-255 but color levels 16-235 or what may causes the limited amount of colors? Is the YUV in general weaker to record gradients than RGB? Is the codec reducing colors to match 100Mbs in 4k?

On 3/18/2016 at 3:58 AM, Vesku said:

Maybe even GH4 iso200 looks little rough and noisy because it lacks colors between perfect gradients. Blurred areas are not smooth in GH4 video.

For sure. ISO 200 I try to avoid. Same thing with the C100. If you go lower than the native 850 ISO you get banding everywhere. Walls, skies, shirts.

43 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

For sure. ISO 200 I try to avoid. Same thing with the C100. If you go lower than the native 850 ISO you get banding everywhere. Walls, skies, shirts.

With GH4 the image has too much noise if using other than iso200. The little increase of noise, fading colors and breaking image is worse than little banding. The banding is not a big issue but I wonder why it is there. 

15 minutes ago, mercer said:

Sorry, a little OT, but how do you find out a camera's native ISO... Specifically the G7? Obviously, I have googled it but couldn't find anything. 

I do the same thing. Haha. Just searched Google. Some people say 400 and some say 800 for the GH4. Not sure officially which one it is. 400 looks cleaner though IMO.

34 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

I do the same thing. Haha. Just searched Google. Some people say 400 and some say 800 for the GH4. Not sure officially which one it is. 400 looks cleaner though IMO.

Ha. 20 pages in and all I find are references to native lenses and that you can change ISO. 

I assume since the G7 shares its sensor with the GX8, I can search for the GX8's native ISO as well. Either way, I always try and stay below ISO 800 anyway. 

7 hours ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

What ISO do you recommend for the GH4? I think I read somewhere that 320 and 640 was recommended on GH3, is it the same?

GH4 and G7 native iso is obviously iso200 in video like in photos. I recommend iso200 for video, iso200 for JPG photos and iso100 for RAW photos if there is enough light.