Insane run and gun - A7r II

Gpanazio

Hey, Guys. I wanna share my last job. It was a completely insane run and gun stealth job for a local artist making an urban intervention.

Gear used: A7r II, Sony FE 28mm F/2  (always in f/2) and Sigma ART 50mm with a Fotodiox adaptador (only a few shots).

Settings: 4k 24fps, Full frame and Crop Mode. Color: Autumn Leaves -1 -2 -3.  Used clear zoom in some shots too. AWB in all shots (specially horrible in sodium lights)

The great pro of this setup was the weight and the fact that it was perfect for point and shoot. I didn't have time to prepare, light or anything else. Probably the A7s II would made a better job with low lighting, but the superb AF (even with 50 ART + Fotodiox) plus the capability to use FF or APSC (and clear zoom( was a great deal. Hope you like it. It's not beautiful, but I think the message was delivered.

The Youtube compression is way better than vimeo (try to watch in 4k):

Context: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-35796529

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/13/americas/brazil-artist-protest/index.html

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

Insane run 'n gun?  I don't know about that.  Looks like it's less demanding than what most, documentary, news, corporate, and wedding shooters have been doing for decades.

bit harsh don;t you think?

I don't know.  From the looks of it, they spent quite a few hours driving around the streets taking an awful lot of effort at night risking arrest and personal injury, for an artistic/political cause.  I expect at the time the shooter was under a lot of pressure to get the shots while keeping a look out for authorities. At least he's made a finished piece!  

I personally enjoyed the film.  looks nice.  well edited. serves the purpose.

1 hour ago, fuzzynormal said:

Insane run 'n gun?  I don't know about that.  Looks like it's less demanding than what most, documentary, news, corporate, and wedding shooters have been doing for decades.

I've already done all these things in my small career. Doc, news, corporate, wedding... but I never covered a war or something like that, so It was really insane to me all the running and paranoia involved in doing that. It could be easy for someone, but it wasn't for me.

1 hour ago, richg101 said:

bit harsh don;t you think?

I don't know.  From the looks of it, they spent quite a few hours driving around the streets taking an awful lot of effort at night risking arrest and personal injury, for an artistic/political cause.  I expect at the time the shooter was under a lot of pressure to get the shots while keeping a look out for authorities. At least he's made a finished piece!  

I personally enjoyed the film.  looks nice.  well edited. serves the purpose.

Exactly... Thanks!

1 hour ago, richg101 said:

I'd be interested to know how you kept rolling shutter issues at bay during the car shots..  I know from experience any bumps in the road can really show the rs problems of the a7rii.  or is the hyperspeed doing well to mask any wobble?

I used the APSC mode in the car shots and didn't notice any huge rolling shutter issue. I'll see again and post here later.

22 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

IFor what it's worth, I think protests like what y'all did are great.  However, if you want to talk about insane, imagine being a documentarian and willingly going into situation like this:

In that case, that's beyond insane!