Is the era of Vimeo ending?

Ed_David

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

For non-commercial videos under Creative Commons or public domain licenses, archive.org is an alternative. It's a non-profit platform, dedicated to long-term preservation of media (and a great resource of freely reusable footage, images and audio btw.), is ad-free, has a calm interface and similarly elaborate download options as Vimeo. 

So... if I switched to youtube, my biggest concern is I feel like I'd never be able to get my videos even close to the right audience or be able to discover other decent filmmakers in the same way. Tips on how to use youtube more like vimeo in that sense? Is there an equivalent to "groups" that I'm not seeing? On youtube I just always feel like the views I get were accidental clicks by people looking for.. you know, bad videos.

In the last year Vimeo has moved a lot of their focus to business use (white-label and Sony Ci-like video proofing) which will not be counted since they're on private pages. In addition, most video is viewed in Apps (mobile) and increasingly on TVs. As such, their public numbers will likely decline even if their viewership increases. Alexa is a poor measure in this area. I think Vimeo's move towards business is a good one. We dropped Ci and are now paying Vimeo more than $1000/year for proofing and video hosting for our TV apps (multiple accounts). There's a lot more money to be had for them here than in hosting personal passion projects. 

On 31.1.2018 at 11:06 PM, Liam said:

So... if I switched to youtube, my biggest concern is I feel like I'd never be able to get my videos even close to the right audience or be able to discover other decent filmmakers in the same way. Tips on how to use youtube more like vimeo in that sense? Is there an equivalent to "groups" that I'm not seeing? On youtube I just always feel like the views I get were accidental clicks by people looking for.. you know, bad videos.

I don't know about the "bad videos". As we all know, Youtube filters the millions of clips according to your own viewing habits. I see my special interests reflected in the suggestions Youtube offers me when I open it. I do not have to search for the needle in the haystack. The less I fall for presumed clickbaits, the more nuggets appear beneath all this crap. They are there, and in bigger quantities than on Vimeo, where everything looks so decent at first glance, but turns out to be pretentious crap later, and mostly boring.

I like the idea of the open secret. Something that's already there and waits to be discovered. If it's any good, more are likely to find it sooner or later. I recently saw an analysis of The Exorcist by Rob Ager (accidentally, didn't look for it, because I wouldn't have had an idea about it in the first place). He argues that there is an open secret about this film, ignored by practically everybody, but impossible to ignore once you view the film again. The girl had been sexually abused and has suppressed this experience. Her "possession" is the answer. Over-interpreted?  Look it up!

What is needed is a guide on how to place one's own clips in Youtube so that they are found by the right audience.

And, in general, you should be able to improve the quality. Pay for higher bitrates or better compression? Why not?

3 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

It's not that complicated. I haven't been able to watch a 1080p video on Vimeo without buffer in 5 years. I have 1GB internet.

That's like not being able to eat food at a restaurant.

Best of all, in Vimeo's case you still need to pay the bill when you leave.  Great business model.

Same here. I dread playing Vimeo because of the long buffer times.almost said ‘long buffet lines’. ?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, zerocool22 said:

I honestly never had those buffer issues. I prefer vimeo for playing everything. Youtube sometimes plays the video's at a lower resolution automatically. I really hate to restart the video and then adjust the resolution to max. 

Yes this is crap about YouTube, it should remember your connection speed each time and only drop the quality if your connection is suddenly a lot slower or you are downloading a 100GB game patch on Steam in the background :)

Vimeo meanwhile, I agree with all the comments about their reliability... It's pretty shocking.

I don't know how such a well funded and successful business can continue to neglect the basic fact that they need to deliver their core business....Streaming. Videos. Smoothly!

I suppose there is a balance to be had between YouTube's pixilated first 10 seconds and Vimeo's 10 minute wait before even one frame moves.