Variable ND Filters - no lens hoods available?

Escapist

I am searching for a better solution for a lens hood using the Tiffen 77mm variable ND filter. Since there are no front threads, you have to use this in straight sunlight which washes out the colors. I don't want to use a matte box for being portable.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, aldolega said:

Lens ---> Collapsible rubber lens hood ---> ND filter.

Fold the hood back when you need to adjust the filter.

Sounds like a good plan!  (Just don't want get the filters too far out in front of the lens.)

19 hours ago, Escapist said:

I love this idea. thank you.

I appreciate the gratitude, but thanks/credit for the "hood>filter" stacking order should go to aldolega.

11 hours ago, mikeNZ said:

I tried all combos of rubber lens hood but was abit annoying on zooms with vignette at 24mm (full frame). 35mm and above okay.

Did you try trimming the rubber lens hoods back with scissors (or an Exacto knife)?

11 hours ago, mikeNZ said:

Have ended up with this. Waiting for a sunny day, looks funny but so far not bad. http://www.dinkumsystems.com/compact-lens-shade/

That's a "French flag."  I prefer a cheap matte box to French flags.

• 1 year later...
On 3/14/2016 at 2:10 AM, aldolega said:

Lens ---> Collapsible rubber lens hood ---> ND filter.

Fold the hood back when you need to adjust the filter.

Wouldn't it work even better to have the collapsible hood at the end of the variable ND? That way you only need a single hood and ND is always visible/accessible..

On 1/23/2018 at 5:39 PM, zetty said:

Wouldn't it work even better to have the collapsible hood at the end of the variable ND? That way you only need a single hood and ND is always visible/accessible..

That works better if you're never taking off the filter, otherwise you have to re-mount the hood after removing the filter, and vice versa.

Collapsing the hood takes maybe a second, just put your hand across the front and push towards the camera. Pull forward when you're done.

Adjusting a vari-ND would be a bit fiddly, true. I use fixed NDs so I don't need that quick access I guess.

I do only bring/use one hood actually. The hood just stretches over the mounting ring and fits in a groove, I leave a ring on each lens and just transfer the hood when I swap lenses.