Best 35mm option?

craigbuckley

Whats a good lens (under $500) 35mm for my gh2?

I was thinking between -

Carl Zeiss 35mm 2.4 flektogon

Nikon 35mm F2

Samyang 35mm 1.4 (most expensive)

Canon FD 35mm F2

I know its all about taste but is anyone out there to throw around some ideas? I like the idea of having a carl zeiss because of its quality and I read in the EOSHD book how the 45mm Carl Zeiss f2 is one of the sharpest lenses for its price range but I already have a canon fd 50mm, and Im guessing having a 45mm and 50mm wouldn't be too smart.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Get a Nikkor 35mm f/2.0 D lens.. Can be found extremely cheap (I see one brand new for $250) and performs well. Also in the EOSHD Speed Booster review it says (quote below).. So if that's correct the newer 35mm f/2.0 should be better than the older AI-S version. The D version probably isn't as good as the newer G version but G lenses don't have an aperture control ring on the lens the D versions do. You also get AF which you won't be able to use unless you find an adapter that supports it (I don't know if one exists) HOWEVER the trade off is that you lose the build quality and hard stop of the older manual focus lenses. With the money left over from buying the D lens you could also get a 50mm f/1.4 D or a 28mm f/2.8 D both can also be found for around $250.

"In the centre the Speed Booster actually corrects some coma and gives a small sharpness and contrast boost, however the fall off in sharpness towards the edge of the frame is more severe than on a full frame DSLR without Speed Booster. It seems to be more of a problem on old lenses designed for film than newer ones designed for digital."

Oh and I know they aren't the most popular but I'm going to throw it out there anyway since I like them lol.. You can get a Sony 35mm f/1.8 alpha lens for less than $200 brand new.. You can get a fotodiox adapter ($50) that will let you control the aperture just like Nikon lens adapters, not electronically but manually with the adapter itself. It's not as popular as Canon or Nikon options but actually performs really well.. If you looked up reviews they will be positive. 

Thanks guys. So you would vote against the samyang 35mm? I can't imagine the nikkor 35mm f2 would be as sharp as the samyang. I do need something pretty cinematic and sharp, thats why I was thinking the samyang. But I will check out the Nikkors more...

Other recommendations are still welcome. Deciding on a medium focal length prime lens for my collection around $500 budget. Something good for video like the slr magic 12mm.

Thanks guys. So you would vote against the samyang 35mm? I can't imagine the nikkor 35mm f2 would be as sharp as the samyang. I do need something pretty cinematic and sharp, thats why I was thinking the samyang. But I will check out the Nikkors more...

Other recommendations are still welcome. Deciding on a medium focal length prime lens for my collection around $500 budget. Something good for video like the slr magic 12mm.

cinematic footage isn't as sharp as you think.

here is some stuff I shot using gh2/gh3/canon 6d using rokinon aka samyang 35 1.4 and 85 1.4 (mostly 35)

keep in mind most of this footage was shot during muggy/snowy overcast days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEysEUltwKk

and this is another video shot with various lenses, (sigma 30mm, voightlander, rokinon 35 & 85) with a little better lighting outside

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=F9sc4opJ4a4

I used to think having a de clicked aperture wasn't all that important, but not I won't hardly consider a prime that isn't de clicked.

IMO in allows you to be able to fine tune the aperture a little better.

one of my absolute favorite lenses to use the the gh2 is the sigam 30mm with a variable ND filter.

it requires an adapter, but you can get a kipon adapter on ebay for like $80

a lot of the sigma 30mm can be seen in the 2nd video of this post

Yeah that video seems really nice.. Makes me more into the samyang or rokinon 35mm 1.4 - I just need one more strong lens that I can use for alot of my shoots.

I thought 12mm would be my primary lens but its just too wide so I figured a 25mm or 35mm would be great.

I'm leaning towards the samyang 35mm ($400), Leica 25mm ($500), or the more expensive voigtlander 25mm .95 ($900)

Any help deciding between these three?

I'm thinking about putting a rokinon cine kit together for my gh3. The speed booster will make it rather versatile. 14mm = 20/28. 24mm = 33/48. 35mm = 49/70. 85mm = 119/170... I'm not holding out much hope for a smart m43 speed booster. Might skip the 35 and splurge on a Zeiss makro-planar 50mm later on. I now have an erection

Yeah that video seems really nice.. Makes me more into the samyang or rokinon 35mm 1.4 - I just need one more strong lens that I can use for alot of my shoots.

I thought 12mm would be my primary lens but its just too wide so I figured a 25mm or 35mm would be great.

I'm leaning towards the samyang 35mm ($400), Leica 25mm ($500), or the more expensive voigtlander 25mm .95 ($900)

Any help deciding between these three?

Like I said earlier, de clicked is a good thing to have.  I wouldn't lie to you.  When you get to using it you will understand what I'm saying.

I sent back the voightlander 25mm to exchange for the 17.5 for this reason alone, and I've had to regrets.

not to mention the rokinon lenses have a pretty smooth focus, it's not real tight and just turns like butter, but not too loose.

order one from BH, use it for a few days, and if you don't like it send it back or exchange it.  I've never bought ANYTHING from BH that I was stuck with owning.  they are really good about returns, and sometimes they will pay return shipping.

cinematic footage isn't as sharp as you think.
here is some stuff I shot using gh2/gh3/canon 6d using rokinon aka samyang 35 1.4 and 85 1.4 (mostly 35)
keep in mind most of this footage was shot during muggy/snowy overcast days.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEysEUltwKk

and this is another video shot with various lenses, (sigma 30mm, voightlander, rokinon 35 & 85) with a little better lighting outside
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=F9sc4opJ4a4

I used to think having a de clicked aperture wasn't all that important, but not I won't hardly consider a prime that isn't de clicked.
IMO in allows you to be able to fine tune the aperture a little better.

one of my absolute favorite lenses to use the the gh2 is the sigam 30mm with a variable ND filter.
it requires an adapter, but you can get a kipon adapter on ebay for like $80
a lot of the sigma 30mm can be seen in the 2nd video of this post

+1 on the Roki.

I'd also say the Canon FD looks great. I like the 50 1.4 better though. Keep in mind, you're using a hacked GH2 & it can cut glass like cold diamond nipples with the right lens. (See recent Zacuto shootout with the $20,000 Fuji on the front of one running a Driftwood patch..lol.. Surgery.) A lot of people will say aim for the vintage stuff to roll the edges off a little bit. I use old AIS's. i bought a whole set on KEH in ex+ cond. for less than $700 & i'll probably never get rid of them... Lest i stumble upon the aftermath of a gunfight with no survivors involving a Masterprime exchange.