Favorite small gimbal?

Ed_David

Looking at the new Pocket camera and thinking it would be great on a 3-axis gimbal.

Anyway have experience with the Came-TV Single or the Nebula or the H+ - 

I'm reading mixed things on all of them.

Is there a better one, besides the Ronin-M or Movi-M - something that is small and good.

Assume it's all just a compromise.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I owned the Nebula 4000. A total bitch to calibrate but it was super small and I've seen a number of people that can make it sing, but I never really could. I now have a Came TV Single, the fact that you can't tune it without violating the warranty is a serious bummer and its pretty big. I suspect with a lot of careful practice and tuning you could get good results with if you dare messing with PID on it but I find out of box that it's mediocre. If was doing it today I would look at the Beholder, which is tool less or the new PilotFly--presuming you can tune it with its new encoders. It's got a rich (for gimbal guys) ecosystem of settings that people share making it easy to configure. I would also never buy a gimbal that is not tool less at this point. With NAB around the corner it's probably better to wait but if you can't I would say in this segment that the PilotFly H2 is ticking all the boxes at this point.

Or save a ton of money and get a Beholder DS1.
I did.
Love it.
Tool less. 1.6KG max payload. $699 from the main importer Owl Dolly.
The dual-weight programability is lovely. So I can go from a really light Pocket with a Voightlander 20mm pancake to a 5D or NX1 with something like the Samyang 16mm or 24mm on it.
Essentially it duplicates the 3 basic modes but comes with, and allows changing of, the motor strengths for the two groups. This is critical if you're going to attempt to use more than one camera on it...ever.

I have a Pilotfly H1+ (which we should be seeing on sale used now that the H2 is out) and it's decent.. weight and portability are good, stabilization is good.  Getting it balanced is slow and requires a mini allen wrench though.  The other big downside is battery life, which not great (1.5 - 2 hrs), but more importantly the battery is built-in (same on the H2).  I bought an external USB battery pack with 12V output so I could charge it in the field (as well as use it for charging my camera and phone), but the DS1's 18650 type 2600 mAh batteries are much more convenient.

20 minutes ago, Xavier Plágaro Mussard said:

The secret for a good result is to put a lightweight camera with OIS and the settings on the gimbal.

My Ronin-M works great with full IBIS on the Sony. 

I think the products need time to mature before the pistol grip becomes good enough.

Even though they have the Osmo, DJI will surely move to the market for an "any small camera" pistol grip soon. 

7 hours ago, DPStewart said:

Or save a ton of money and get a Beholder DS1.
I did.
Love it.
Tool less. 1.6KG max payload. $699 from the main importer Owl Dolly.
The dual-weight programability is lovely. So I can go from a really light Pocket with a Voightlander 20mm pancake to a 5D or NX1 with something like the Samyang 16mm or 24mm on it.
Essentially it duplicates the 3 basic modes but comes with, and allows changing of, the motor strengths for the two groups. This is critical if you're going to attempt to use more than one camera on it...ever.

Im also looking to get a Gimbal, and also use the Samyang 14/24mm combo with NX1. Does it work good with that combo ? Got any example footge ?

8 hours ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

Im also looking to get a Gimbal, and also use the Samyang 14/24mm combo with NX1. Does it work good with that combo ? Got any example footge ?

While I have tested the DS1 extensively with the NX1, I haven't compiled much footage yet as I haven't had the need.
The bulk of my use has been with the Blackmagic Pocket Camera so I can shoot RAW.

I can shoot some with the Samyang 10mm, which is bigger than the 16mm. Works fine.
I've put the 24mm on it, but I don't own one.

4 hours ago, DPStewart said:

While I have tested the DS1 extensively with the NX1, I haven't compiled much footage yet as I haven't had the need.
The bulk of my use has been with the Blackmagic Pocket Camera so I can shoot RAW.

I can shoot some with the Samyang 10mm, which is bigger than the 16mm. Works fine.
I've put the 24mm on it, but I don't own one.

And does it hold the weight of the 24mm easy ?

24 minutes ago, ricardo_sousa11 said:

And does it hold the weight of the 24mm easy ?

You do have to make all the physical adjustments to get it to balance, but it is within the weight limit and the 24mm is just within the size range of being too long to get a workable center of balance. A little wight added to the hot shoe on top of the camera can help too.