NX1 vs a6300 image quality?

s0ny

Aside from lowlight- and frankly you can compensate for that with fast lenses, I think the nx1 image is better.

I have no plans to get a a6300 because if ýou have an nx1 and don't need something specfic that the sony has, there's no reason to.

The examples I've seen don't do much for me. The test in my hands is always how well the image grades.

Can I get it to where I want it, even when the footage isn't perfectly lit and all that? The nx1's 4k footage is pretty flexible, it's not raw, but you can push it around. I have no issue getting "cinematic" looking footage out of the color grade.

The only thing I still struggle with is some of the darker areas can lose detail, a black level thing. I've been shooting mostly under the colorless slate gray swedish winter skies and frankly if I can get a pleasing image out of that swill, sunlight should be easy.

The nx1's detail surprises me every time. It is too sharp, but that's way better than not being sharp enough. It's fixable. I've shot with both samsung and manual lenses, although nothing older, and the image is always stunning.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

Yeah I was using them and they only perform optimally stopped down (on the nx1 body). I loved the aesthetic but the optics is designed for film. Since then I've got the zeiss milvus lenses and they are ridiculously sharp and contrasty. Think the nx1 is optimized for lenses built for digital sensors. Its a gift and a curse because my nikkors and canon fd's were fine on the gh4 and a7s

How does it like the Canon FDs? Same story as the Nikkors?

54 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

I'm starting to see that. Milvus glass isn't cheap, either.

So when you say stopped down...the Nikkors and Canons didn't look good until f/4? 5.6? F/8?

Milvus glass has me booking as much gigs as possible just to pay it off LOL ! The nikkors like the 50 1.2 started to resolve good detail at 2.8-3.5. Shooting wide open even if you nail focus gave a diffused look which on any other camera would look beautiful but on the NX1 just looks low res. 

I'm sorry, I'm going to have to completely disagree with kidzrevil on this topic, I've shot on both Nikon AI and Canon FD and gotten great results. I don't think you need razor sharp lenses for the camera. The canon FD 28mm works great on the camera. Do the sharp ones pop more and work better with H265? Yes. That does not mean they are unusable.

@Geoff CB sorry if I came off as if I were trying to say those vintage fd's and nikkors were crap lenses. They have a very unique character to them but H.265 is totally unforgiving in my opinion. Weird artifacts galore. Low resolution and low contrast areas of the image takes a hit. Gotta be a combination of h.265 and the noise reduction. I found it better to use the modern glass. Im sure the same holds true for users that use their S line of glass. Im guessing the sensor is made specifically for high resolving glass...hence the emergence of their S line around the time the nx1 dropped

I think what's trying to be said about some lens is that the sensor can resolve more detail than the lens can show. In a way you could say the camera is 4k and the lens can only show 2k detail. Hence the lenses that cannot show as much detail will make the final image softer. So, it's not really an old lens thing, I'm sure that there are older lenses that can resolve 4k and newer lenses that cannot.

And just because a lens is 2k(or whatever you want to call it) does not mean it's a bad combo with the nx1, it'll just look not as crisp and sharp, which could be a very good thing, it that's what the look you're going after.

15 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

@Geoff CB sorry if I came off as if I were trying to say those vintage fd's and nikkors were crap lenses. They have a very unique character to them but H.265 is totally unforgiving in my opinion. Weird artifacts galore. Low resolution and low contrast areas of the image takes a hit. Gotta be a combination of h.265 and the noise reduction. I found it better to use the modern glass. Im sure the same holds true for users that use their S line of glass. Im guessing the sensor is made specifically for high resolving glass...hence the emergence of their S line around the time the nx1 dropped

I know you probably did not mean it that way, but many of your posts seemed to say that other glass were not even worth consideration with the camera. You said you "had to get rid of" your Canon FD's because of the sensor. I don't want people to think the NX1 isn't an option unless you purchase the most expensive glass possible, because I don't find that to be true.

2 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

I know you probably did not mean it that way, but many of your posts seemed to say that other glass were not even worth consideration with the camera. You said you "had to get rid of" your Canon FD's because of the sensor. I don't want people to think the NX1 isn't an option unless you purchase the most expensive glass possible, because I don't find that to be true.

It is what it is man. In my personal findings glass made in the late 70's for film cameras for obvious reasons just didn't perform as well as glass designed for digital bodies in the new millenia. it's just a very demanding sensor that sadly older lenses can't keep up with. I guarantee you any of the lenses designed by Samsung resolve a hell of a lot more detail on an mtf chart than a vintage lens. I doubt they built the camera with lens adaptation in mind. Everything was designed for them to take advantage of their own high end tech.

4 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

It is what it is man. In my personal findings glass made in the late 70's for film cameras for obvious reasons just didn't perform as well as glass designed for digital bodies in the new millenia. it's just a very demanding sensor that sadly older lenses can't keep up with. I guarantee you any of the lenses designed by Samsung resolve a hell of a lot more detail on an mtf chart than a vintage lens. I doubt they built the camera with lens adaptation in mind. Everything was designed for them to take advantage of their own high end tech.

I'd still be interested to see how Leica R, Contax Zeiss, and Minolta Rokkor glass performs on it. All three brands resolve famously well for video.

Geoff, he's not saying they're bad lenses, period. I'd be hurt if he knocked my FDs. But as has been discussed in other NX1 topics, the sensor just doesn't play nice with a lot of glass--a combination of the camera's high pixel density and "worked over" video processing/encoding. 

Kidzrevil isn't trying to insult anyone. I think if his FDs looked awesome on the NX1, he'd be pretty stoked. We're all just sharing our experiences as honestly as we can. :)

@TheRenaissanceMan @Geoff CB exactly. The FD L series lenses I had were some of the best aesthetic wise. The weight,handling and focus ring was top quality. But as what was said earlier, the pixel density is just too much for these older lenses. Parting with my FD's and Nikkors to raise $ for the zeiss glass was one of my hardest decisions. The post processing ends up being excessive with older lenses, with the newer glass I guess the video processing doesn't see a need to jack up in cam sharpening. Thats my current theory. There is some kind of threshold for detail that needs to be resolved before the nx1 triggers the processor. Its kinda like the crispening feature on the sony a7 line

On 3/10/2016 at 9:13 AM, kidzrevil said:

Yeah I was using them and they only perform optimally stopped down (on the nx1 body). I loved the aesthetic but the optics is designed for film. Since then I've got the zeiss milvus lenses and they are ridiculously sharp and contrasty. Think the nx1 is optimized for lenses built for digital sensors. Its a gift and a curse because my nikkors and canon fd's were fine on the gh4 and a7s

Can you post a sample?

22 minutes ago, /Chop N Shoot Films/ said:

Can you post a sample?

+1

Yeah, I'd be curious as to what people are talking about on either side of the fence. Stuff I've seen online looks nice, but I'm not overly critical, so examples would be cool to learn a thing or two. Otherwise, talk is cheap!

2 hours ago, /Chop N Shoot Films/ said:

Can you post a sample?

This is with the zeiss milvus glass (and tiffen black satin filter)

this is with my nikkor 50mm. Download originals

My theory are the zeiss (and any other high resolving modern lens ) is producing true resolution at 6k so the image processor is not sharpening the image. You can see in the nikkor that since the lens is not resolving at 6k the processor ramps up in camera sharpening. I attribute this to a lot of the sharpening artifacts in the second video

1 hour ago, vaga said:

@kidzrevil, would you recommend getting the zeiss lenses for either the NX1or the a6300? 

I never used the a6300 so I truly do not know but I personally would not. I always worry about damaging the mount of smaller cameras. I am iffy about even putting them on my nx1 ! Oddly enough I think the sony sensors look better with canon fd lenses. I only got the zeiss for the nx1 cause the sensor is very picky. Its resolution hungry

Here's a clip the include both the A6300 and the NX1. Not the greatest example because it looks like the saturation and contrast are not turned down on the NX1.

I did not shoot it.  Looking at crop fact, rolling shutter, ergonomics, battery life and over heating the NX1 wins.  Looking at the picture I see in the video above I like the A6300 better.