NX1 vs a6300 image quality?

s0ny

Hi guys, 

I've been watching ALL the a6300 hands-on reviews so far. While there is A LOT of hype on this camera (and i'm impressed by the AF capabilities), I still want to ask - is the NX1 or the a6300 better in terms of image quality? 

The NX1 caught my eye on YouTube (when the compression is so horrible, yet the NX1 can retain its sharpness and colors so well) and so far, it doesn't seem that the a6300 has beaten this 2 year old camera yet. 

Would also like to check - how easy is it to grade Sony A series footage that looks like NX1 colors? does it take a a lot of time? 

Lastly, is there any chance of Samsung releasing a successor to the NX1, given there are so many rumors of them abandoning their business? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Id imagine the image coming out of the NX1 is better overall, but the A6300 should perform better in low light. Also the 2x crop for slow-mo is a huge turn off for me, however, theres a speedbooster to make it FF. I currently own an NX1, and might get an A6300 in the future as a B cam, but I wanna see how it performs, specially concerning rolling shutter/overheating and so on.

Inside of ISO 1600, they will be similar.   The NX1 video degrades at 3200, whereas the A6300 seems to degrade at 6400.   This is not the case for stills.  

I have an NX1, and A6000, and they are totally different cameras.  The NX1 is a joy to shoot with, higher hit rate on shallow depth of field, easy to use and fun to interact with. 

My opinion?  As good as the A6300 is, the NX1 retains APS-C champion hybrid status for 2 more years.  The only competition will be from the GH5 with 4k 60fps, if they can pull it off, which they will have to do remain in the game. 

1 hour ago, Arizona Sunset said:

Inside of ISO 1600, they will be similar.   The NX1 video degrades at 3200, whereas the A6300 seems to degrade at 6400.   This is not the case for stills.  

I have an NX1, and A6000, and they are totally different cameras.  The NX1 is a joy to shoot with, higher hit rate on shallow depth of field, easy to use and fun to interact with. 

My opinion?  As good as the A6300 is, the NX1 retains APS-C champion hybrid status for 2 more years.  The only competition will be from the GH5 with 4k 60fps, if they can pull it off, which they will have to do remain in the game. 

Are you sure the a6300 degrades from 6400? The sample from cinema 5d shows much more than that!

I don't think you can really say until users get their hands on it. I am somewhat dubious about the objectivity of review sites like cinema 5d, especially when they are using pre-production models with potentially beta firmware.

As a practical matter, the A6000 cameras are a bit small IMO, especially once you stick good glass on it. Personally I think the general dimensions of the NX1 are ideal, at least for my hands (which are smaller than most). People with larger hands might find the A6300 a bit awkward to use. I think that is an important consideration - does the grip seat comfortably in your hand, so that it feels like an extension of you rather than something you are trying to keep hold of.

Oh, and regarding a successor to the NX1. There is zero hope from Samsung I think. The best bet would be if the product line were sold off to someone else. The NX2 would have been due for a Photokina 2016 release, so if there are any developments on that front we should see it then with someone else's name on the faceplate. If there is nothing then the NX line is done for good.

1 hour ago, sandro said:

Are you sure the a6300 degrades from 6400? The sample from cinema 5d shows much more than that!

Are you sure? :) 

This makes me think, G7's big brother, not A7S II's little brother (the noise starts dancing around everywhere, shadows, highlights, etc, right at ISO 3200 - this is not as a good as the R II in s35 mode even):

10 minutes ago, Arizona Sunset said:

Are you sure? :) 

This makes me think, G7's big brother, not A7S II's little brother (the noise starts dancing around everywhere, shadows, highlights, etc, right at ISO 3200 - this is not as a good as the R II in s35 mode even):

OK but compared to the NX1 is way ahead, I mean 12800 is decent, NX1's 3200 stars being unusable.

If you are still on the fence about these cameras, I'll add my two cents.  I've only had the NX1 for a short while.  Before that, it was an LX100.  Since I've had the NX1, the LX100 stays home a lot.  NX1 feels great to shoot with, is weather resistant and, with a faster lens...night shots are easily attainable.  I'm by no means a pro...but the pictures and video I am getting out of this camera make me look like one!

6 hours ago, /Chop N Shoot Films/ said:

How so? You can use Nikon AI glass and get sharp images.

Yeah I was using them and they only perform optimally stopped down (on the nx1 body). I loved the aesthetic but the optics is designed for film. Since then I've got the zeiss milvus lenses and they are ridiculously sharp and contrasty. Think the nx1 is optimized for lenses built for digital sensors. Its a gift and a curse because my nikkors and canon fd's were fine on the gh4 and a7s