is it possible to use Luts for grading raw stills in Photoshop orLlightroom?

cojocaru27

Hi Guys,

Probably this is a stupid question and i am sorry if i pollute the forum with it. I just want to have that specific filmish look to my stills as well. I would love to be a click away, like the luts are working in FCP X, in grading a raw still. Thank you for your answers and it's great to be part of such a nice community.

cheers

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yes you can use Luts in Photoshop.

When you open a raw in Photoshop you will get the ACR window. At the bottom it will say "Adobe RGB (1998), 8bit, etc..." click on this. Now select 16bit, and also click "Open in Photoshop as Smart Objects".

This simple step will give you the best quality and let you do RAW adjustments after opening the file in PS (just double click on the thumbnail on the layer window).

Now you can make an Adjustment layer called "Color Lookup" which will let you select a lut. (you can do this without the first step)

thank you guys for the answers. I think the "Color Lookup" is the easy way out. Nice to be able to use the Luts when you want a specific treatment for your photos aswell. I am working as an art director and when i have to put up a production brief together with some refrences for the mood and look, it helps a lot.

Now i have to find a way to preload the luts files in the Color Lookup otherwise i have to load each lut everytime i want to use it. I just want to have it in the drop menu of the existing ones.

These are to stills i took during my trip in Japan last year. Taken with OMD M5, old one, and treated with luts for the filmish look. I will make a series and i'll post some before and after side by side to see the outcome. It's just amazing how easy you can get rid of the digital, extra sharp look.

Only if M5 had this quality for video!

_7120259.jpg

_7120371.jpg

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, TwoScoops said:

^ I've wondered about trying that. Has anyone exported CR2/NEF from LR as a DNG then opened in Resolve?

You could also use the free Adobe DNG converter as well, just in case you don't buy into the Adobe subscription plan.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

7 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

FYI with the latest Lightroom update we can finally use LUTs for images without the need to go to photoshop!

https://***URL removed***/news/1511565626/adobe-releases-massive-update-to-camera-profiles-in-acr-and-lightroom

Wow, that's a great update!