Sony a6300 vs Panasonic gh4

Eduardo Granadsztejn

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

without knowing anything else like what other equipment you currently have. I would say the a6300 is the better option but wait for a few months till their are some good independent reviews up by reputable reviewers to confirm what we have seen so far about this camera.

I don't expect it to get bad reviews but I personally never buy a camera right out the gates because I buy gear with the expectation it will last me 4 or 5 years so I don't mind waiting an extra month or two.

Hello Eduardo.

Not many of us have got the A6300 yet. Based on specs and test footage only, I've sold my GH4 and pre-ordered the A6300 looking for better low light, better stills and tracking AF. But I might regret this later, who knows. I might have to wait a couple of weeks and see.

The GH4 looked durable enough, and i guess it's more versatile considering it has better Full HD 60p, similar slow-motion performance, audio monitoring (headphones out), 4:3 mode, better rolling shutter.

I have the GH4, and I was thinking of the A6300. Not so sure anymore, might even pick up a G7! Hey, that would be a major improvement for you coming from a T2i. Plus, you save some cash and can buy yourself a Metabones Speedbooster plus glass to go with it!

1 hour ago, andy lee said:

Metabones XL and G7 is a killer combination , G7 is much cleaner in the blacks and less noise than GH4 , G7 codec is very thick you can grade it to extreme levels with no micro blocking , its like grading ProRes!! ~andy lee

yeah, depends on quite a bit. not gonna do the whole what if you don't actually need 4k thing ;) are these your top choices because of budget? if so, yeah, maybe g7 would be better suited than a gh4, with almost as much in its favor (no log, 96fps, or log basically). if you want to get really into the grading, the a6300 might be the better option. a little more out of the box image, the panasonic might be the better option. if you don't want to add the cost of speedboosting, the a6300 might be better for sensor size and lowlight, as well as possibly adapting short flange distance retro lenses, using more of the glass. if you'll use anamorphic lenses, the gh4 might be better. if you want ten bit (for log or otherwise), gh4 with external recorder, hands down. if you'll use LUTs, or if you'll want to experiment with that, you'll probably want the log option. maybe find some original footage from each first to play with or wait for some reviews of the a6300. might not be able to go too wrong with either really

I'd include in the Panasonic G7 as well! A Panasonic G7 should be the #1 4K camera a person first looks at :) Some people even prefer it over the GH4.

Best feature about it is.....   CHEAP! :-D And this is more important than you think, as it is still very very early days for 4K in consumer stills cameras. I bet within a year or two we'll see a huge flood of new 4K cameras having been released. So just get a camera for *now*, then upgrade to something else in the future. And the G7 is perfect for that case for a *now* 4K camera.

5 minutes ago, bzpop said:

don't make your choice between today (a6300) and yesterday (GH4), at least wait till GH5 comes out

You know what´s the problem?

If rumors are true the gh5 will be announced next september, and I will travel to NY next July (I´m from Uruguay, and that is my chence to getting a camera at right price)

I will wait until NAB 2016 but every rumor point the gh5 to photokina :P

If you are unable to buy a camera for a long time, the GH4 is a proven workhorse and should provide a stable platform for use.  With Panasonic weather sealing on their lenses and body, it would make a better "really long term" investment.

Alternatively, you might be able to pick up a camera like the NX1 and S lenses in Europe at rock bottom prices by then.  

I'd skip the A6300 simply because Sony's focus will never be APS-C - the lenses available and fine tuned for APS-C today are all that you get. 

On 08/03/2016 at 9:37 AM, IronFilm said:

I'd include in the Panasonic G7 as well! A Panasonic G7 should be the #1 4K camera a person first looks at :) Some people even prefer it over the GH4.

Best feature about it is.....   CHEAP! :-D And this is more important than you think, as it is still very very early days for 4K in consumer stills cameras. I bet within a year or two we'll see a huge flood of new 4K cameras having been released. So just get a camera for *now*, then upgrade to something else in the future. And the G7 is perfect for that case for a *now* 4K camera.

G7 beats the GH4 hands down - much cleaner image and amazing low light clean blacks no noise !! is that good Panasonic have given me 4 cameras to shoot a feature film with.

9 hours ago, andy lee said:

G7 beats the GH4 hands down - much cleaner image and amazing low light clean blacks no noise !! is that good Panasonic have given me 4 cameras to shoot a feature film with.

That's a very interesting and strong view. Looking forward to any other opinions about this. Only benefit I seem to make use of is the battery life with the GH4 which I love, but changing batteries isn't too much of a big deal with my tripod. Would consider swapping if the G7 went down to £250 again as it would free up cash for a lens or speedbooster. 

• 5 weeks later...

Andy Lee you said   "Yes buy one g7 recording internal is in my opinion as good as in places better than / comparable to red and Alexa , its that good ,g7 is great for stills too , this is the best Panasonic camera so far ...in my opinion ."   Better or comparable to red and Alexa!   Mr. Lee, with all due respect, really?  

If I could have only one camera, it would be the GH4. I have left it out overnight in the rain, the timelapse completed. The batteries last forever, the 100mbps codec is solid, it never even gets warm. I have my three zoom trinity that covers everything @ f2.8. I don't have to buy U3 cards to get the camera to actually record. 10 bit external 1080 is good too. The panasonic is a really solid camera if you want have something to rely on and never have to worry about it. Used GH4s are going for <$900 aud now, compared to AUD$1500 for the A6300. I know what I would buy.