Automated Slider Systems

HelsinkiZim

I would like some advice as to which (automated) slider system you would suggest I invest in. It is for corporate work - real estate, interviews and the occasional timelapse. I won't have an assistant so I would like to focus on camera A while the slider does the work in an interview scenario.

I like the idea of the curved slider for interviews with mechanics that keep frame of the subject (curved, or not?). I also would like to buy a straight automated slider for more traditional tracking shots. But is there something that does both?

What are you all using on paid shoots?

I would like to spend less than a grand on both, or it. But as always cheapest option that gets the job done is paramount.

Thanks for your advice(s) in advance.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Edelkrone slider with action + target module or Red Rock's 'one man crew' parabolic slider...both way over a grand, even used. Edelkrone will do almost all things you mentioned, but only with target + action module add-ons...Red Rock's parabolic slider is fixed in an arc track (and I don't think does timelapse).

Either hire in one of these for each job, or try to find a cheaper version from another manufacturer...but these are the only two I've used and would personally recommend not breaking after 3 weeks.

Not sure that a grand will get you very far for a motorised slider that is built well, no doubt there may be a few out there, but I'd be surprised if you could find a decent one that could be set in autonomous mode or do timelapse for that kind of money. 2k seems to be the starting price of most commercially motorised sliders that are not made of Lego.

Personally, i'd make my own if money was tight...buy a cheap linear and curved slider, then retro-fit your own belt, motors and controller. Making an autonomous 'ping-pong' mode would also be quite simple. But remember, even with the Red Rock + Edelkrone sliders, motor noise can sometimes be an issue when using for interviews (although Red Rock slider is pretty quiet).  

1 hour ago, Hans Punk said:

Edelkrone slider with action + target module or Red Rock's 'one man crew' parabolic slider...both way over a grand, even used. Edelkrone will do almost all things you mentioned, but only with target + action module add-ons...Red Rock's parabolic slider is fixed in an arc track (and I don't think does timelapse).

Either hire in one of these for each job, or try to find a cheaper version from another manufacturer...but these are the only two I've used and would personally recommend not breaking after 3 weeks.

Not sure that a grand will get you very far for a motorised slider that is built well, no doubt there may be a few out there, but I'd be surprised if you could find a decent one that could be set in autonomous mode or do timelapse for that kind of money. 2k seems to be the starting price of most commercially motorised sliders that are not made of Lego.

Personally, i'd make my own if money was tight...buy a cheap linear and curved slider, then retro-fit your own belt, motors and controller. Making an autonomous 'ping-pong' mode would also be quite simple. But remember, even with the Red Rock + Edelkrone sliders, motor noise can sometimes be an issue when using for interviews (although Red Rock slider is pretty quiet).  

Thanks for your feedback.

Yeah, I looked into Redrock One Man Crew Director http://store.redrockmicro.com/OneManCrew.html , I just wished I could ascertain if it did a vertical 'jib' shot, but it unclear from the website. Its a pretty big rig to tilt on a single tripod?

In my view the extra cost could possibly justify itself if I consider the cost of having a camera assistant on the shoots that need 2 cameras for an interview. I was just hoping for some slider knight in shining armor that I hadn't heard of. But as always, we have to pay out the nose for actually functional and sturdy gear. I am learning to accept this.

I would build my own kit, but the time I would spend figuring that all out would be better spent elsewhere, like with my drone or stabilzation systems which are not necessarily must haves for my professional work (more like icing). For this I am happy to just get a solid system that does what I need it to do for one fiscal cycle, with warranty and equipment insurance.

By the way, have you used or heard of Syrp Genie system https://syrp.co.nz/products/genie?

Edit: Edelkrone seems the way to go. I will look into the sound issues to see how the can be circumvented or gated in post. Thanks!

I saw one that was convertible not too long ago. You'd have to bend a thin piece of metal to curve it. Can't find it for the life of me.

I did come across this though: http://www.revolvecamera.com/collections/all/products/ram-motorized-slider-bundlehttp://www.revolvecamera.com/collections/all/products/ram-motorized-pan-tilt-head . http://cinetics.com/axis360-pro/ That might work for ya?

1 hour ago, Cinegain said:

I saw one that was convertible not too long ago. You'd have to bend a thin piece of metal to curve it. Can't find it for the life of me.

http://centurioni.com/multislider/

Probably this one, right? They pitched it on startnext.com, but it didn't get funded. Apparently they are self-financing it now. Looks real easy to use and everything, but it will certainly take some time for production.

Nope, nothing like it. It was a straight slider, not curved, then you added a bent peace of metal to it within two slots reserved in the straight slider I guess which connected to the ballhead, so as the slider dolly moved, so would the ballhead. Or the dolly really was riding along the curved track. Usually my memory and searchskills don't let me down like this, I guess this is one of these rare occassions, lol. I mean, there are similar Konova, Varavon, etc set-ups, but mostly the require a 2nd rail on the back that does that too. Kinda a little something like this I believe:

mesAu12.png