MattH

Feck me, Vimeo sucks now!

On 3/10/2016 at 9:58 AM, OliKMIA said:

Since vimeo is not getting advertisement money. They must handle the associated cost of 4k in terms of storage and bandwidth. Implementing this auto-resolution thing might be solution to compensate the 4K. In other words give on one side and take it back from the other side.

I saw this earlier and thought how bad things must be if users are telling their viewers to go to Youtube.  It's not a good sign.

56e9e42e65776_ScreenShot2016-03-17at00.4

But, I think it must have something to do with 4k. I first heard about 4k 2 years ago after being out of the loop for 4 years or so. When I looked into it everything was suggesting that there was no need to worry about updating or future proofing equipment because 4K would take a while to roll into the mainstream, like true HD did. But damn, a year later... 4K is here.

I don't know if 4k is the viewing standard yet, but I imagine everyone and there mother is uploading 4K files to streaming sites and behinds the scenes they must be shitting their pants when they get their bandwidth and maintenance bills. 

This is probably how Vimeo is responding to cutting costs somewhere that doesn't leave bob, sue and peter out of a job or raising their prices... which would spark a mass exodus... which would leave bob, sue and peter out of job anyways.

They must be going through a scary time, I have been a part of a company going under and it was not fun.

Alphabet on the other hand can add another couple of zeros to their Youtube losses and play the long game.

As we know, they have all the monies.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony Cameras
CMB    8
On 9 March 2016 at 11:27 AM, MattH said:

You have to be joking even testing for a bandwidth issue if that is your connection. ....Trust me, speeds this low are not uncommon at all. many rural exchanges in the UK are limited to 2 meg.

You make a fair point. I'm thankful, believe me. I live in a specific area of Yorkshire where they're rolling out next gen fibre. Before I got by on 2-5mg downloads and 0.3 uploads. So it's something I appreciate everyday.

ive tested Vimeo a bunch since on my mobile with varying 3G /4G connections since but that's probably still to fast to show any issues? 

1 hour ago, CMB said:

You make a fair point. I'm thankful, believe me. I live in a specific area of Yorkshire where they're rolling out next gen fibre. Before I got by on 2-5mg downloads and 0.3 uploads. So it's something I appreciate everyday.

ive tested Vimeo a bunch since on my mobile with varying 3G /4G connections since but that's probably still to fast to show any issues? 

Its probably down-resing on your phone.  I doubt if it will be streaming at native resolution. Could be wrong though.