Feck me, Vimeo sucks now!

MattH

On 3/10/2016 at 9:58 AM, OliKMIA said:

Since vimeo is not getting advertisement money. They must handle the associated cost of 4k in terms of storage and bandwidth. Implementing this auto-resolution thing might be solution to compensate the 4K. In other words give on one side and take it back from the other side.

I saw this earlier and thought how bad things must be if users are telling their viewers to go to Youtube.  It's not a good sign.

56e9e42e65776_ScreenShot2016-03-17at00.4

But, I think it must have something to do with 4k. I first heard about 4k 2 years ago after being out of the loop for 4 years or so. When I looked into it everything was suggesting that there was no need to worry about updating or future proofing equipment because 4K would take a while to roll into the mainstream, like true HD did. But damn, a year later... 4K is here.

I don't know if 4k is the viewing standard yet, but I imagine everyone and there mother is uploading 4K files to streaming sites and behinds the scenes they must be shitting their pants when they get their bandwidth and maintenance bills. 

This is probably how Vimeo is responding to cutting costs somewhere that doesn't leave bob, sue and peter out of a job or raising their prices... which would spark a mass exodus... which would leave bob, sue and peter out of job anyways.

They must be going through a scary time, I have been a part of a company going under and it was not fun.

Alphabet on the other hand can add another couple of zeros to their Youtube losses and play the long game.

As we know, they have all the monies.

• 2 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 9 March 2016 at 11:27 AM, MattH said:

You have to be joking even testing for a bandwidth issue if that is your connection. ....Trust me, speeds this low are not uncommon at all. many rural exchanges in the UK are limited to 2 meg.

You make a fair point. I'm thankful, believe me. I live in a specific area of Yorkshire where they're rolling out next gen fibre. Before I got by on 2-5mg downloads and 0.3 uploads. So it's something I appreciate everyday.

ive tested Vimeo a bunch since on my mobile with varying 3G /4G connections since but that's probably still to fast to show any issues? 

1 hour ago, CMB said:

You make a fair point. I'm thankful, believe me. I live in a specific area of Yorkshire where they're rolling out next gen fibre. Before I got by on 2-5mg downloads and 0.3 uploads. So it's something I appreciate everyday.

ive tested Vimeo a bunch since on my mobile with varying 3G /4G connections since but that's probably still to fast to show any issues? 

Its probably down-resing on your phone.  I doubt if it will be streaming at native resolution. Could be wrong though.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
  • Administrators
1 hour ago, serrini said:

Vimeo just deleted my account over a cartoon I uploaded a decade ago as a student. Gone. Poof. Everything I ever build, hundreds of films, millions of views, an entire career, GONE. No conversation, just gone. I'm in a nightmare. https://cineclast.com/2022/03/02/vimeo-deleted-my-account-and-ruined-my-life-because-of-a-cartoon-from-1928/

Sorry to hear it.

I stopped using Vimeo a while back and went to YouTube for exactly this reason. Felt like they were holding a gun to my head that could go off at any time.

2 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Holy crap. Vimeo starts to become unpleasant to use. I dislike to have to log in to watch certain so called unrated videos. Staff picks don´t fit my bill neither with their hipster oriented nowness videos. Social struggles don´t come in pretty corporate colours.

Yeah the site is annoying now, but the videos still look better than YouTube. FYI, you can refresh the screen instead of logging in and it will allow you to watch them. What annoys me the most is when you look at a users videos, they don't list them from newest to oldest and they don't tell you the upload date unless you click on it.

I cancelled my paid Vimeo a year back as i wasn't using it and YouTube provides a better service for free.

I don't really see a future for Vimeo TBH. From the poor playback performance to their summary deletion of videos there's nothing in their "offer" that keeps me there. I've downloaded all my old videos and will likely delete the account so it is one less to think about.

At one point when i was working in Soho everyone wanted to be a "Vimeo Staff Pick" but it very quickly became a self parody of fart-sniffing self congratulatory hipness. Now it's just irrelevant tbh.

Vimeo is still the go to pro portfolio site. YouTube can’t cut it with ads / related videos you get. I can’t have someone watching an ad before a video. 

on top of that, the quality is just better. YouTube goes to mush. Especially fine details in film, grain, noise, etc.

On 3/2/2022 at 2:25 PM, PannySVHS said:

Holy crap. Vimeo starts to become unpleasant to use. I dislike to have to log in to watch certain so called unrated videos. Staff picks don´t fit my bill neither with their hipster oriented nowness videos. Social struggles don´t come in pretty corporate colours.

Even you know that is an exaggerated statement. I guess we can all agree that YouTube is camera reviews and covid conspiracies. 🙂

I still use Vimeo, but purely to host client wedding videos for them (and prospective punters) to view on my own site and for clients to download 4k productions from.

I guess that means I am simply using them for hosting only and may look at other options...but as the old saying goes, if it ain't broke...

I may also start uploading to YouTube and maybe try and grow that a bit beyond my 3 subscribers, but at the same time, I hate doing things for the sake of doing things and get enough work (at the moment anyway) from other sources that mean I don't really need to develop anything new.

I've had one or two older productions deleted for using copyright tracks (pretty obscure, but still copyright stuff) but for years have only used stuff from the likes of Artlist, Musicbed, Epidemic Sound etc.

23 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I agree I don't see Vimeo lasting much longer. When you are always worried about them deleting a video or more who wants to live with that over your head all the time. Sure the quality is better if you even have a video left to view!