Feck me, Vimeo sucks now!

MattH

As has been talked about before, vimeo have removed the ability to select resolution.   I thought they had kept the ability, as when I click on HD I can select 1080p.  But now for some reason it finds it acceptable to drop the actual resolution to less-than-SD super mush even though 1080p is still sellected.  What the fuck!

Before, I could sellect HD, and yes, I might have to wait a minute for it to buffer before it started. But at least I could watch the whole thing in full HD at the native resolution of my monitor.  Now, not only does it drop the quality but it only buffers the video about 20 seconds ahead so as soon as I press play it will either catch up the buffer and stop or drop the res.  Ruined!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hum. Odd. I've been browsing around, but I didn't run in to that yet. Could it be a browser thing? I'm on Win10 with the latest Firefox.

I did just get a overlay with '/!\ Having issues? Switch to Auto for smoother streaming.' on that vid just posted by benymypony, but that didn't stop me from having 1080p selected and playing (logged out).

38 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Hum. Odd. I've been browsing around, but I didn't run in to that yet. Could it be a browser thing? I'm on Win10 with the latest Firefox.

I did just get a overlay with '/!\ Having issues? Switch to Auto for smoother streaming.' on that vid just posted by benymypony, but that didn't stop me from having 1080p selected and playing (logged out).

Perhaps your internet is too fast to see the issue.  Mine is slow tonight so It made watching the Nomads of mongolia video impossible.

31 minutes ago, MattH said:

Perhaps your internet is too fast to see the issue.  Mine is slow tonight so It made watching the Nomads of mongolia video impossible.

Dunno... I've got:

5143642167.png

... over here. Not sure if Vimeo hooks me up to other servers or so.

That video you talked about, I just checked it, just fine, not even weird overlays. Text is clean and sharp (1080p, but even auto seems to take 1080p, it's not 270/360/720p for sure), wide depth of field shots are full of sharp details... doesn't seem any different than usual. So... not sure.

sidenote: Brandon Li! :grin:

Try this speed out for size

59 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Dunno... I've got:

5143642167.png

... over here. Not sure if Vimeo hooks me up to other servers or so.

That video you talked about, I just checked it, just fine, not even weird overlays. Text is clean and sharp (1080p, but even auto seems to take 1080p, it's not 270/360/720p for sure), wide depth of field shots are full of sharp details... doesn't seem any different than usual. So... not sure.

sidenote: Brandon Li! :grin:

:astonished:lol.  Yeah, I dont think you ever have to wory about seeing this issue mate.  Try this speed out for size:

5143697927.png

Ouch. And that's on a laptop connected to your home wired internet? My mobile connection even on 3G is faster than that. :confounded: I feel ya, bro!

Gotta admit, that's one thing I really appreciate about living here. I pay about 40 bucks and get that kind of glass fiber internet, tv and free landline calls within Austria (I mean there's one with 125 and 250Mbit as well, but let's not exaggerate, I'm already faster than 85% of AT according Ookla as it is).

It gets really awesome if you consider their mobile tarifs. I pay about 12 euros monthly and get unlimited mins/sms within Austria as well as 6GB @ 30 Mbits down and 5 Mbits up. To me that's just nuts. Especially compared to what family members pay back home in The Netherlands, and those are considered pretty good rates.

Desktop, but yeah ethernet connection.  Its just the length of the telephone line from the exchange, though If I get fiber to the cabinet it will sort that out.  Luckily I have a work around with the vimeo thing: I Just download it using a downloader.

Guys - nobody is saying that it's "100% failing for 100% of everybody 100% of the time."
Saying "it works for me" doesn't address the observed behavior by those who ARE having these brand new problems since Vimeo has changed their streaming methodology.

51 minutes ago, markr041 said:

I play videos on Vimeo all the time. I have no problem selecting the resolution by clicking 'HD'. I have "requested" both 1080 and 4K, and it plays the clip the way I want.

and that works for me at home where I have very fast broadband. but I went to friend's place recently and selecting 1080p on a slow connection, where you'd expect to wait for it to load before playing, didn't work. despite having selected '1080p' it behaved as though it were set to 'auto' forcing you to play the video at a reduced resolution.

46 minutes ago, Zak Forsman said:

and that works for me at home where I have very fast broadband. but I went to friend's place recently and selecting 1080p on a slow connection, where you'd expect to wait for it to load before playing, didn't work. despite having selected '1080p' it behaved as though it were set to 'auto' forcing you to play the video at a reduced resolution.

Or like for me - on the slower connecton this past week or so it just freezes when 1080p is manually selected.
Usually it will start playing within TWENTY MINUTES, but not always. Sometimes it just freezes completely until I switch it back to AUTO. And of course then t looks like YouTube 2011.