Medium format video : Does it interest you?

Calum MacPhail

28 minutes ago, SR said:

Mirrorless - being a mirrorless camera is popular now 

I got this description from their website. I thought it was a parody at first.

Well it can only be, there are no SLRs bigger than 6x8 ,nor have there ever been :) Imagine the mirror, it could be used by ISIS to cut off heads from the infidels.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

When Sony do a subsequent version of the Pentax 645Z sensor with proper 8K RAW video, the dynamic range on that will be astounding :)

A lot of people still think of larger sensor = shallower DOF and with most medium format lenses being F2.8 this might not be the case vs F1.4 on full frame but once we overcome that kind of binary thinking, we see the image of medium format is unique and I definitely want to shoot a film on the format.

FORBES70 is a thing of beauty.

PS I missed the NAB 2009 announcement of that RED solution... quite amazing really, I'm surprised they haven't made good on it 7 years later seen as though they are chasing some of the high end stills market and not just cinema.

Cool to see so many replies, a lot of good discussion goes down on this forum Andrew, its a credit to you sir!

Creatively I can think of quite a few options as well from a larger sensor. "For those who like (about) to crop (rock)!" (such a shite joke I had to cover myself), it offers a massive range of sensor sizes within one camera and with one lens. Theres a great deal of Kodak CCD sensors still available via their new owner, but a lot of them cap out at 7fps. With Fuji's improvement in video performance recently, I think they could be a good bet, but also as mentioned, Sony are potentially in the race.

Who would invest in something like this from an independent company? Something along the lines of the Axiom, with a video focus. I think something in a Hassleblad-esque form factor could be really cool. 

1 minute ago, Calum MacPhail said:

Cool to see so many replies, a lot of good discussion goes down on this forum Andrew, its a credit to you sir!

Creatively I can think of quite a few options as well from a larger sensor. "For those who like (about) to crop (rock)!" (such a shite joke I had to cover myself), it offers a massive range of sensor sizes within one camera and with one lens. Theres a great deal of Kodak CCD sensors still available via their new owner, but a lot of them cap out at 7fps. With Fuji's improvement in video performance recently, I think they could be a good bet, but also as mentioned, Sony are potentially in the race.

Who would invest in something like this from an independent company? Something along the lines of the Axiom, with a video focus. I think something in a Hassleblad-esque form factor could be really cool. 

Well, there is a rumour floating around about a fuji 50mp medium format camera, probably mirrorless. If that thing shoots good 4K, I will buy it, even if it costs 4000€

2 hours ago, araucaria said:

Oh god, frankenstein camera.

That's like calling the Model T a "Frankenstein" car.

Because some of us have only seen products created with the more recent advancements in miniaturization and integration, some might sneer at venerable products such as the Graflex large format SLRs as unwieldy, "Frankenstein" rigs.  However, that 5x7" SLR was a sleek, modern, integrated, state-of-the-art camera back in the early 20th century.  Here are pages from a 1923 Graflex catalog describing some of the special features of their large format SLR line.

Actually, it is difficult to imagine how to make a 5x7" SLR much smaller, even with today's manufacturing advancements.  Might be able to make it lighter and stronger, but Graflex cameras certainly were solidly built

And how cool would it be to attach one of the Large Sense backs to such a large format SLR?!

7 hours ago, araucaria said:

Well, there is a rumour floating around about a fuji 50mp medium format camera, probably mirrorless. If that thing shoots good 4K, I will buy it, even if it costs 4000€

*IF* it gets announced this year, I strongly doubt it will be that cheap! It would cost more.