GH4 Speed Booster

Clayton Moore

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The Mitakon Lens Turbo "Mark II" or "New Version" or "Second Version" is a real bargain at around $150.

The "blue blob ghost/flare" optical problem the original version had when pointing anywhere into direct sunlight has been virtually completely eliminated.

It is optically very good, and certainly a great value for the money.
I have the older MK I and I also have the Metabones Speedboosters. Even the older Mitakon MK I is really great if you avoid direct sunlight.

Those are like the main ones. ZY Optics/Zhongyi/Mitakon, then R.J. ( directly at: jinrongshanghai /a/ gmail com ), latest player: Kipon BAVEyes (BAV standing for BAVaria -> Bayern region in Germany because these are the results of a joint venture between Kipon and I/BE Optics (known from Handevision)). Then there are some brandless or alternatives ones that are not quite mainstream, these can be found anywhere on eBay. But I'd say the three above are decent options.

I wish someone did a shootout between all of them. But usually it's only brand X VS Metabones.

over the past 2 years I have bought and used every make of speedbooster that has come out , and without a doubt the KING DADDY of them all for shooting on a 4K Panasonic camera is the Metabones XL - that x.64 glass is amazing , giving you a Super 35 field of view back to your lenses and gets rid of the 2.3 crop factor totally - the Metabones XL turns the 4k Pannys into a very serious piece of film making kit - so much so Im uing 4 Metabones XLs on 4 Panasonics G7s to shoot the feature film I'm DOP on - its that good!!

Yeah, Caleb is a nice dude, but he isn't really a gear tester and reviewer, so he has very limited experience with these kind of things. He doesn't really compare things, just tells you about the stuff he's come across and uses himself. From what I've gathered he has a generic one sold by Roxsen: http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=roxsen&_armrs=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=focal+reducer&_sacat=0 . But like I said 'Then there are some brandless or alternatives ones that are not quite mainstream, these can be found anywhere on eBay. But I'd say the three above are decent options'.

1 hour ago, boxtree said:

Can anyone recommend some good Lenses to match up with the speed boosters on the G7? 

Thanks 

Boxtree

All of them!

Ha! I mean that the result that you will see is that every lens will act like a wider lens, and the speedbooster increases the light coming through your lens as if you increased the ISO by an entire stop. 

I own a RJ Lens Turbo (original version, I've had it for ages), which I use on all my many m4/3 cameras.

Got it from Personal View forums.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/9086/rj-lens-turbo-m43-adapters/p1

If I had the cash to burn I'd also buy a Metabones BMPCC as well for my BMPCC, for the extra 2/3 stop boost.

1 hour ago, boxtree said:

Can anyone recommend some good Lenses to match up with the speed boosters on the G7? 

Thanks 

Boxtree

Zillions of Nikon F mount lenses to choose from!

I use the original .74 I think Metabones that I got for a steal over at Fred Miranda. I use this on my G7 with no issues on all my Nikon lenses.  The only issue I have had is with my 1.7 extender from Nikon, it got stuck on the Metabones, I thought I might break both to get them apart, but I was finally able to get them loose.  I am looking to get a second G7 and another Metabones, probably the XL, or try one of the cheaper ones.

11 hours ago, boxtree said:

Thanks 

Boxtree

My absolute favorites are Leica R primes, but I'm also a huge fan of Contax Zeiss and Minolta Rokkor (though sadly, Rokkors won't fit on the XL). Canon FDs are great as well if you're on a budget, especially the f/2.8 versions.

I'm not as big on Nikkors, Olympus OM, modern Canons, or Sigma Art. Nikkors have a nice look and they're very affordable, but they zoom and focus the opposite way of every other lens. It drives me bananas and costs me shots. Olympus OMs are compact, adaptable to EF, and have great color rendering, but their designs were made with film in mind and don't play well with digital. Most of them don't perform well until f/4-5.6, and even then the wide angles suffer from iffy edges and corners with lots of smearing/CA. Modern Canon stuff has a crispy, syrupy look I just hate, and most of them don't handle very well for video. Plus, they require powered adapters to change aperture on non-Canon bodies. The Sigma art series is amazing for stills, but they're too clinical and hard-sharp for video IMO. They also have a TON of contrast, which can cost you a lot of DR. Last but not least, you either need to buy them in Canon mount (the powered adapter problem again) or Nikon mount (reversed focus direction).

Check out the Contax Zeiss and Minolta Rokkor Survival Guides for more info on those. Sadly, there isn't as convenient a resource for Leica Rs-- you'll just have to search around-- but I know a fair number of EOSHD members have used Canon FDs and would happily answer any questions in the lenses topic.

RJ seems to have the BAVEyes beat. Metabones still king. But resolving wise the RJ seems to cope pretty well but seems to worsen chromatic aberration/purple fringing behaviour the most. Too bad they didn't include the Zhongyi in the test. But people seem to really appreciate the latest version from Zhongyi, so I'm going to give that a go and skip the BAVEyes. I'll get myself an EOS to m4/3 for my Contax Zeiss f/2.8 primes and then add the K&F Concept C/Y to EOS adapter (eBay; their stuff is great).

3 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

RJ seems to have the BAVEyes beat. Metabones still king. But resolving wise the RJ seems to cope pretty well but seems to worsen chromatic aberration/purple fringing behaviour the most. Too bad they didn't include the Zhongyi in the test. But people seem to really appreciate the latest version from Zhongyi, so I'm going to give that a go and skip the BAVEyes. I'll get myself an EOS to m4/3 for my Contax Zeiss f/2.8 primes and then add the K&F Concept C/Y to EOS adapter (eBay; their stuff is great).

Which Contax Zeiss did you decide on?

The general range 28, 35 and 45mm f/2.8's for now. :grin: Already have the 45mm in. Couldn't mount it. But today I'd gotten the K&F Concept dumb adapter in as well, so I can start some testing.

Kinda blows they don't fair well on a Nikon Metabones XL. But I ain't looking to buy the expensive Canon smart Speedbooster which I then will never adapt an EF smart lens to.

-- mmmkay, extended the range with the 50mm f/1.4 and 85 + 135mm f/2.8 now... :grimace:, so it's 50mm f/1.4 then f/2.8 28, 35, 45, 85 and 135mm.
Pricing on the 21, 25 and 100mm makes them quite a bit less interesting. :dizzy:

---

2RaZuD4.jpg