Reasons not to buy a used F3 package

John Palmer

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I couldn't find a reason not to take a punt on a f3 that was going too cheap.  ended up getting a fully unlocked, rgb/slog PMW-F3 for just under £1400 with a full rig/riser setup, and a few different mounts.  I have to say, I'm blown away by how this camera captures light.  gonna be taking a 3g sdi out into a pix240 for 444 uncompressed, or into a a newer recorder for prores 4444.  

14 minutes ago, richg101 said:

on paper the f3 has less dr than the a7s and the a7rii, but imo I'm seeing more usable dr from the f3.  the roll off of blown highlights feels more gradual.  shadows also feel cleaner and more refined- even on the 35mbs internal - which I happen to think is more durable than the xavc-s 50mbs of the a7 range.

Yup, when it comes to my "big" camera I'm going to try and stay content with my F3 until one day when I can afford an FS7/F5 :-D  Even an F5 is getting down to surprisingly affordable secondhand pricing, certainly once I manage to pull off successfully moving into higher end and consistent film work then I'll be able to afford that (especially if the F5 carries on trending downwards with its pricing during the same time period as well :-P )

Although I can't but help to be tempted to upgrade my smaller camera (G6/D5200) to something like the likes of a NX1/D750/G7/A6300/etc...  one day ;-)

I bought one for $1500 and it was a great investment. I use the 10-bit 422 out with my Shogun.  Great image, great camera. For the price - pretty impressive.

Considering the FS5 is 3-4x the price, the F3 image is on-par, if not better, and easier to use. Of course, the FS5 has 4k, but not super great 4k.

The PL mount is great, thought there's not a lot of affordable PL glass out there (unless you count $5k/lens as affordable), but I have Nikon and EF adapters. I use Nikon mostly with AI glass - but I think the F3 particularly shines with a set of CP2s or Ultra Primes on it (see if you can get a budget to hire them ;))

On 15/3/2016 at 0:11 AM, IronFilm said:

Even an F5 is getting down to surprisingly affordable secondhand pricing, certainly once I manage to pull off successfully moving into higher end and consistent film work then I'll be able to afford that (especially if the F5 carries on trending downwards with its pricing during the same time period as well :-P

The F5 is surprisingly affordable, even brand new at the moment. I think the advent of the Varicam LT, as well as whatever NAB will bring will probably put a bit of pressure on the F5.

The F5 is a truly awesome camera - I think it's almost the perfect mid-range owner/operator camera when you consider it's wealth of features, image, 4k ability, ISO performance, lens mount adaptability etc. etc.

Will be interesting to see how the LT goes in the market though.

• 1 year later...
On 24.11.2017 at 12:22 PM, IronFilm said:

I haven't directly compared it personally, but the rough feeling I got from reading about it online is that the extra cost (& storage) isn't worth the few diminishing returns. (as the whole point of the F3 to me, is its amazing affordability!)

So you have been using the 422 mostly and being satisfied with it?