Confirmed: Fujifilm X-T2 to feature 4K video

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

X-Pro 2 4K - 80% said they don't need it, so Fuji didn't flick the switch in firmware. They ask a bunch of hardcore stills people if they want video and surprise surprise most of them don't.

How are Fujifilm supposed to expand their customer base with new people if the keep asking their existing ones what they want?

This is why camera companies keep serving up the same-old same-old every year... they never reach out new markets, because they only listen to the needs of their existing one.

And then 6 months after the XT2 is released the Fuji cult will be singing the praises of that Kaizen bullshit when they add it via a FW update.

It will be interesting to see what they can do with that goofy Xtrans array in 4k, one of the clips posted on DPR shows a lot of moire. If their claim of being able to do full sensor readout is true, there's hope.

Love Fujis lenses, love the colors and I really dig little things like the joystick to move the AF point - if Fuji can get its video on par with the A7rII, I'd happily shift away from Sony and it ever bloated lens lineup. Fuji has all the primes and zooms I'd like to see in E-mount, but the insane focus on what's essentially a stills only body in 2016 is not doing them any favors.

And I agree with moving beyond your existing customer base, what the point of building the same shit for people that are already in the X-mount ecosystem, new models should try to reach out to people that don't shoot Fuji, otherwise they run the risk of becoming Pentax.

Lol Andrew, do you really believe their BS? 
Of course it is not the case that they did not put 4k because just asking their still consumers if they want 4k. I mean, I can believe they are retards but not to this point. 

They did not put 4k just to add it later (when XT2 is out for eg.) via firmware update so everybody applauds Fuji for their amazing FW update policy...

42 minutes ago, KrisAK said:

4K via firmware? That's a little hard to believe. I mean, aren't you also talking about considerably more processing power, heat dissipation, etc? Would they really have built that much extra capacity into the system? I guess it's possible, but....

Fuji claimed when the Xpro2 was released the new processor can do full readout with 4k, but as we see from this they say people shooting with the ancient Xpro1 don't want video, so they didn't include it. Stupid strategy to segment (sell) the XT2.

I don't get all this time wasting rant about the X-PRO2 not having 4K. Who cares if they put it via FW some people praise their Kaizen? Let them be, that doesn't change anything in real life, such a pitiful thing to whine about.

I'm confused by this actually, I don't see videorgaphers buying the X-PRO2 for its 4K even if it had it, so why should Fuji please video people with a clear niche camera in the X-PRO2 when the X-T line is much more suited and expected for video?

Sure they want to expand their customer base, but they clearly are not going to do that with the X-PRO2 and they don't need to do it with the X-PRO2, this camera is aimed at those that liked the original X100 and the X-PRO1, this is a niche camera in its core, they have other line ups for other needs, it's not like they are simply ignoring video or 4K.

They just said that the X-T2 will have 4K, so it's implied that that' the line up that will be more aimed at videographers and the X-T2 is more suited for that anyway, why bother so much with what the X-PRO2 doesn't have if you were not going to buy it even if it had it? I don't get it.

I prefer to look at it differently, as I see it, Fuji gave videographers a teaser of what is to come, they improved the video, that's already a good sign, X-Trans can actually make good video and with this interview, they are saying that the X-T2 will be the line up that videographers should take a look when it comes.

I don't have high expectations for their first go for video though. I think that the Fuji colours will be there and the quality might even be there too, but I wonder if Fuji will get the little quirks right. The peaking disappearing in video mode, using a better codec, having better menus, audio feats, etc. I don't think they will get most of it right, I wished they were already talking with videographers to make it right, but I do think that part of it might be solved via Kaizen. Will it have a log-like profile? Will the button placement have video in mind?

With Samsung - apparently - pulling out of the market, with Sony having a camera like A6300 - but with no APS-C support in term of lenses -, Fuji could take advantage of the APS-C mirrorless video market. I'm just not sure if it's going to be the X-T2 or it's already a bit too late. But it's good for consumers to see they trying.

Well nothing wrong about Fujifilm serving up X-PRO 2 the way it is. Just different tool for different people. In fact I think this is a total non news, if Fujifilm would come out and state they would not put 4K onto the X-T2, then that would be a news. Even way before X-PRO2, Fujifilm had always state its intent to separate model according to customer niche and that they were hard at work on doing proper Video on their next serious multi-role model ( aka the XT series ). It does not take a marketing degree to figure that its well worth to put this proper Video feature into an established model lineup like the XT that favor the more diverse market than niche model like the X-PRO or XE. That said the XE is more the mid range hobbyist model and it would be most interesting to see how Fujifilm going to do with it. After all the X-E2 now the oldest among the X series and surely we will be seeing X-E3 coming and how it come about with regard to video quality would tell us something about how Fujifilm progress with their task.

Samsung NX1 and Sony A6300 had upped the game within the APS-C ( super-35 ) sector and I see nothing in the way that prevent Mfr from going more .. and that's the way it is,  

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 5:36 AM, Andrew Reid said:

X-Pro 2 4K - 80% said they don't need it, so Fuji didn't flick the switch in firmware. They ask a bunch of hardcore stills people if they want video and surprise surprise most of them don't.

How are Fujifilm supposed to expand their customer base with new people if the keep asking their existing ones what they want?

This is why camera companies keep serving up the same-old same-old every year... they never reach out new markets, because they only listen to the needs of their existing one.

When a company says something like "We could do X, but when we asked our customers most weren't interested, so we didn't do it (although we could have)", what they really mean is that they couldn't do it but don't want to admit it. It is marketing spin to pretend that their product is capable of something it is not capable of. Or if it can just do it, it does it badly.

It is complete nonsense for their camera to be capable of the latest thing, and they just decided not to activate it because 80% are not interested. That is a "W T F!!  Fire someone!!" type of thing IMO.

On 27 February 2016 at 0:36 AM, Andrew Reid said:

I attended a Fujilfim Australia-organised event on Saturday, discussed the X-Pro2, X-Pro1 and 4K video with one of the senior Fujifilm staffers, and he believes that firmware update switching on the X-Pro's 4K video ability will appear after the X-T2 is released.

I told him I want 4K capability in all cameras I buy from now onwards, regardless of whether they are primarily for stills or video, as I can only carry so much gear at any time and need to respond to opportunities as they arise with whatever I am carrying at the time. 

I see certain advantages to a 4K-capable hybrid camera with OVF and EVF. For me at least, the way I shoot stills with OVF is very different to how I shoot with EVF. I want the choice of either when I shoot video too. 

- 

• 2 weeks later...

The other big cockup on the X-PRO2, IMHO, is not having tilting LCD. I'd like to see THAT fixed by firmware! LOL They market the X-PRO2 as great camera for street, landscape, portrait. Well the tilting LCD would be great for unobtrusive street work, or low wideangle landscapes. If they had titling LCD I would have bought one, but I rather stick to my X-T! until its success comes out than get the X-PRO2.

On March 12, 2016 at 6:16 PM, pszilard said:

The other big cockup on the X-PRO2, IMHO, is not having tilting LCD.

Well, there's certainly options on the market for cameras that offer it.  The PenF has an articulating screen and it's modeled after the retro rangefinder style.

I think maybe Fuji is of the "less is more" mindset when it comes to their rangefinder body design?

The X-Pro series is a niche product for a very small audience seeking a very specific camera. 

The X-E and X-T series are far more mainstream, and it makes sense to give them the big video features. Otherwise, the X-T2 won't have much to elevate it from the Pro besides being SLR-shaped. 

The deciding factor for me will be what they do with the X-E3. If it gets 4K, I'll be switching entirely from Panasonic to Fuji as my secondary/stills system. If they only give it the X-Pro 2's still excellent 1080p...I'll be torn. But extremely tempted. 

Sigh...that's the problem with being a hybrid shooter. I need robust, all-manual lenses for video, but light ones with fast AF for stills. That's already 2 lens sets for one camera system--2 would be a nightmare. >_<

3 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

I need robust, all-manual lenses for video, but light ones with fast AF for stills.

Same here.  Really not keen on hitting the reset on lenses and building another collection.  But, glass being glass, it always holds value well for resale, regardless of manufacturer --so the stuff I have can be sold and then go to new lenses.

I've been really patient with Fuji, just waiting for the sensor tech to push them into acceptable video.  The closer it gets the harder it is to wait!

Same with Oly and their 5-axis cams.  Just waiting for them to allow 4k simply because it's part of the basic evolution of sensors is hard to do.  They're in no rush even though I am.

With Oly I pretty much only need to use their 5-axis cams for video.  So cheap old manual lenses work for me on those.