Why do I like the look of the Canon 1D C and Blackmagic Micro Cinema so much than the Ursa, F55, FS7, and C300 mark ii?

Ed_David

• 2 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The 1D C really has a lot of 'pizzazz'. Canons seem to work well with people. Not just that it works for the operator, but it's soft enough to be flattering for the talent in front as well as skintones just being lovely and warm. Canons render like a comfortable warm blanket and a Sony for example is like that wool sweater your grandma knitted for you and itches all over the place and you don't want to be seen wearing it either.

Shane Hurlbut did a comparison between some cine primes very recently and noted how the Canon cine primes is really flattering on the face as well, making it look a bit slimmer and more youthful. I guess that's really where Canon shines. Not detailed landscapes, not for much really, but when it comes to people... it's just bloody second to none.

18 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

The 1D C really has a lot of 'pizzazz'. Canons seem to work well with people. Not just that it works for the operator, but it's soft enough to be flattering for the talent in front as well as skintones just being lovely and warm. Canons render like a comfortable warm blanket and a Sony for example is like that wool sweater your grandma knitted for you and itches all over the place and you don't want to be seen wearing it either.

Shane Hurlbut did a comparison between some cine primes very recently and noted how the Canon cine primes is really flattering on the face as well, making it look a bit slimmer and more youthful. I guess that's really where Canon shines. Not detailed landscapes, not for much really, but when it comes to people... it's just bloody second to none.

Interesting analogy, and I have to concur. I also love the way that Canons work with people also. I know those two videos were shot with CLog, and the 1DX Mk ii does not have CLog. I am hoping that the new camera will not lose any of the former's magic. There was recently a video on Vimeo that compared the 1DX Mkii with the 1DC... and when I say "compared", I mean they physically had both cameras for testing. They also mentioned concerns over the lack of CLog, so I wonder if Canon will seek to fix this omission? I'm sure it is something that could easily be added in the firmware. Or better yet, just add it to the production version.

On 4/7/2016 at 11:14 AM, Mattias Burling said:

Waking this thread since its the place we have talked the most about the D16 and I just thought this looked great.

this is pretty damn amazing stuff.  wow i need to rethink this camera. I just wish the thing wasn't 200 ASA.  that makes it pretty difficult to use nowadays.  Brings us back to lighting in the 90s.  And a lot of things have smaller crews and move faster and have less bigger lights. Also the limited dynamic range.  But still a really nice camera.

5 hours ago, Ed_David said:

this is pretty damn amazing stuff.  wow i need to rethink this camera. I just wish the thing wasn't 200 ASA.  that makes it pretty difficult to use nowadays.  Brings us back to lighting in the 90s.  And a lot of things have smaller crews and move faster and have less bigger lights. Also the limited dynamic range.  But still a really nice camera.

Fuzzy out of focus blown highlights is the look you're after? I must not get it, so I'll pass.

hi guys. that's my quick little travel piece about a train in yangon. yes, the d16 is not the perfect camera (and I didn't even update the firmware then) but, like many people, you use different cameras or techniques for different purposes. I'm still amazed this thing exists, it fits in a large pocket, and it's simply a joy to use. the post production is a bit of a hassle but the images are magic. so take what you will..

2 hours ago, Jia Li said:

hi guys. that's my quick little travel piece about a train in yangon. yes, the d16 is not the perfect camera (and I didn't even update the firmware then) but, like many people, you use different cameras or techniques for different purposes. I'm still amazed this thing exists, it fits in a large pocket, and it's simply a joy to use. the post production is a bit of a hassle but the images are magic. so take what you will..

Nice - do you have anymore footage from the D16 that you'd like to share?

I haven't finished this cut, but here are some screens from a dance film I shot in a few months back which I test-graded. I tend to like the grain and flare. This was pre-firmware update. mostly shot on the cine nikkor 10mm and a small agne zoom. Hopefully I'll have some time to finish the edit soon...

also attached is a screen of my setup. as you can see it's pretty minimal, basically nothing. the d16 with grip and cine nikkor 10mm. I attach a small sony shotgun to the top sometimes, and I have one of those rapid straps attached to the base so I can wear the camera if needed. The strap comes with a plate which has an extra screw mount I sometimes attach a monitor/magic arm to, but generally I shoot just by judging the exposure and focus from the (very bad) lcd screen. 

12669942_10208807776577471_129586697_o.jpg

12631265_10208806985677699_676726127_o.jpg

12633344_10208806985637698_2093934431_o.jpg

12675245_10208806985597697_2013856068_o.jpg

12636933_10208806985517695_228108989_o.jpg

12364232_10208806985557696_1435092821_o.jpg

12669901_10208806909675799_1236914220_o.jpg

12637226_10208806909755801_563437456_o.jpg

12633336_10208802498285517_1070195612_o.jpg

9 hours ago, mat33 said:

Heres a few snapshots from the D16

The D16 look it very subjective. For me this is just too vintage looking for my style,  but I think I can understand the appeal.  I would be curious if the D16 footage can look modern also?

For sure it is an interesting camera. 

• Super Members
10 minutes ago, DBounce said:

The D16 look it very subjective. For me this is just too vintage looking for my style,  but I think I can understand the appeal.  I would be curious if the D16 footage can look modern also?

I think this is modern and clean with just gorgeous skin tones. Its also fun that its shot with their affordable Kish lenses the Elite $$$$ Primes. At least I cant really tell which is which.

"The Dancer and the D16 was shot on 3 cameras, one D16 with PL mount and Elite PL primes and two D16's with C-mounts and Kish cinema primes."

21 minutes ago, DBounce said:

This is an issue I have with most footage shot with the D16 but as well with the BMPCC. It's intentionally vintage or low budgety looking or flawed or however you want to name it. The video of the dancer that Mattias just posted is rather detailed while a subjectively felt 98% of clips I've seen from these cameras is really fuzzy and not sharp/detailed looking.

If you consider how many movies have been shot with 2-3k cameras but have great clarity and detail, where's the gap?

58 minutes ago, Phil A said:

This is an issue I have with most footage shot with the D16 but as well with the BMPCC. It's intentionally vintage or low budgety looking or flawed or however you want to name it. The video of the dancer that Mattias just posted is rather detailed while a subjectively felt 98% of clips I've seen from these cameras is really fuzzy and not sharp/detailed looking.

If you consider how many movies have been shot with 2-3k cameras but have great clarity and detail, where's the gap?

A big part of the look depends on the lenses and their coatings. With D16 it is highly more likely to find footage with vintage s16 lenses that have this distinct look.

Then there is also the sensor that is slightly more bloomy and that appears more with very bright scenes.