Why do I like the look of the Canon 1D C and Blackmagic Micro Cinema so much than the Ursa, F55, FS7, and C300 mark ii?

Ed_David

33 minutes ago, Axel said:

Bioskop, very well done.

Only after I had bought a gimbal myself - the Ronin M - I came to realize of how little use it was for me. Another example of terminator vision (I used this term on poor color depiction in another thread).

And there is another aspect your clip demonstrates: lowlight abilities. The whole thing is rather dark. Could have looked a better lit place with the A7s. Now I see (to quote Bloom) the problem with that. Because obviously the place was rather dark. And the Pocket renders the backlight very naturally as well as the shadows (which are called depths -Tiefen - in german. And that's how they appear: deep).

Yeah the BMPCC is an amazing camera & this wasn't filmed in RAW, but ProRes.

It was a bit of a nightmare, because the wide shot was shot during the soundcheck (which was perfect) & the lighting guys said they'd do the same thing during the actual concert - then they just wacked in loads of strobe, fuckers! Low light is great on this tiny beast & the lights they had were really strong (got a MC taking lens & anamorphic to flare!). Got to remember that concerts are dark places, so you need to have that balance between light & dark - it just wouldn't have made sense to brighten the whole thing up, especially considering how strong the lights were.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I too love the look of Canon and Blackmagic cameras. I have owned both and currently own the A7Rii. It's a great camera, but I've yet to find a picture profile that really excites me. I plan to do some extensive fooling around this weekend to see if I can happen across anything that has that "spark" to it. In any case, I caved and purchased the Canon 1DX Mkii so I will have something to fall back on that delivers that magic straight out of the camera. I did consider the Blackmagic Ursa mini 4.6k, but from my past experience I'm certain that camera will be filled with bugs and quirks and will be awful in low light. So I'll skip the Mini for now. Besides, knowing Blackmagic it will be another year before the Mini 4.6 is released. 

I have been shooting on BMPCC for years and have had some great experiences with the Digital Bolex. Sure its a really odd camera but there is some sort of mojo about it that can't be explained. Its got that Kodak CCD that is truly unique. I shot a shot film on it using their own Kish lenses and REALLY enjoyed the process. 

23 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

I have been shooting on BMPCC for years and have had some great experiences with the Digital Bolex. Sure its a really odd camera but there is some sort of mojo about it that can't be explained. Its got that Kodak CCD that is truly unique. I shot a shot film on it using their own Kish lenses and REALLY enjoyed the process. https://vimeo.com/129484022 

Ok, that was pretty awesome. But I guess I wasn't paying too much attention to the visuals because the short is so engaging. ;) Nice!

That Worley as in Seth Worley's family? The guy that was on FilmRiot's EPIC Summer?

4 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Ok, that was pretty awesome. But I guess I wasn't paying too much attention to the visuals because the short is so engaging. ;) Nice!

That Worley as in Seth Worley's family? The guy that was on FilmRiot's EPIC Summer?

Haha! Ya! I shot Ben's wedding also on the Digital Bolex 

• Super Members
43 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

I have been shooting on BMPCC for years and have had some great experiences with the Digital Bolex. Sure its a really odd camera but there is some sort of mojo about it that can't be explained. Its got that Kodak CCD that is truly unique. I shot a shot film on it using their own Kish lenses and REALLY enjoyed the process. 

I remember this, it was in a contest right?
Loved it then, love it now.

12 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

Haha! Ya! I shot Ben's wedding also on the Digital Bolex 

Cool. Well, it does have that kind of nostalgic vibe to it, like it's more of a memory than just a video. So they'll love watching that back in a few years when they feel like getting sentimental.

You must admit that in this thread we saw some of the best examples of how these cameras (DB, Pocket) beat some state-of-the-art high-tech-gadgets made of plastic in terms of image quality. And, it seems to me, in filmic/cinematic/narrative creative FUN. Thanks also to Dave. Very good for wedding videographers also. I'm one of them.

4 hours ago, DBounce said:

In any case, I caved and purchased the Canon 1DX Mkii so I will have something to fall back on that delivers that magic straight out of the camera. 

Yup. I shot a bunch of quick turn around stuff on the C300mkii with the baked in color. It looks amazing right out the camera. I would love to own that camera, but the size is a bit much and of course the price... I think the 1DXmkii is going to be awesome.

Here is another wedding I shot using the D16. It was in LA so I went to the Digital Bolex office in LA and met Elle there and she let me use one of the MFT Bolex cameras. When you use the BMPCC speed booster with the camera..it makes it a S35 sensor size. I really want to try it out again with my new CONTAX Zeiss primes I just got. That global shutter and skin tones on the camera are really stunning. And with the speed booster the low light issues sorta disappear. Totally workable for sure! No worse than what the BMPCC or Canon 7d was. 

If you want to see what BMPCC looks like with speed booster VS D16 with speed booster...I made a really confusing test with them. 

I think that db stuff looks great. My other issue now that i remember is that i rated it at 200 asa. Which makes sense cause its basically the same sensor as the ikonscope d16 made a few years before. And has the same feel really.  Also it felt like 11 stops if usable dynamic range to me.

7 minutes ago, Ed David said:

I think that db stuff looks great. My other issue now that i remember is that i rated it at 200 asa. Which makes sense cause its basically the same sensor as the ikonscope d16 made a few years before. And has the same feel really.  Also it felt like 11 stops if usable dynamic range to me.

Man, its the same sensor as the Ikonoskop A-Cam DII?!

How did that pass me buy? Because that was one of the images that i really loved, coupled with the shape of its body. It just seemed to be the perfect camera for just picking up & shooting with - no rigging or evf/monitor needed! Such as shame it got discontinued - now if BM or someone does a camera with that form factor again, I'd jump...

31 minutes ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

Man, its the same sensor as the Ikonoskop A-Cam DII?!

How did that pass me buy? Because that was one of the images that i really loved, coupled with the shape of its body. It just seemed to be the perfect camera for just picking up & shooting with - no rigging or evf/monitor needed! Such as shame it got discontinued - now if BM or someone does a camera with that form factor again, I'd jump...

Lovely. This is actually close to film. "Philm convert" with milky blacks is not the film look.

The D16 has a slightly larger sensor than the Ikonoskop, but is from the same sensor series so should be able to produce a pretty similar image. It did take Ikonoskop a couple of years to get their colour science right, but it produces an amazing image.

My m4/3 D16 just arrived the other day, and its build quality is very solid -much better feel than a prosumer mirrorless/dSLR. It ideally needs an external EVF/monitor as the on-board is really designed for menus/framing.

_B013293.jpg

_B013294.jpg

1 minute ago, mat33 said:

The D16 has a slightly larger sensor than the Ikonoskop, but is from the same sensor series so should be able to produce a pretty similar image. It did take Ikonoskop a couple of years to get their colour science right, but it produces an amazing image.

My m4/3 D16 just arrived the other day, and its build quality is very solid -much better than prosumer dSLR. It does need an external EVF/monitor as the on-board is really only suitable for menus/framing.

_B013293.jpg

_B013294.jpg

Are you using Contax Zeiss lenses? You have a speed booster for it too?

Here is a music video I shot using C-Mount lenses on the D16. Mostly on a shoulder rig. The low light stuff turned out total crap...but you get the picture..

IMG_9093.JPG

1 minute ago, mat33 said:

Yes, Contax Zeiss.  I have the standard CY-m4/3 speedbooster, and the 28/2.8, 50/1.7, 35-70 and 80-200.  Have an Optar Illumina 12mm/T1.3 on the way as a fast wide.

Nice! I literally just bought a set of Duclos modded Contax Zeiss lenses. 28, 35, 50, 85. Just got them in today! Cant wait do do some tests with them

IMG_7599.jpeg

1 minute ago, DaveAltizer said:

Nice! I literally just bought a set of Duclos modded Contax Zeiss lenses. 28, 35, 50, 85. Just got them in today! Cant wait do do some tests with them

IMG_7599.jpeg

Very nice, the 28/2.8 is an awesome lens (well they all are)!