Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 80-200mm f 4 MM

bluefonia

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

yes it is very good , Its Zeiss and they dont make bad lenses , its modern C/Y Zeiss glass, tac sharp great blacks and contrast plus warm Zeiss look  , in a one touch  push pull lens without the 'tromboning' extenting push pull style

it is VERY cinematic looking lens ...if you use it right - fully wide open , put it on a speedbooster and it becomes insane - its comparable to the Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 just a stop slower at f4- so get it on a speedbooster and you have a fast great zoom - you need to rig it on rods with a lens support on the end to make it stable .

AND...its cheap on ebay ...go buy!

https://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/Photography/new/pdf/en/downloadcenter/contax_yashica/vario-sonnar4_80-200mm_e.pdf

Well, Andy. - now you made me spend more money on glass :-). I already have a C/Y > MFT speedbooster to go with my Yashica ML collection and bought the Zeiss in C/Y mount on eBay 5 minutes ago. Excited to see the results from this lens, especially on the 150-200mm range.

...and sorry. I just realized I didn't posted this in the right forum. I thought I had written in Lens-forum.

• 2 weeks later...

This lens is fantastic. First impressions are in fact - despite the difference in focal length - that I like the results better than my Sigma 18-35 Art. The Zeiss is tac sharp in a very filmic way and the contrast and colors are awesome. So now I have gone for more Zeiss, as I just bought a Vari Sonar 28-70mm T* F3.5-4.5. Should arrive within a week, - I´m excited.

The Zeiss Vari Sonar 28-70 arrived to day, Took it outside the house this afternoon for a short test-shooting. It seems to be every bit as awesome as the 80-200mm, so the two lenses seem - probably no surprise here - to be a perfect match. Now I just hope the footage from the two Zeiss and my Sigma 18-35 will intercut well, - that's the next test. 

all the Zeiss C/YPrimes are great too - same glass formulation as the Super Speeds and Ultra Prime Cine Lenses

I already have a complete set of Yashica primes. I'm sure they are not quite on par with the Zeiss primes, but for my needs I think I'm covered for a long time, as I also have seedboosters for both C/Y- and Canon mount. (My Sigma is Canon-mount)

I was planning to buy the 80-200 too! Lots of god deals on Amazon.

Can someone clear up a few doubts I had? I see that Contax has a Contax G line that has autofocus (I am assuming from pictures of the mount that the 80-200 doesn't have any pins to interface with the camera in the first place). Is there any smart Contax to Canon EF-S or Contax to Samsung NX adapter that can carry the autofocus signal to this lens? What other differences are there between the Contax C/Y mount and Contax G?

3 hours ago, vaga said:

I was planning to buy the 80-200 too! Lots of god deals on Amazon.

Can someone clear up a few doubts I had? I see that Contax has a Contax G line that has autofocus (I am assuming from pictures of the mount that the 80-200 doesn't have any pins to interface with the camera in the first place). Is there any smart Contax to Canon EF-S or Contax to Samsung NX adapter that can carry the autofocus signal to this lens? What other differences are there between the Contax C/Y mount and Contax G?

Contax G are rangefinder lenses, - The N line has autofocus and are very rare, and reportedly not good and expensive to get working.

Just now, vaga said:

Is the Mount the same for all?

No, the G series use the Contax G mount, it's got a much smaller flange distance - similar to a Canon screw mount, and certainly a smaller diameter too. I would assume, but cannot say for sure, that they are completely different designs and unlikely to share the desirable characteristics of the C/Y Zeiss glass being discussed here. Not to say that they aren't lovely in of themselves, but not glass that would match.

Contax n lenses are very very good , modern Zeiss designs aspheric elements absolutely razor sharp warm Zeiss colours and great blacks , you can use these on micro 4/3 with the right adaptor , I have a load of these lenses they pop off your screen they are that good .

1 hour ago, andy lee said:

Contax n lenses are very very good , modern Zeiss designs aspheric elements absolutely razor sharp warm Zeiss colours and great blacks , you can use these on micro 4/3 with the right adaptor , I have a load of these lenses they pop off your screen they are that good .

I've heard these are difficult to adapt. Can you post a link to a suitable adapter?