5D Mark 3 Raw in 2016?

Germy1979

• Super Members
7 hours ago, thecouchguy said:

Wait so to clarify SQUIGS post above, if I were to buy a mkiii in the store today, I could 100% downgrade the firmware to an older version and install ML? Because MKiii is only on my list still because of ML.

I did it last week. No problem at all. But you must use the Canon Utility.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Had a full schedule today but when I popped out to the local store it was a nice sun set. So I decided to take the opportunity to test the lowlight, which was excellent.
And the x3 Crop mode which was awesome.

Maybe i overread it, but the shots arround 0:20 are very shaky, like earthquake shaky :D Any idea why is that?

• Super Members
24 minutes ago, jase said:

Maybe i overread it, but the shots arround 0:20 are very shaky, like earthquake shaky :D Any idea why is that?

Because its 315mm in strong wind with a light tripod ans IS turned of. If you read the entire post you quoted ;)

"Also notice how in the very last shot the IS really saves the flimsy tripod. I only had my light tripod that was sitting in my car.
I bet it would be stable with my Manfrotto 519 that I used in the Red One videos."

21 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Because its 315mm in strong wind with a light tripod ans IS turned of. If you read the entire post you quoted ;)

"Also notice how in the very last shot the IS really saves the flimsy tripod. I only had my light tripod that was sitting in my car.
I bet it would be stable with my Manfrotto 519 that I used in the Red One videos."

Well, if i got your video caption right, arround 0:20 you are at 105mm and not at 315mm. However i get it: at 0:20 IS was not activated, right? That makes sense then.

• Super Members
18 minutes ago, Phil A said:

I wonder how the new stabilized Tamron primes (35 1.8, 45 1.8, 85 1.8) would fare for video use on the 5D III. Could be a killer combo for small video + photography kit.

Yeah I was offered a 20% discount when they where released, kinda regret not getting it.
But the 35mm f2.0 IS I have and the other stabilized Canon primes are very affordable to buy used. A Tamron would be almost 3 times the cost.
For me the f1.8 vs f2.0 isn't worth it. If the price was closer I would have bought it.

• Super Members

Put some Raw DNGs in the footage download thread so people that are interested can play around.

I shot them to test and stretch the DR.
One ETTR. one with a few highlights blown and one with a lot of them blown.

This image is from the last one. The highlight recovery brought back most of the window.

quickG_1.3.1.md.jpg

8 hours ago, jase said:

Well, if i got your video caption right, arround 0:20 you are at 105mm and not at 315mm. However i get it: at 0:20 IS was not activated, right? That makes sense then.

He had 3x crop enabled in ML... So 105mm is 315mm. 

10 minutes ago, mercer said:

He had 3x crop enabled in ML... So 105mm is 315mm. 

I dont want to stress the topic, but the video caption clearly says 105mm, whereas later on it is labeled with 315mm - so i assumed that the first shot really was at 105mm. anyways, since IS was not activated, my question is answered.

9 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Put some Raw DNGs in the footage download thread so people that are interested can play around.

I shot them to test and stretch the DR.
One ETTR. one with a few highlights blown and one with a lot of them blown.

This image is from the last one. The highlight recovery brought back most of the window.

quickG_1.3.1.md.jpg

Hey Mattias, do you still have your Nikon D750? 

I'd love to see a comparison between the D750 and the 5D III. Nikon Flat versus 5D III RAW. Does that massive leap in bitrate grant you a huge advantage in the final image? 

• Super Members
4 hours ago, Jonathan Lee said:

Hey Mattias, do you still have your Nikon D750? 

I'd love to see a comparison between the D750 and the 5D III. Nikon Flat versus 5D III RAW. Does that massive leap in bitrate grant you a huge advantage in the final image? 

It does. But its only if you want the options that come with Raw. If you want a gorgeous image that takes almost no space and no converting than the D750 is better imo.

Thanks to Hans and Mattias for you clarification. Now 5diii is back in the race to be my next camera. I want slow mo from fs5 (plus I already have a A7s,) but have not seen any footage that I really love. BMMCC looks good but have to rig it up and add on the cost of a speed booster. That leaves the beautiful footage of the MKiii raw but no slow mo, yet also a fantastic stills camera.

1 hour ago, jase said:

you can go slow mo at the expense of resolution and stretching video in post, see here

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

Yup, in my tests the slowmo looks nice. Totally usable, and Raw :)

Awesome thanks guys, didn't know about that. That's one more tick for the mkiii. Love the features of the FS5 but have not yet seen footage from it that's even close to being as yummy as the ML raw.

• Super Members
10 minutes ago, SR said:

That's worrisome. Do you guys import it to the computer (two separate cards) simultaneously whilst shooting to make sure it's working?

No, to be honest I never check that its working. On any camera.

If you dropp a frame you will notice. The warning is very clear.