5D Mark 3 Raw in 2016?

Germy1979

Hello!

Sooooo...  I've spent several days off and on combing through the magic lantern forums to find an answer to no avail.  At this point you can snag a Mark 3 for a sweet deal, but I'd like to add ML for raw capabilities.  It's been a while since I followed its progress, and last time I checked in, Canon okey-doked everyone with a newer firmware that didn't allow the ML port.  All newer shipping Mark 3's wouldn't allow it, and you couldn't downgrade to the older firmware I'm told??  - so it's pretty much pointless..  

I'm just curious if Magic Lantern works on the latest firmware for the Mark 3 and if it's stable.  1920x1080 raw with 1066 CF Lexars?  Thanks in advance!  

This video still blows my mind.  Gorgeous:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

As far as I know it DOES NOT.

However, you can easily get the previous firmware version that still allowed for it. Where? I don't know because I dont have the 5D I have a 6D, but everyone was talking about it a few months back and they said it was really easy. That newest firmware from Canon didn't offer anything that Magic Lantern doesn't already do a better job of anyway, so Magic Lantern is still the win.

2 hours ago, squig said:

I think I love you.

2 hours ago, BrorSvensson said:

this fairly recent topic talked alot about the 5d mark ii raw video, a good read i think.

I remember this one.  I loved the Mark 2 before it even got a hack.  Strangely enough, (to me at least) - it's the only 8-bit image I've still seen to this day that got skin right.

• 2 weeks later...

HI, just shot this, 5d3 ML raw 1080p 25fps, FF and 3x crop mode, all handheld with 70-200 f2.8 IS II (sometimes i used fence as a support). Very little CC in resolve, all clips set for BMC profile and added one simple BMC lut. I am soooo pleased with the color out of this camera, just love it. And i am shocked how easy it is to shoot now - this clip i edited entirely straight from two 128GB CF sandisk cards with two usb 3.0 card readers, used MLVFS so didnt have to copy anything to HDD. Just inserted full cards, "mounted" via MLVFS and almost instantly opened in  resolve 12. Fast CC, exported as 10bit DNxHD444 1080p, cut in premiere and exported as 4k h264 - 4k just for youtube better 1080p quality.

Do you guys think that upgrade to 1dx mark ii would be really an upgrade to 5d3 with ml? Right now autofocus is the only reason for me to think about 1dxII, I am worrying about loosing 1080p 14bit raw for 1,4x crop 4k (beautiful in fact) but without raw flexibility.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Super Members

Had my first quick run yesterday with continuous Raw.
I literally came home, saw the CF card in the mail, went out and captured some footage the last 30min before sunset.
So its nothing special or perfect.

But my first impressions are good.
As a Blackmagic and Red shooter I haven't been a huge fan of the ML in the Eos-M and 5dmkii I had.
But now, with a fast and ongoing camera. Ability to record audio. Option to convert to Losslessly compressed Raw, with a full frame and Full HD s16 sensor..
Its pretty nice.

Might change my mind after the first crash... but so far, so good :)

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

I haven't been a huge fan of the ML in the Eos-M and 5dmkii I had.

I'm looping back around this month to give it a go on the 5DII.  

I really just dabbled a fews years back to load ML up and see in general what happened.  Never really put it through the production process, but now I'm doing a short doc, so I figured I'd finally load it again and give it a shot.

What didn't you like about the 5DII/ML combo?

• Super Members
1 hour ago, fuzzynormal said:

I'm looping back around this month to give it a go on the 5DII.  

I really just dabbled a fews years back to load ML up and see in general what happened.  Never really put it through the production process, but now I'm doing a short doc, so I figured I'd finally load it again and give it a shot.

What didn't you like about the 5DII/ML combo?

Not getting full HD and only about 4sec recording. Might have been the card though. And back with the eos-m it was 720p an no audio. Also had to be in crop because of moire.

On that the peaking sucked as well. I didnt use it this time but tested it, it was nice.

2 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Not getting full HD and only about 4sec recording. Might have been the card though. And back with the eos-m it was 720p an no audio. Also had to be in crop because of moire.

On that the peaking sucked as well. I didnt use it this time but tested it, it was nice.

Not quite right: On a 5D MKII you can get continuous 14 bit RAW recording (MLV) with audio in 1:2,20 (1872x850 / 25 fps) on a Lexar 1066x (UDMA 7) card. I use it constantly without any trouble.

• Super Members
27 minutes ago, bootsie said:

Not quite right: On a 5D MKII you can get continuous 14 bit RAW recording (MLV) with audio in 1:2,20 (1872x850 / 25 fps) on a Lexar 1066x (UDMA 7) card. I use it constantly without any trouble.

Same as I got. I wanted more than 850p. Thats why I only got 4 sec.

• Super Members

Had a full schedule today but when I popped out to the local store it was a nice sun set. So I decided to take the opportunity to test the lowlight, which was excellent.
And the x3 Crop mode which was awesome.

Basically it turns my 35mm f2.0 IS into two stabilized primes, 35 and 105mm.
And my 24-105/4 IS becomes a stabilized 24-315mm f4... pretty decent range imo.

Or one can see it as a 14bit Raw camera with both a Full Frame and a s16 sized sensor.

The focus was off in two or three shots since I forgot that EF glas isn't exactly trustworthy at the end of the focus throw.
And in the graded shot it is over the top, I wanted the sky to really bleed.

Also notice how in the very last shot the IS really saves the flimsy tripod. I only had my light tripod that was sitting in my car.
I bet it would be stable with my Manfrotto 519 that I used in the Red One videos.

21 minutes ago, thecouchguy said:

Wait so to clarify SQUIGS post above, if I were to buy a mkiii in the store today, I could 100% downgrade the firmware to an older version and install ML? Because MKiii is only on my list still because of ML.

Correct...a new 5DMKIII will most likely come with the latest 1.3.3 Canon firmware pre-installed.

Magic Lantern is only operable on 1.2.3 and 1.1.3 firmware builds so you would need to roll back the most recent Canon firmware to one of these two older builds. This is done via the Canon EOS software utility that comes bundled with the camera, or can be found on the Canon website.

Rolling back or 'downgrading' the core Canon firmware to a previous build and installing Magic Lantern, still provides many more features and functions that Canon ever (or will ever) be added to their official 1.3.3 or future firmware upgrades. 

Anyone that tells you that a new 5DMKIII has been locked against ML by Canon is uninformed and probably have not spent longer than 30 seconds looking at the ML forum. The simple truth is that creating a newer ML build specific to 1.3.3 is pointless - since there are no benefits in performance or features when running ML over the top of either of the two previous Firmware builds from Canon.

Shot today with the A6300 and the 5dmarkIII RAW. Bought the A6300 to replace my aging nex 7 as a c-cam.

5dmarkIII RAW blows away the A6300 in everything. Maybe it's a little bit less detailed vs the A6300 in 4k but everything else is a blowout. I'm so glad I got the 5dmarkIII years back when people were moaning about it's softness. It's brilliant now.