Canon 7D - Aspect ratio

KelseyOnTheHouse

Hi All,

I've been searching the forum, but can't seem to find the answer to my question. I'm excited to enter the world of shooting anamorphic, and I'm using a Canon 7D with a 50mm prime lens, and want to end up with a 2.35:1 finished product.  I understand that a 1.5x lens will get me that ratio with a crop sensor, but 1.5x are hard to come by and expensive.  2x lenses are more affordable and I'm wondering if there a good way to use a 2x lens with my 7D and achieve a 2.35:1 product.

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
49 minutes ago, KelseyOnTheHouse said:

Hi All,

I've been searching the forum, but can't seem to find the answer to my question. I'm excited to enter the world of shooting anamorphic, and I'm using a Canon 7D with a 50mm prime lens, and want to end up with a 2.35:1 finished product.  I understand that a 1.5x lens will get me that ratio with a crop sensor, but 1.5x are hard to come by and expensive.  2x lenses are more affordable and I'm wondering if there a good way to use a 2x lens with my 7D and achieve a 2.35:1 product.

Thanks!

You could always try shooting Magic Lantern RAW with your 7D with a 4:3 crop (or something similar) with a 2x anamorphic lens - you'll probably still need to crop off the sides a little to get 2.35:1 or go for 2.40:1. If not just shoot it normally (16:9 H264) and crop off the sides, which will mean you'll be losing about half the frame.

+1 for 4:3 or even 3:2 crop using magic lantern on the 7D. 

50mm may be a tad too wide as taking lens on most projection anamorphics - safer bet is to use 58mm + to avoid harsh vignette....or simply crop away the sins in post.

Here are some old (and pretty terrible) test shots from very early ML 7D build - before the actual raw video function was enabled. It was shot using the 'silent pictures' burst mode (basically shooting medium resolution stills as fast as the buffer would allow). ML has come a very long way since. (search vimeo or YT for far better example videos)

The 7D does not shoot full 1080p raw (the 5D3 can only achieve that) - but the crop modes and aspect choices of ML on the 7D still makes a very attractive image when upscaled and cropped to whatever you want. Dynamic range and quality of colour outweighs any resolution hit in my opinion.

iscomorphot 16/2x:

iscomorphot 16/2x:

Here is a 'fake' anamorphic video (using fixed oval aperture inside 135mm prime lens). still looks pretty good to my eyes, even now having since upgraded to 5d3 ML raw....

If shooting 2x anamorphic - it's fairly traditional to stick to 4:3 aspect crop. I've also had success shooting 3:2 on 1.5 and 1.75x lenses. But to be honest it's up to you, you could simply crop to your desired aspect in post (we don't live in such a strict aspect ratio world anymore since we can drop any wide aspect inside a conventional 16x9 frame for broadcast/ delivery).

4:3 (or similar 'square' aspects) effectively gives you extra pixels in the height when shooting anamorphic, giving a resolution advantage when de-squeezing - as you are utilising more of the photographed area on the sensor without having to discard as much (or any) of the sides of the frame to achieve conventional widescreen aspects. I've long since parted with my 7D and so am hazy on all the current aspects/crop resolutions, but you can easily find them over at the Magic Lantern site. I'd recommend giving ML a try, it's not suited for everything, but it's free and fun to experiment with - especially for anamorphic use.

1 hour ago, KelseyOnTheHouse said:

Thanks so much!  I've not tried ML, but will give it a shot.  What would I change the aspect ratio to in ML?

As Hans has said 4:3 is the usual aspect ration to go for, but if that doesn't give you long enough recording times then use 3:2 or 5:3 (on my 60D I had to use 5:3).

ML Raw also has fake anamorphic sizes, which will give you longer filming times & 2.35 is one of them.

3 hours ago, christrad said:

Correct and sad for the ones who can't afford shooting RAW...

It doesn't actually make a difference, you can still shoot 16:9 and crop the sides. What ML is doing is discarding this right from the start, but no other benefits added (I'm not discussing h264 vs raw, just the crop).

Well...Now I'm really confused!!! Exact same thing : meaning there ain't no crop on the recording image, right?

I'm pretty sure there is no horizontal crop in the GH4, cause the flares were verticaly long enough (to my eyes at least). When I crop on the NX1 for example, I can clearly see the horizontal crop on the flares.

Here is a pretty cool little calculator made by ML member rbrune - That outlines crop/aspect/resolutions/MB/s speed etc of EOS cameras running magic Lantern. Pretty useful to get an idea of what coverage and write speeds you get from the sensor when in 4:3 aspect for anamorphic use.

http://rbrune.github.io/mlraw/

Original post here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14909.msg144517#msg144517