Panasonic GH5 to come at Photokina 2016, shoots 6K video and 4K 60p?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

PSR20002b.jpg

According to Japanese news outlet Nikkan the Panasonic GH5 will get a resolution bump to approximately 20MP, with 18MP stills pulled from the 6K video mode in 16:9 aspect ratio. 4K at higher frame rates such as 60p, likely with a crop of the sensor is rumoured to be possible.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
53 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

PSR20002b.jpg

According to Japanese news outlet Nikkan the Panasonic GH5 will get a resolution bump to approximately 20MP, with 18MP stills pulled from the 6K video mode in 16:9 aspect ratio. 4K at higher frame rates such as 60p, likely with a crop of the sensor is rumoured to be possible.

Read the full article

Your Wish has come true Andrew. I guess, it's gr8, since the Sony A6300 already does 6k scaled down (though not 6k photos, or 6k video). I am guessing its the Same Sensor that does duty on the GX8.

I wonder if they have improved on the dynamic range and video codec. Somehow this 2k, 4k, 5k, 6k race is irritating more than anything else. I watch stuff on a 4k monitor, and it looks so fake. Films looks like animation. 

True the option of 4K is great, sure 6K could come in handy for certain work. But I would like a boost in film IQ, more like the Varicam. More DR, better highlight rolloff, less noise, better codec(prores,h265, raw). If 6K and 4k 60fps are the only selling points over the GH4. I will not be buying one, then I even choose the A7S ii over it. Why would you wait till photokina for such specs.

GH5 Would be an awesome camera to me if 

The sensor is bigger than M43 like the one JVC use.

10bit 4:2:2 internal processing and HDMI out with like the GH4.

Better internal codec and colour science with more info for post work.  

Manual  focus Zoom  in  option while recording.

Better slow-motion options.

Slightly bigger body than GH4 and Do not make it smaller than GH4.

One  or two extra stops of light sensitivity over GH4

Panasonic can also add dual base ISOs and IBIS  if they feel like giving us more :)

The only thing that is going to make the GH5 popular like GH4 is the sensor size. not 6K.

I think it's probably impractical in the real world to expect Panasonic to use an S35 sensor for the GH5. It doesn't fit in with their overall mandate, and it's a hard sell when dealing with their native lenses.

However, a slightly oversized multi-aspect ratio sensor as in the GH2 but with updated sensor tech seems like a much more practical option, and in their best interest in every way. A multi-aspect sensor that goes from 4:3 to 16:9 would be 18.8x13mm, or 18.8x10.7mm in 16:9 mode, or 200mm^2 sensor area.

Compared to standard other formats you get:

Standard M4/3 cropped to 16:9 = 17.3x9.7 = 168 mm^2 = +0.25 stops

Sony APS-C cropped to 16:9 = 23.7x13.3 = 315 mm^2 = -0.65 stops

3-perf Super 35 = 24.9x13.9 = 346 mm^2 = -0.79 stops

The multi-aspect sensor uses only a little more sensor area than a regular M4/3 sensor but gives a benefit to 16:9 capture area, is easily accommodated by the mount, and gives users of existing M4/3 lenses the ability to capture 4:3, 3:2, and 16:9 without cropping and taking full advantage of their lenses. Using the new 20MP GX8 sensor, you get native 6K @ 16:9 with essentially non-existent crop.

To me, this makes the most sense for how Panasonic runs their business. It caters to their base, and expands their capabilities even further into high-end broadcast and cine land who can now use 6K input footage and edit for 4K output in a similar way to how 4K is now used for 1080p, giving flexibility for PP stabilization and doing subtle punching in and panning. Useful stuff, in general.

However, if you live and die by 2/3 stop of ISO or depth of field compared to APS-C or Super35, and firmly feel that that's the difference between the look and feel of something "filmic" or "video-like" I don't really know what to say, and should probably just bow out of this conversation...

I was all in with MFT from the AF-100 to the GH cameras. I sold my GH4 and all my MFT lenses last year. The A7 Sony cams just had me. I feel noise was a issue and not liking what ISO1600 looked like made me move. Hopefully Panasonic can clean up the image in the next version because I really feel that is more important than resolution.    

2 hours ago, Ian Edward Weir said:

I have a hacked GH2, then I got the GH3 "Lol" and I currently use the GH4. I must say that I'm thinking of jumping ship to Sony. Who wants noisy 6k footage with f4 at Ido 800. I will take an Sony A6300 and have 4K f4 at Iso at 3200 or double that with little to no noise. Thoughts?

I'd rather have the better color and 10 bit color depth. Sony color and skintones especially are less accurate. But if you need to shoot in the dark, Sony is great.

2 hours ago, Chris Santucci said:

I'd rather have the better color and 10 bit color depth. Sony color and skintones especially are less accurate. But if you need to shoot in the dark, Sony is great.

I don't get the Sony skin tone argrument really. I like most of you shot in LOG modes and grade the image to what you want it to look like. I shoot with a lot of cameras. C100, C300, A7s, GH4, FS7 and they all get graded to look the way I want. 

Here are a couple FS7 spots I did. Personally I like the skin tone in these spots.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Just give me a freaking cleaner 800+ ISO and if it's not much trouble for you Panasonic, don't crop me an already 2x sensor, and one last miraculous addition, give me a Zero-sharpened mode with good colours. 

These trio of improvement (lowlight, crop size and colour) is what I need to shoot again (on the already ridiculously well-resolved-beyond-Imax-projection-needs) GH4, not 6K or 4K 60P for headline grabbing. Never though the megapixel war would come back and bite us in the a$$, first with jumping from perfecting 1920x1080p images to shitty 4K (but acceptable move) now jumping to 6K before improving 4K. 

Perfecting 4K is HARD, takes a Varicam/C300II size-ish camera, so go towards better 4K before just dumping higher pixel number to the cards!

But hey, it's 6K, just like a Dragon... 

I actually think 6K would be great on the GH5. It lets me downsample to 4K with improved color, much like it's good to downsample 4K to 1080 on the GH4 now. Nobody is going to be displaying 6K content anytime soon, but downsampling for pristine 4K is very attractive to me. It lessens the appearance of noise and compression artifacts in the image and improves the color sampling. What's not to like?

6 hours ago, Jaime Valles said:

I actually think 6K would be great on the GH5. It lets me downsample to 4K with improved color, much like it's good to downsample 4K to 1080 on the GH4 now. Nobody is going to be displaying 6K content anytime soon, but downsampling for pristine 4K is very attractive to me. It lessens the appearance of noise and compression artifacts in the image and improves the color sampling. What's not to like?

Are you delivering 4k?