Nikon DL

jagnje

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
17 hours ago, LimitBreak said:

It is now "industry standard" for Nikon to roll out 4K with their cameras.

Good news for the last remaining diehard Canon fanboys as it means it will at last force Canon's hand to include 4K in their cameras now.

Because it appears Canon ignores what Panasonic / Sony / FujiFilm / Samsung / Pentax does, and only bothers to respond to innovation  (such as the Nikon D90) when Nikon does it. Because they only view Nikon as their core competitor. 

The only reason I care is because I have some cool tricks with CHDK that I want to try out with a 4K Canon P&S. And sadly I can't with Nikon or Panasonic or Sony point and shoots, otherwise I'd buy them instead.

• Super Members
16 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Because it appears Canon ignores what Panasonic / Sony / FujiFilm / Samsung / Pentax does, and only bothers to respond to innovation  (such as the Nikon D90) when Nikon does it. Because they only view Nikon as their core competitor. 

Since they are outselling them they probably look at them as an example on what not to do.

Can you imagine the cost for Panasony to develop and make all these new cameras compared to Canon that uses the same old stuff from 4 years ago. I bet their factory runs smooth as silk by now. And still they sell more at a higher price. 

Thats not laziness or stupidity. Thats genius.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Trust me when I say Canon cannot implement 4K in their DSLRs below the 1D size without affecting them as stills cameras in anyway, and they're working enormously to make it happen. Enormously as in R&D and dedicated multiple teams working with the design & manufacturers & QC. I know Canon cripples the shit out of their cameras in features they can implement, but 4K is not one of them. 

If they didn't have to live up to hard strict working temperatures, recording time and power consumption they'd just enable 4K 5 minutes in the g7x like these Nikons, or an EOS M4 with 4K enabled and remove the temp. warning threshold and ship it with 2 batteries and make everyone happy vs a6300.

But inside their mind that's not an option and much more of a long-term reputation loss than short-term earnings in one camera make. That's their stubborn Japanese philosophy. I for one would welcome a 4K EOS M4 with the same body/internals heat/long-term-reliability-working temp-battery-life as a compromise to get usable 15min APS-C 4K with EOS M mount and Canon colours. Why not give us the choice on what we want to compromise? 

It's heat Canon's fighting. Samsung beat them to it and it looks they're still not there at Samsung's heat efficiency. 

Heat heat heat. The company's devil. 

Anyhow, I wish a camera thread would start and end without Canon 4K cameras. 

2 hours ago, mercer said:

I wouldn't be surprised if one of their point and shoots get 4K before their rebel line. Actually, I think the eos-m4 will be their first consumer camera to have 4K... eos-m4K. 

I seriously would not mind at all if their P&S gets 4K before their DSLRs! :-D

As only Canon P&S interests me because of their powerful CHDK. Wish Nikon had the same! 

16 hours ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

I wish I'd used Micro SD cards all my life in adapters and just taped them in for later use as Micro SDs in Phones/tablets/cameras like these..

They're just as fast but slightly higher cost, worth the size difference that you get when you pull it from the SD adapter. .

I started doing this too a couple of years ago. Versatility is key and R/W specs are the same. I wonder if anyone with CF cards is using an CD to microSD adapter or even CF->SD->mircoSD route (cram an Wi-Fi adapter in while you're at it too :D ).

I think Mattias and Ebrahim are right on the money. I've now shot (stills photography) with Canon (5D II, 5D III, 1Ds III), Fuji (X-E1, X100s, X-T1), Nikon (D800, D750) and Samsung (NX1)... and the Canons were probably the technically worst cameras (comparably low dynamic range, shadow banding, marketing cut down features, ...) but the best usability. They just work. Everything is in the right spot, the menus are easy (and you barely need use them), everything is quick and snappy. They sell no matter what and to be honest, as much as I like to bash them for their reluctance/incapability to progress, their products are solid. Plus, hybrid market is such a niche, I'm sure 95% of people buy these cams just for stills.

On the weekend I was seeing an exhibition of the "Wildlife photographer of the year" pictures and it was basically like a Canon exhibition, every second picture was a 5D II or 5D III. In the end, they're still great cameras (the one digit bodies) and forums just focus way too much on the technical feature side (I love gear and features, guilty as charged).

6 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I bet their factory runs smooth as silk by now. 

dSLR market (owned by CaNikon) fell from 16.9 million cameras in 2012. to 9.8 million in 2015 - it is only 58% on what they made 3 years ago.

It is easy to run smooth that way, with lot od production capacity in spare.

• Super Members
4 minutes ago, mislav said:

No I am not.

http://www.canon.com/ir/annual/2014/canon-annual-report-2014.pdf page 82

In 2 years Canon lost 13% in revenue in camera department. Do you think shareholders will applaude to that?

How did the camera market in total do during the same time?

Did it go up?

If not, I still say you missed the point.

1 hour ago, mercer said:

If this camera had a mic input, 24p and the Flat profile, I would seriously consider it... Especially at this price. 

Unfortunately it has none of these. Nikon Picture Control had 6 profiles for years, they added Flat and it became 7. But in DL series page it says you can select only 6. Guess which one is unavailable? Yea.  

13 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Since they are outselling them they probably look at them as an example on what not to do.

Can you imagine the cost for Panasony to develop and make all these new cameras compared to Canon that uses the same old stuff from 4 years ago. I bet their factory runs smooth as silk by now. And still they sell more at a higher price. 

Thats not laziness or stupidity. Thats genius.

Not the high end point and shoots. That is where the money and the remaining market in the segment is.

13 hours ago, mercer said:

I wouldn't be surprised if one of their point and shoots get 4K before their rebel line. Actually, I think the eos-m4 will be their first consumer camera to have 4K... eos-m4K. 

Not unless they modernize their processor line. With the current processors they have I am dubious that hardware enabled 4K will be available in mass market cameras from them for the foreseeable future. Something has to change, and their most recent processor appears to not be that change.