Nikon DL

jagnje

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Anyone else getting that absolutely lovely LD 24-85 1.8-2.8? 

I am getting the Cool silver one with hood and EVF. Looks cool ha? I am a sucker for stylish designs.

Nikon-DL-24-85-658x370-46537d67e13ad4cc.

Colours of the images/samples look Outstanding!  

No 24p will be a deal breaker to many. We don't have 100% confirmation confirmation but since the full spec sheet declares 25 & 30p I think it'll be that. When just asked a Nikon sales rep he read the 25/30p UHD spec and said however these are just released and we'll have to wait for the user's manual to confirm.

Asked for release date and got a ''no''. Not sure whether no release or no information :)

One intriguing line ''Virtually eliminated rolling shutter due to the powerful processor''. A big claim.

Other one is Full 1:1 macro with VR in 4K too. DOF  at 85mm f/2.8 will compat the 1" aesthetic when needed. And close focus = shallow DOF too. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

2 seconds of 20-30-60fps raw (or even 6K Jpeg) would be awesome. But I would bet it's capped at 1 second bursts. 2 seconds is more than usable for landscapes & music videos. I hope it goes to 2 in at 30p. Or 60p at 1 second makes a 2 second slo-mo shot. But I am pretty certain the 4K image will leave little to be desired to make you shoot the burst way.

Nevertheless will be interesting to see how the photo burst works as video. 

I preordered the premium kit (silver/evf/square-hood/leather-case/Filter-reducing flaring/glaring) The 24-85 model. 18-50 is cool too but not my tase. 

Now I need to go pick up Micro SDs from Radioshack I believe like the one series?

I wish I'd used Micro SD cards all my life in adapters and just taped them in for later use as Micro SDs in Phones/tablets/cameras like these..

They're just as fast but slightly higher cost, worth the size difference that you get when you pull it from the SD adapter. .

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi
1 hour ago, Eric Calabros said:

I dont know why there is no 24. if it can do 30, it certainly can do 24. 

however UHD is 76Mbps. and just 5min. not bad for me but its low for many others. 

HDMI out is  4:2:2, 8 bit, 1080p only.

1760523947.jpg

Nikon do wonders with low bitrates, their HD delivers exceptionally clean and gradeable 24mbps codec.

I have faith it will be a better 4K image than the Sony & Canon. I don't shoot past 5 minutes so cool will keep the preorder.

But are you now comparing it to the Nikon DSLRs or their (premium) compacts? Because I have the D5300 and the S9900 (the A900 seems the successor to this) and the latter doesn't feel anything like the D5300 whatsoever. Also poor build quality and loud cranky zoom motor. I'd hold my breath for these. They do seem greatly inspired by Panasonic and Sony's premium compacts and I embrace more choice, but I wouldn't get my hopes up too high.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

Nikon do wonders with low bitrates, their HD delivers exceptionally clean and gradeable 24mbps codec.

I have faith it will be a better 4K image than the Sony & Canon. I don't shoot past 5 minutes so cool will keep the preorder.

Exactly.

The low bitrate from the D750 eats Panasony 100mbit for breakfast imo. Im very interested in this camera. Will look forward to your tests.

Seems like it will be much cheaper than the rx100iv as well (which btw is catching my interest as well as Im starting to finally get a hang if slog).

5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Well not the sensor, it's a Sony.

The OLED will be either LG or Samsung I think.

And it isn't a mirrorless camera, it is fixed lens.

Nice try :)

Mirrorless refers to the mirror, not the lens.  These cameras don't have mirrors, so they are mirrorless.  However, they aren't EVILs, MILCs or compact system cameras. (EVIL being my favourite for what the accepted term should be).

6 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Canon reacting in any major way?
Not likely imo, for fun I just checked current sales here.

Their 5Dmkiii is only $300 dollars cheaper than the 4 YEARS younger A7sii.
Its $1000 more expensive than the NX1 + 16-50 S Combo.

But still outselling both of them.
If I was a major shareholder in Canon I would say, don't do anything. Just wait until its really needed.

It would be cool, but I doubt they will do anything revolutionary. Some C-Log in rebels or 5Div would be lovely though.

When its really needed it will be too late, because their customer base would have already left.

As they say, there is no point in closing the barn door after the horse has bolted :)

• Super Members
13 minutes ago, tugela said:

When its really needed it will be too late, because their customer base would have already left.

As they say, there is no point in closing the barn door after the horse has bolted :)

Doubt it. 

Besides many switch all the time. And the most important customers, the regular people outside of forums, they buy the house and kit lens. Next time they buy another house and a kit lens.

And all those people with those shiny new 4K TVs they just bought are going to want compact cameras that shoot 4K video so they can watch it on their TVs. Guess which brand they will buy (and it obviously is not going to be Canon). Remember, these are people with disposable income we are talking about, so they are the ones buying the high margin products and the people camera companies want to target. Canon makes cameras for the bargain basement types.

The horse has already left for pastures beyond. Canon have not even figured out that the barn door is open yet.

How many times will someone say Canon are about to crash!

You could just as easily say that people will just use their 4k phone to play videos on their 4k TV... Maybe Nikon are too late too? Or maybe both know how to make plenty of cash.

One thing that does tend to happen is that Canon react to Nikon, and vice versa... So you might see some movement.

29 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

How many times will someone say Canon are about to crash!

You could just as easily say that people will just use their 4k phone to play videos on their 4k TV... Maybe Nikon are too late too? Or maybe both know how to make plenty of cash.

One thing that does tend to happen is that Canon react to Nikon, and vice versa... So you might see some movement.

No. If there was going to be any, we would have seen it in the 80D and especially in the G7X M2 (which has the new processor). The fact that the Digic 7 in the latter apparently has 4K disabled when you would have expected it to be capable of it means that Canon have not solved the issue of making a processor efficient enough to fit within the thermal confines of small to medium cameras.

So don't hold your breath. Canon are not going to be competing in this area in the consumer market for quite some time. Possibly not even before 2018, unless they license in processors from one of the other competitors. The only way they are going to be able to do it is to use multiple processors and their MJPEG approach, and that is simply not practical in a consumer camera. You might see it in the 5d4, but not in anything lower.

This is pretty fundamental. I'm sure that Canon would love to compete in the 4K space, but they just CAN"T, because they don't have the critical tech that the others have.