Panasonic GH4 w/ speedbooster xl worth it ?

kidzrevil

40 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

It and the GH4 are both totally valid production tools. Found this on DVXUser. Shot on the GH4, CineD, Leeming LUT.

That is insanely clean... Especially for the contrast and dr in those shots. Do you know how good the gh4 version of the Leeming LUT works with the G7? I know a few people claimed to test it with the G7, on DVX, with favorable results, but I haven't seen any footage with it. About a month ago, he said he was working on a G7 specific version. 

Like you said, as a specific film stock, it will work nice. I've been using CineD with everything dialed down with pretty good results. I'll post some grabs later that I don't attempt to grade, just correct and balance. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Yep! Cleaner in the blacks, better low light performance, no color artefacting, and a very slight reduction in crop factor (2.2 vs 2.3). I'll be buying one in the next two weeks to finally replace my GH3 as the compliment to my BMPCC.

I owned both the G7 & GH4 and recently managed to use both cams on a wedding shoot before selling the GH4, I saw no reason to keep it. The G7 wins, I'm talking picture quality not features, the GH4 has loads of great features and should not be discounted however, all depends on what type of media you shoot. Just get a G7 already if you are considering it, for $500 or less you can't go wrong, its dope. Would make a great B-cam to the A6300 or similiar. Here is the wedding I shot with both cams, all night footage at the very end shot with the g7, not the GH4 which suffers by 1 1/2 stops. 

Here is an ungraded grab from the G7 shooting CineLikeD with everything dialed down. I used the Tokina 35mm f2 lens with a Fotodiox ND Throttle adapter...

CineD Tokina Ungraded.jpg

Here it is with just a curve adjustment...

CineD Tokina Curve Adj.jpg

And here it is letterboxed, with the Tetrachrome LUT from Impulz, and some Gorilla Grain...

CineD Tokina Tetra.jpg

1 hour ago, DriftProductions said:

I owned both the G7 & GH4 and recently managed to use both cams on a wedding shoot before selling the GH4, I saw no reason to keep it. The G7 wins, I'm talking picture quality not features, the GH4 has loads of great features and should not be discounted however, all depends on what type of media you shoot. Just get a G7 already if you are considering it, for $500 or less you can't go wrong, its dope. Would make a great B-cam to the A6300 or similiar. Here is the wedding I shot with both cams, all night footage at the very end shot with the g7, not the GH4 which suffers by 1 1/2 stops. 

This is gorgeous. Couple questions... What lens did you use? Do you edit, grade and deliver in 4K?

6 minutes ago, DriftProductions said:

Thank You! Lenses used were the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC ART, Canon 70-200f/2.8L IS II USM and Metabones Speedbooster XL. Shot in 4K, downscaled to 1080p on a 1080p timeline in Premiere Pro.

What in camera settings are you using?

12 hours ago, mercer said:

[..] Do you know how good the gh4 version of the Leeming LUT works with the G7? I know a few people claimed to test it with the G7, on DVX, with favorable results, but I haven't seen any footage with it. About a month ago, he said he was working on a G7 specific version. [..]

Have you seen this? http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?340808-Leeming-LUT-One-%96-the-best-LUT-for-the-Panasonic-GH4&p=1986618646#post1986618646

Maybe you/someone here can help out, seems he needs base material to get it going, but gots none.

Has anyone in this thread actually used an a6300?
On paper I must agree it sounds like a good camera, however from what I've seen so far in reviews I would hardly say GH4 or G7 could be a "B camera" to it... Looks as though the rolling shutter is out of control and the only useable mode is the 4K mode (1080p being soft and ugly), people need to stop the hype.

I'm really interested in getting the XL for my GH4, but the price is killing me, it's almost what I paid for the camera! haha. 

2 minutes ago, tweak said:

Has anyone in this thread actually used an a6300?
On paper I must agree it sounds like a good camera, however from what I've seen so far in reviews I would hardly say GH4 or G7 could be a "B camera" to it... Looks as though the rolling shutter is out of control and the only useable mode is the 4K mode (1080p being soft and ugly), people need to stop the hype.

I'm really interested in getting the XL for my GH4, but the price is killing me, it's almost what I paid for the camera! haha. 

please please please lets keep this about the g7 gh4 w/ speedbooster. There is a thread dedicated to the a6300. thank you !

On 14 March 2016 at 10:22 AM, kidzrevil said:

please please please lets keep this about the g7 gh4 w/ speedbooster. There is a thread dedicated to the a6300. thank you !

Tell it to the fan boys ;) .

I'm also interested to hear opinions of XL vs Ultra as well if anybody has had both and what they think? Also if you do both photo and video work with either I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers.