Panasonic GH4 w/ speedbooster xl worth it ?

kidzrevil

Did some quick color balance of the original ooc shot in PS. Worked very well. Maybe in Davinci next time I won´t go all that crazy on the color wheels, exposures and layer mode but rather put some simple gentle touches on the color sliders. Still a little off but enough for now:)

01graded_1.1 colorbalance.JPG

7 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

From the original ungraded one. Messed around in photoshop with color balance for RGB values individually for highlights, midtones and shadow. Then add another adjustment layer for exposure. Just eyeballing. It's nicer if you actually do the grading in FCP/Premiere or Resolve with waveforms/scopes, but since it was a still I went for quickly adjusting it that way. Indeed it was more of a recovery according my taste of what I feel the scene might've been like. Taking in as well a gloomy cold winter day and trying to convey that feel just a little. ;)

But yeah, I fell in love with the GH2 and am still true to Panasonic MFT as my main choice of gear. Although that might change soon with the arrival of the A6300 which I'm really tempted to get. I never worked with Sony material before, so it will be interesting. :)

You really nailed the gloomy mood of the day. I am kinda amazed that a little color balance would get so much out of this H264 file. Learned so much today. Thanks a lot! Now I can go crazy on the screenshot with the channel mixer in PS:) cheers and good night:)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@PannySVHS out of all the cameras I've owned I was able to push my gh4 the furthest with the grade. I've stacked two luts on the footage with no macroblocking and weird artifacts. My only issue was the noise but that shouldn't be a problem especially in comparison to the other artifacts you get on other cameras. 

Blue channel clipping on the Sony line which makes it unusable for club,concert and even shooting a city at night

macroblocking, sharpening and noise reduction artifacts of an otherwise dope camera like the NX1. Stack LUTS on an nx1 and you'll see the artifacts quickly pop up

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi
12 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

01ungraded.JPG

I love this one as it is. I use this so many times it became one of my shooting styles, using incorrect white balance to achieve dreamy/unrealistic looks that would be so hard to achieve by making extreme grading to correctly white balanced footage. 

1 minute ago, Liam said:

thanks, Mercer. I've been messing with grading a lot lately. sometimes hard to know if it actually turned out well. definitely prioritizing skin

I really like how you were able to just keep enough rosiness on her nose to show it's cold out. Of course Panny's subject and composition helps a lot here. Her little curly cue really helps to pull you into the shot and adds a nice bit of contrast to the foreground. 

What program are you using for color?

1 minute ago, mercer said:

I really like how you were able to just keep enough rosiness on her nose to show it's cold out. Of course Panny's subject and composition helps a lot here. Her little curly cue really helps to pull you into the shot and adds a nice bit of contrast to the foreground. 

What program are you using for color?

I'm using hitfilm 3 express. I had to pay for a small upgrade to get curves. for $20 total, I'm definitely a fan. but mostly I'm using the white balance tool with RGB adjustments until skin seems to pop, and then adjusting the colors in the highlights a little bit

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2016 at 6:12 AM, kidzrevil said:

I used to shoot with the Panasonic GH4 and loved it. Only turn off was the amount of noise in the image but it was manageable. I read a rumor that there is yet another firmware update coming so the camera is back on my radar.

Does anyone have experience with the Metabones Speedbooster XL adapters ? If so do they live up to the hype ? I currently own zeiss milvus glass and would love to see how the speedbooster will add to the look of the lenses on the m43 body

The Metabones Speedbooster XL is dope! I shoot with the G7, the XL Canon mount and Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 and the results are killer for what I need. Example...

22 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

Let me get this straight...the g7 is better than the gh4 for video ( in terms of quality not features)

I have never used a gh4 but all of my research says that it is better in lowlight and the newer sensor shows a slight improvement in iq. 

9 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

I might as well stick around for the gh5 if thats the case

Yeah, probably. The G7 is dirt cheap right now. I think you can get a body only for around 400 on eBay. 

So, maybe pick one of them up in the interim, since the gh5 won't be out until the end of the year. 

2 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

Let me get this straight...the g7 is better than the gh4 for video ( in terms of quality not features)

Yep! Cleaner in the blacks, better low light performance, no color artefacting, and a very slight reduction in crop factor (2.2 vs 2.3). I'll be buying one in the next two weeks to finally replace my GH3 as the compliment to my BMPCC.

32 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Yep! Cleaner in the blacks, better low light performance, no color artefacting, and a very slight reduction in crop factor (2.2 vs 2.3). I'll be buying one in the next two weeks to finally replace my GH3 as the compliment to my BMPCC.

Am interested in hearing your thoughts on it when you get it. I was able to get out today and run some tests. And I finally tried the Leeming LUT settings you told me about. I will probably buy his LUT when he has a specific G7 version. 

It and the GH4 are both totally valid production tools. Found this on DVXUser. Shot on the GH4, CineD, Leeming LUT.

Used right, it's a really nice "film stock." Detailed, high color discrimination, very good tonal separation, with a bit of organic grain and surprisingly good highlight roll off. It gets noisy fast and doesn't like underexposure, but if you treat it right, it'll reward you.