EOS 80D - HDR Video?

Jimmy

I often wonder who would buy a lower end canon with any intention of using it for video purposes.

The only upcoming Canon slr camera that will deliver video performance worthy of taking notice of on rumours sites is the 1DX2.  None of their other non Cinema EOS cameras deliver good enough image quality to warrant working around the poor ergonomics and limited optics options for video use.  It seems mad when an a7s is less expensive than Canon's prosumer range that the 80d will fall into  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
23 minutes ago, richg101 said:

I often wonder who would buy a lower end canon with any intention of using it for video purposes.

The only upcoming Canon slr camera that will deliver video performance worthy of taking notice of on rumours sites is the 1DX2.  None of their other non Cinema EOS cameras deliver good enough image quality to warrant working around the poor ergonomics and limited optics options for video use.  It seems mad when an a7s is less expensive than Canon's prosumer range that the 80d will fall into  

The dualpixel AF is a strong point, you can have the best image in the world but if it's out of focus it's worthless.

I've seen the 70D as background camera on many places where they have real cameras.

Hopefully ML will get 1080/60p out of one of these cams, one day!

2 hours ago, richg101 said:

If I was out shooting and wanted to share stuff straight to Youtube, i'd say this beats the A7s hands down... Just set to auto/AF... use a standard, punchy colour profile, record and share. Judging by the marketing, this is exactly what they are targeting. It's clearly not a filmmakers tool, but i bet serious units are being shifted to the Youtube guys that are starting to make money and need a step up from shooting on mobile phones and stuff.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Possibly one of your best opinion pieces ever, Andrew.

Whilst so many other manufacturers steam ahead with cutting-edge tech/spec and innovations, Canon's models 'progress' at the rate of mammal evolution. Sadly, they don't feel they have to put in the effort because people (en mass) will just buy them because they are the most recognisable brand.

I work in a production company and I get annoyed at how many productions use 5DIII wherever and whenever they want something different to their usual XF105/305 workhorses. They just aren't aware there are so many far better alternatives: and this is people that work in the television production industry.

Sadly, until/unless Canon's sales and market share goes through the floor, I can't see them changing.

Could not agree with your 80D conclusions/article more Andrew.  Sony is just killing it right now, and I cannot understand why Canon  appears to not give a shit.  I've heard rumors about an expansion of their Cinema line, guess we will have to see.  By the way, can't wait to see your footage from the Bowie-Berlin memorial you shot with your FS5 - the stills looked very cool.  

The first camera I ever bought was the Canon XHA1s and the the 60d. At the time I was gobsmacked by the entire DSLR video thing. 

Now I realise Canon were never really using their stills models to appeal to video professionals. None of their DSLRs have ever had basic video features.... even the 1DC. 

Canon want video professionals on their C-series, and it's as simple as that. 

Sony offer ridiculous specs and give you everything as if it's a laugh, even if it means a little overheating. Or shitty colour. I like Sony. They will get better with the nitty gritty. They are a sensible system to buy into. 

On big commercial sets, if I ever see a DSLR it's the 5D III. And the C300. Saw an FS7 once. And the JVC LS300 for that matter! 

I like Canon's reliability and pleasing images though and I bloody hope they would give their low to mid lineup more attention with video, but it's not going to happen. (Or save up and get a 1DX II + 6 million hard drives). 

Meanwhile... Panasonic, Sony and Blackmagic all offer many solutions for us video nuts that offer a lot for every little. The only thing holding you back these days is yourself. 

On a positive note to the 80d, I'd rather use this or any Canon for stills than any other brand. They just look better, don't they? ;) 

3 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

On a positive note to the 80d, I'd rather use this or any Canon for stills than any other brand. They just look better, don't they? ;) 

They don't ;) actually I hate canon still raw files, they are thinner than air and when you pixel peep you feel like taking a trip 8 years back in the digital world.

19 hours ago, richg101 said:

HUGE numbers of idiots who don't know better buy a Canon T3i  (or similar). And HUGE numbers of people are still advocating for and recommending a T3i to newbies :-/

19 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

HUGE numbers of idiots who don't know better buy a Canon T3i  (or similar). And HUGE numbers of people are still advocating for and recommending a T3i to newbies :-/

still dirt cheap, manageable files on any computer, large sensor, sort of organic look, easy colors. ignorantly buying it, learning a little, and upgrading immediately is totally fine. if they're insanely new to video, I'm still not sure I can think of a better first camera

1 hour ago, Liam said:

still dirt cheap, manageable files on any computer, large sensor, sort of organic look, easy colors. ignorantly buying it, learning a little, and upgrading immediately is totally fine. if they're insanely new to video, I'm still not sure I can think of a better first camera

RX10? Built in everything, headphone and mic jacks, nice 1080p, 24-200mm equiv f/2.8 constant lens, image stabilization, about $500 used.

Hey Andrew, when you review the a6300 eventually, could you check if it still has that warning every time you turn the camera on if you switch it to NTSC please? That thing is really annoying and it's on every sony camera..... Doubly so if you're PAL region wanting 24p or 120 fps. :(

• Super Members
1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Yup, I still recomend it all the time. That or the G6. Great and cheap learning cameras.

I can think of one big name 'Youtuber' who will be using this, along with all his fans who try and clone his style.

At the end of the day though, it's already a relic of the past. Look at its biggest new feature, 60P at 1080. Sony's NEX5N could do this back in 2011, and for a much lower price.