EOS 80D - HDR Video?

Jimmy

Just looking through the rumoured specs and noticed "HDR movie".... Is this a new feature, or has it been on other Canon cameras that I have missed? If it is new, I wonder how and what they are doing to get it. If it pushes the camera above 13 stops, without comprimising the footage, it could be an interesting feature.

On a side note, this confirms Canon are not gonna start throwing 4K into any old camera. I think the 5D IV will probably be the only other 4K model.

http://photorumors.com/2016/02/15/this-is-the-new-canon-eos-80d-dslr-camera/#more-79395

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Just looking through the rumoured specs and noticed "HDR movie".... Is this a new feature, or has it been on other Canon cameras that I have missed? If it is new, I wonder how and what they are doing to get it. If it pushes the camera above 13 stops, without comprimising the footage, it could be an interesting feature.

On a side note, this confirms Canon are not gonna start throwing 4K into any old camera. I think the 5D IV will probably be the only other 4K model.

http://photorumors.com/2016/02/15/this-is-the-new-canon-eos-80d-dslr-camera/#more-79395

the t6s has it, its basicly boosts the shadows a little bit.

From what I was reading about the t6S mode, it does do alternating low/high ISO frames... that is why it is only available in 720p mode, as it needs 60p. The 800D should be able to do it in 1080p.

The one sample I could find looked pretty unimpressive though, hopefully they have worked on it a little more. The ML HDR feature was pretty cool, to be able to blend it in camera would be a nice touch.

1 hour ago, AaronChicago said:

It's like a faux log profile? This camera would actually be pretty great if it had the same sensor/image as the C100's.

I'm sure it's really safe to say that that won't happen. There's a 99% chance it's the same lowish resolution full HD image as always since the 5D II and there's 0 usability feature for video except for the (grantedly great) video autofocus.

Canon still is the biggest player so even if they do nothing they seem to win, but I wonder when/if they'll bring another surprise. The comments on the Canon related pages are full of the fanboys defending the 80D from people who question the speed of progress. The 1DxII is clearly better than most expected, it's just not the execution people are looking for, combined with the usual withholding of features for reasons of product portfolio segmentation. Looking forward what the C100 III will bring :sweat_smile: .

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

About Canon HDR video. It's a feature that first appeared on the Canon 760D/T6s. On that camera, when the mode is activated the resolution drops down to 720p, and auto-exposure is activated along side. The resulting image is more than 1/1.5+ stops of highlight & shadow retention. It's much more effective than some reviews tested using one scene. However the image softness at 720p & auto-exposure made this feature unusable for any professional-grade video, it's too soft when inter-cut with regular 1080p footage from the camera. 

The algorithm they use to increase dynamic range is unknown, but it's not the ML method of alternating frame-to-frame ISOs as there's no ghosting evident with any motion. It's more likely a pixel-line-by-line readout similar to Dual ISO since ML showed the camera has that function of shooting a dual-ISO readout off the sensor. Or maybe just a Log-like gamma. 

Whatever it is, as of its current form, 720p & auto-exposure, it's not something to talk about. If they make it available with full 1080p resolution & manual control then it's very welcome. The new 24mp sensor equipped cameras (t6s/t6i/m3) have a pretty good HD image with Canon colour science. Not at all still at the soft/aliased from the 70D/550D/60D/7D.

Andrew has a sample here.

I expect the 80D to have very similar HD quality. Good, D5300/gh3 good, but not great or exciting for 2016. 

12 hours ago, Jimmy said:

interesting huh i guess we will see!

question: what would you guys like better?

- a 5d4 that shoots soft 1080p, but pretty good 4k at a +/- 1.4x crop, with no c-log

~or~

- a 5d4 that shoots amaaazing 1080p from a full readout of the sensor with c-log but no 4k at all

• Administrators

Unfortunately not quite D5300 / GH3 good. Canon's new APS-C sensor doesn't have the moire & aliasing control of the former or the resolution / sharpness of the latter.

D5500 even better as it has the lovely flat profile and newer sensor, very very clean in the shadows.

Canon continue to disappoint - the 80D is basically a non-event, when it could have been a game changer.

9 hours ago, Phil A said:

I wonder what the real street price will be. Its MSRP is 1199$ while the 7DII is easily had for 1499$ (MSRP 1799$) coming with a bunch of freebies.

It will start out at MSRP, but likely rapidly drop through price reductions and specials, such as the 7DII did.

6 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I guess if they are targeting at the Youtube generation, then wifi and dual AF are more interesting than 4K

Count me as non interested though!

Solid stabilization and focus/exposure aids are more important for Youtubers than superfast autofocussing.

While some might use this camera, I don't think it will be in common use in that market segment.

Personally I am more interested to see what the video performance of the G7XM2 is like, since it has the new processor in it. That will give some indication of what Canon HD video will be like for the next 2 or 3 years.

The G7XM2 is probably capable of doing 4K btw, although it isn't enabled.