Dell XPS vs Apple Macbook Pro Conundrum

DevonChris

1 hour ago, gsenroc said:

Dell monitors are very nice, including those in their XPS laptops indeed. In fact I know most of my friends are/were using Dell for photography editing and they do recommend them. For the price it's really nice.

I'm 50/50 video/photography which is why colour fidelity is important.  Thanks for your comment.

• 2 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 17 February 2016 at 9:14 PM, gsenroc said:

Dell monitors are very nice, including those in their XPS laptops indeed. In fact I know most of my friends are/were using Dell for photography editing and they do recommend them. For the price it's really nice.

I thought I'd give an update on the conundrum.

I coaxed my Macbook Air back into life and will keep it for a while. Apple must be close to releasing updated Macbooks soon so it is worth waiting a few months to see what they release.

They are falling badly behind in the specs race so their new specs must be good to be competitive.

I did buy my wife a Dell XPS i5/8GB with1080 screen though and wow it is good. As gsenroc said, the screen is really good and very sharp. We're not using it for editing videos, but photos look really great on it.

It is very fast and the improved wifi makes a real difference. Dell support has been great too, so it has been an excellent purchase so far.

I think the version with a UHD monitor will be fantastic so I am very tempted.....

49 minutes ago, DevonChris said:

I thought I'd give an update on the conundrum.

I coaxed my Macbook Air back into life and will keep it for a while. Apple must be close to releasing updated Macbooks soon so it is worth waiting a few months to see what they release.

They are falling badly behind in the specs race so their new specs must be good to be competitive.

I did buy my wife a Dell XPS i5/8GB with1080 screen though and wow it is good. As gsenroc said, the screen is really good and very sharp. We're not using it for editing videos, but photos look really great on it.

It is very fast and the improved wifi makes a real difference. Dell support has been great too, so it has been an excellent purchase so far.

I think the version with a UHD monitor will be fantastic so I am very tempted.....

That's great!

In fact I nearly pulled the trigger on the XPS15 when it came out, the Thunderbolt 3 connector is a killer, and the Razor external video card module is about to come out.

But still I think Mac is more comfortable to work with.

11 minutes ago, red said:

Dell Outlet UK have had some great prices on both the XPS13 and XPS15 in recent days. Tempted to replace my ageing MacBook Pro.

Yep. I bought ours from the Dell outlet during their recent Valentines sale when they offered 10% off their outlet prices. Our XPS15 cost £917 including three years next day warranty and I think thats a bargain for its quality.

It was amazing to watch how fast the refurbs were selling during that sale. You had to be really quick to snap one up.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is an Easter sale at the outlet too.