VIMEO removed our ability to control playback quality - please email them with me.

DPStewart

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

got this reply earlier today

Hi Kaylee,

Thanks for reaching out.

We love getting feedback from the community about how we can improve our service. I’m making note of your suggestion, and I will share it with our product team the next time we revisit the option to default to HD on Plus and PRO accounts.

Thanks for using Vimeo. We appreciate your suggestions, so keep ’em coming!

Sincerely,
Daniel S

theres power in numbers!! lets keep hitting these guys up

I'm curious, does anyone know how this is handled when not on a computer but a mobile device? Everything on VIMEO looks decidedly awful on iPhone and iPad and I seem not to be capable to change the resolution as a viewer on these platforms. Is it always ausing the Auto function? Add in that their Amazon Fire TV app doesn't even have a search function but only your stream and WatchLater, I think somehow VIMEO is falling behind when it comes to usability.

3 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

I am for sure removing my pro account. I think they will remove all my videos if I do but fck em. Im not paying for sub par quality I refuse

Don't forget to be clear with them!
Use Kaylee's words:

"

Hi friends, 

I've enjoyed using Vimeo very much over the last several years, and I have been looking forward to upgrading to a Pro account to support my first feature film, but it has come to my attention that Vimeo's public playback structure has changed insofar as it will now "Auto-Select" a playback quality for viewers; and the tab where one could specify what playback quality is assigned has been removed.

Since controlling playback quality is the one and only reason that I would pay for a Plus or Pro account, I am no longer planning to do so. I wanted to share this feedback in hopes that your product team will take it under advisement.

Very best wishes,

Me"

HERE"S THE LINK TO THEM-
https://vimeo.com/help/contact

10 hours ago, DPStewart said:

Don't forget to be clear with them!
Use Kaylee's words:

"

Hi friends, 

I've enjoyed using Vimeo very much over the last several years, and I have been looking forward to upgrading to a Pro account to support my first feature film, but it has come to my attention that Vimeo's public playback structure has changed insofar as it will now "Auto-Select" a playback quality for viewers; and the tab where one could specify what playback quality is assigned has been removed.

Since controlling playback quality is the one and only reason that I would pay for a Plus or Pro account, I am no longer planning to do so. I wanted to share this feedback in hopes that your product team will take it under advisement.

Very best wishes,

Me"

HERE"S THE LINK TO THEM-
https://vimeo.com/help/contact

I didnt use those exact words but the message was clear. Here was the reply

image.png

mmmmYeeeahhhh..........

They're missing our point. 

They want a smoother end-user experience and that pretty much ONLY means less stuttering due to any bandwidth issues. The solution is to kill the quality. That's ALWAYS BEEN the solution. YouTube has been doing it for years.

Now I WILL give them this: "Adaptive" is indeed better than simply defaulting to something really low like 320p. DUH....

Our point is simply this: Many of us PAID subscribers NEED folks to see our stuff is as high quality as is possible. ESPECIALLY if it is clients. And EVERYBODY understands a little stuttering. NOBODY goes: "Oh my gosh, the video just stuttered for a second or two, I guess that means it's no good and I'd better turn it off!" DUH...

And don't forget the BIG one that affects everyone in an even worse way - EMBEDDING.
In MANY embedded video situations (websites etc,.) the little "HD" icon where you select playback quality DOESN'T SHOW UP. 
What you gonna do NOW? DUH...

So, in summary - DUH.

They WILL respond to paid subscribers cancelling if they don't return to at least the OPTION of a selectable minimum quality playback.

BIG THANKS, BIG THANKS, to everyone who has sent an email to Vimeo about this. Especially Paid subscribers willing to cancel.

2 hours ago, DPStewart said:

mmmmYeeeahhhh..........

They're missing our point. 

They want a smoother end-user experience and that pretty much ONLY means less stuttering due to any bandwidth issues. The solution is to kill the quality. That's ALWAYS BEEN the solution. YouTube has been doing it for years.

Now I WILL give them this: "Adaptive" is indeed better than simply defaulting to something really low like 320p. DUH....

Our point is simply this: Many of us PAID subscribers NEED folks to see our stuff is as high quality as is possible. ESPECIALLY if it is clients. And EVERYBODY understands a little stuttering. NOBODY goes: "Oh my gosh, the video just stuttered for a second or two, I guess that means it's no good and I'd better turn it off!" DUH...

And don't forget the BIG one that affects everyone in an even worse way - EMBEDDING.
In MANY embedded video situations (websites etc,.) the little "HD" icon where you select playback quality DOESN'T SHOW UP. 
What you gonna do NOW? DUH...

So, in summary - DUH.

They WILL respond to paid subscribers cancelling if they don't return to at least the OPTION of a selectable minimum quality playback.

BIG THANKS, BIG THANKS, to everyone who has sent an email to Vimeo about this. Especially Paid subscribers willing to cancel.

Dude it totally made me reevaluate my decision to get a high end camera. For what its worth I could just use a gh3 if vimeo and youtube is gonna tear into the quality of my work ! All of my work goes to the web and small screen devices. This is upsetting

This is looking more and more like "YouTube here I come!".

At first I thought it would be OK, but the more I use it, the more I feel cheated & want my money back for the next 6 months of a service I paid for, but am not getting.

Perhaps we need to be more specific when complaining - if we are paying for better quality, then they should give us the option for our desired playback quality & be sure to mention that we are not paying for a service that gives us JUST more upload space. Might be a good idea to mention using YouTube - its free and has more users!

Going to stress test this auto feature on my Brother's +10 year old iMac this weekend - if it plays it in 1080...well miracles might just be possible!

8 hours ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

This is looking more and more like "YouTube here I come!".

At first I thought it would be OK, but the more I use it, the more I feel cheated & want my money back for the next 6 months of a service I paid for, but am not getting.

Perhaps we need to be more specific when complaining - if we are paying for better quality, then they should give us the option for our desired playback quality & be sure to mention that we are not paying for a service that gives us JUST more upload space. Might be a good idea to mention using YouTube - its free and has more users!

Going to stress test this auto feature on my Brother's +10 year old iMac this weekend - if it plays it in 1080...well miracles might just be possible!

vimeo pretty much told me they have no plans to change anything but want me to send them the debug info (??? weird ???) I may transition over to youtube.

Great topic guys. 

Vimeo started this shit almost 3 months ago and have changed nothing significant. In various topics on their forum, I have posted over 15 times stating my unhappiness with the current system. First in kind words, later in more clear language. And lately just fucking rude but who gives a shit. I'm bored with them and the fact that they don't take their paying customers, like me, seriously.

They have put fingers in their ears and are singing 'lalalala, Adaptive Streaming is great, lalala'. In their latest update they even say literally 'STUDIES HAVE SHOWN THAT AS IS GREAT'. Lol. Just a big lol.

We all agree on the flaws of this system and how it can harm us video producers, but you know what's even a better argument? They are actually already experimenting on our business for the last 3 months. Without any notice or offering any alternative, they just implemented this shitty system. 

Still the first 10 seconds of all my video's start in 360p. Still, sometimes DURING playback, the resolution changes to 360p. 

Why didn't they test this system on their own shitty video's first and implemented it when it was 100% functional? Nope, they just wanted to test it in the field I guess. On my films.

It's outrageous, really. Everbody, cancel your subscriptions right now. Stop the auto-renewal of your membership right now. It's the only way how they might ever consider changing some stuff back and giving us some control back. They don't listen to our words but they will listen to money.

If you want to make a point, stop your membership right now. It has more effect than just complaining. Believe me, I tried.

1 hour ago, kidzrevil said:

I just might...they told me to send my connection speed to them like thats gonna solve my problem....or my users viewing experiences. 

Hahahaha! That's them totally NOT UNDERSTANDING what you're telling them!

"No, no, no dude...there's no 'technical difficulty'...everything's working fine. But the way you've just changed it to work is not the product I signed up and paid for!"

Head...brickwall...head....brickwall...