So frustrated! Can't get Telex/Sankor 16-D to work on APS-C/S35!

Rokkor PG

Hey guys, first post here in the forum!  I sprang for a Telex 16-D adapter last year, which as far as I could tell is a rebadged Sankor, and I can't get it to not vignette on my Nex5N's. Tried Minolta 50mm 1.4, Konica 50MM1.7, and Nikon 50MM 1.8, still get hard vignetting.  Can't seem to find any information about a good taking lens for the Sankor 16-D on APS-C, all the posts here are about MFT or FF cameras.  Sounds like I should try a 58-60mm taking lens, or only shoot on MFT through it. Helios 44 seems to be recommended by posters here.  Really bummed I can't get it work, because I got the VidAtlantic clamp and SLR magic rangefinder at the same time.  That was before I knew about the funkiness of the 16-D's front ring thread.  Anyone here successfully used this thing on a S35 camera? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It all depends on the crop factor you want to get, I use a kowa 16s with a 50mm, even with a 40mm in a nex5n. The 50 shows slightly dark corners on a 2x 3.56:1 ratio and the 40 has a hard vignette. If I go to a 2.66:1 crop and below, neither shows the vignetting. I've seen sankors on Helios, minoltas and canon fl's 58 without vignetting at 2.66:1 as well but to play it safe, get/borrow an 85mm and go from there.

And to clarify, if I'm shooting video, not still photos, where the 3:2 sensor of the Sony is a bigger read on the anamorphic and the vignetting more severe. Tito, your calculator is a great work, but as you say in the description, different sensors and crops in each particular camera and, more importantly, the anamorphic lens used can arrange for no vignetting on wider lenses... There are many 2x that would be impossible to do on a 5d iii what you did with a 50mm on one of your amazing reviews with a kowa b&h. It's a great tool but is no replacement for self experimentation :D

4 hours ago, Rokkor PG said:

Hey guys, first post here in the forum!  I sprang for a Telex 16-D adapter last year, which as far as I could tell is a rebadged Sankor, and I can't get it to not vignette on my Nex5N's. Tried Minolta 50mm 1.4, Konica 50MM1.7, and Nikon 50MM 1.8, still get hard vignetting.  Can't seem to find any information about a good taking lens for the Sankor 16-D on APS-C, all the posts here are about MFT or FF cameras.  Sounds like I should try a 58-60mm taking lens, or only shoot on MFT through it. Helios 44 seems to be recommended by posters here.  Really bummed I can't get it work, because I got the VidAtlantic clamp and SLR magic rangefinder at the same time.  That was before I knew about the funkiness of the 16-D's front ring thread.  Anyone here successfully used this thing on a S35 camera? 

16D=16F, in terms of angle, but is just a bigger version, needs 135mm on FF.  Try 16H/8Z...the widest 2x, except LOMO 35MM, works with 85mm on FF.

Hey guys, 

Thanks for the helpful replies.  Ken, this is the first time I have heard that some 2x anamorphics are wider than others? Do you mean the angle of FOV, or the width of the rear element? To clarify, from what I understand, the rear element of the anamorphic needs to be larger than the front element of the taking lens, otherwise it will vignette? From what you're saying, sounds like the 16-D is a lost cause on S35, I'll have to shoot MFT only on my adapter.  

I'm frustrated because the front elements of the lenses I mention are smaller than the rear element of my 16-D, and I still get thick vignetting.  My only 58mm lens is the Minolta 58mm F1.2, which has a front diameter of 55mm, much larger than the 49mm 16-D rear element, so they are just incompatible, correct?  My only 85 is the Rokinon with a huge front element so I figured it should vignette badly, though I will have to test my assumptions about that ASAP.   

So elgabogomez, if I understand you correctly, the standard Cinemascope ration is 2.4 or 2.66, so cropping in results in a 'standard' ratio.  That seems very liberating, since I can still use a 40mm like you said and get some extra width from the anamorphic adapter. I was hoping I wouldn't need to crop in during post, mostly because my cameras are still HD.  Once I upgrade to a 4k camera like A6300 or A7RII I think can live with that compromise.  

There are several models of 2x anamorphics in sankor, kowa, Isco, shneider, lomo, etc. with different rear and front element diameters. And some were made for 35mm projection, 16mm projection or even 8mm... The rear element diameter is not really the tell sign that it won't work with a taking lens, Brian Caldwell and Tito Ferradans had an enlightening back and forward about it in another tread. What you want is to make the anamorphic lens go as close as possible to the taking lens (without touching the glass to avoid damage) to have "maximum angle of view" (i.e. Wider taking lens). Kowas 16mm are known to allow almost 50mm lenses in full frame cameras when cropped to 2.35:1. I have the smallest of the kowas (as far as I know) the 16s and it allows 40mm in apsc and 58mm in full frame. But for it to happen the kowa needs to almost be touching the glass in the taking lens. And it has a smaller than 43mm rear element.