Point and Shoot Video

GroundtruthGeo

I am an animator and image compositor looking for a point and shoot video camera to reside in my backpack.  I currently run a Pana Gx-7, which I like, but want something that shoots 4k and is possibly a little bit smaller.  I live in central Idaho mountains, I spend a lot of time outdoors doing non-photographic stuff, but I want to have a camera that I can pack easily.  Gets good stable video without a ton of external rigging, shoots 4k so I can crop later.  Basically looking for as much cinema as possible in a jacket-pocket sized camera.  Right now looking at the Panasonic LX-100 and the Sony RX-100 iv.  Anything else I should be looking at?  Anyone have experience shooting video on either of those?  Should I just get a new iPhone?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, GroundtruthGeo said:

I am an animator and image compositor looking for a point and shoot video camera to reside in my backpack.  I currently run a Pana Gx-7, which I like, but want something that shoots 4k and is possibly a little bit smaller.  I live in central Idaho mountains, I spend a lot of time outdoors doing non-photographic stuff, but I want to have a camera that I can pack easily.  Gets good stable video without a ton of external rigging, shoots 4k so I can crop later.  Basically looking for as much cinema as possible in a jacket-pocket sized camera.  Right now looking at the Panasonic LX-100 and the Sony RX-100 iv.  Anything else I should be looking at?  Anyone have experience shooting video on either of those?  Should I just get a new iPhone?

Wait for Samsung S7. You will be pleasantly surprised. The S6 already does 4k Far Better than any iPhone  (or anyone else). Plus it takes superb stills for a Smartphone.

But wait for the S7. I don't want to say more. 

8 minutes ago, Liam said:

they're still point and shoots, still small, with longer zoom ranges (by a lot), depends on what you need. but not crazy to consider those if you're asking what else to be looking at. gopro might be the smallest possible 4k camera I guess. not very "cinema" at all though

GoPro needsto seriously correct prices. Right now it's overpriced (for the 4k). 

Wait until February 21st and then take a call. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

LX-100 is the best for your needs. Very small and shoots great cinematic 4K video. No reason to look at others unless budget doesn't fit then you could search for a true small-chip point-n-shoot that has 4K, but it won't be ''cinematic'', more like phone 4K quality. 

OK, thanks, the LX100 is what I've had in mind...  hadn't considered the Samsungs, will check them out.  One thing I like about Panasonics is all the external manual controls.  Lots of dials.  Plus I'm familiar with them via the GX-7.  I've also been thinking about the new Sony a6300.  Not super small, but maybe a lot cinematic than the LX100?