Time to step up - Panasonic GH5 must go 6K Super 35mm to compete in 2016

Andrew Reid

The one thing where GH4 just sucks is the low light performance. In fact in my testing, the GH4 performs worse than BMCC sensor. Of course the BMCC sensor has a lot fewer pixels, but still BMCC was supposed to be the camera that is no good for low light. The GH4 starts to lose resolution in the low light very quickly, and noise is not the only problem. At 200 ISO that GH4 is nice but in my opinion, already at 800, it starts to suffer from noise and from 1600 on it starts to suffer from lack of resolution. 

I got 1DX mark II because the GH4 was not good enough. GH4 is now B-camera for 4K "good light only". I hope the GH5 will have a much better sensor. If it doesn't, then it may not be worth to upgrade from GH4.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm hoping for live anamorphic desqueeze, REC709 preview when shooting with V-Log, better slow mo, better DR with possible higher bitrates. 

Too bad that Panasonic said no to S35 sensor, but hey, we can live with MFT, it also has it's own advantages, and we also have speedboosters...

3 hours ago, funkyou86 said:

I'm hoping for live anamorphic desqueeze, REC709 preview when shooting with V-Log, better slow mo, better DR with possible higher bitrates. 

Too bad that Panasonic said no to S35 sensor, but hey, we can live with MFT, it also has it's own advantages, and we also have speedboosters...

REC709 viewing would be huge. It's really hard to use V Log with the GH4 screen.

The GH5 is getting better, achoo, VLog, and some interesting photo modes too. Unless some 100mp thing is ur sh!t. 

I still can't believe they didn't include a microphone jack with the GX85/ 80/ 7 MArk ii. It's almost as bad as the castration of Theon Greyjoy. Seriously !!!

And, yawn, yagh is being s@xed up too.

Dats too much for a month now. I shall ... disappear ...

8 hours ago, Vesku said:

I know the GH5 will be excellent and full of new features. I still hope it will correct Panasonic "blind spot" and finally shows basic exposure information in video modes (iso, aperture and shutter speed). Is it too much to ask?

I would also love it if camera makers would start adding similar metadata like EXIF in photography for use in editing programs.

2 hours ago, sanveer said:

I still can't believe they didn't include a microphone jack with the GX85/ 80/ 7 MArk ii. It's almost as bad as the castration of Theon Greyjoy. Seriously !!!

I am really enjoying shooting with the GX80, and the picture is really nice.  But damn, if I could just pop a Rode Video Micro on top and plug it in I could get sound with no wind!

I think the next move should be to simply have the best 4K image on any dlsr available. No tweaks in post, adjustments to settings, external recorders, upgrades... just the best 4k video image we have seen from a €1000 photography camera (that works out of the box, no upgrades, just fuc*ing works.). BMD imagery with GH4 functionality, hell, keep photo functionality for the time-hyper-lapse nuts... but make that awesome too. Prores and throw every other codec in the garbage, stop trying to make it work, just ditch it and develop on what works. Global... rolling, figure it out. China is figuring it out. But then they are trying to break into a market where someone is trying to charge me 6000 euros for a form factor change with NO other advantages (fs5 fs700). So we are paying more up to 10 000 euros more for the same specs with more brand recognition... oh and all the buttons in the right place. And internal ND. And... Zacuto aftermarket products.

10 hours ago, karoliina said:

The one thing where GH4 just sucks is the low light performance. In fact in my testing, the GH4 performs worse than BMCC sensor. Of course the BMCC sensor has a lot fewer pixels, but still BMCC was supposed to be the camera that is no good for low light. The GH4 starts to lose resolution in the low light very quickly, and noise is not the only problem. At 200 ISO that GH4 is nice but in my opinion, already at 800, it starts to suffer from noise and from 1600 on it starts to suffer from lack of resolution. 

I got 1DX mark II because the GH4 was not good enough. GH4 is now B-camera for 4K "good light only". I hope the GH5 will have a much better sensor. If it doesn't, then it may not be worth to upgrade from GH4.

According to rumours the new Gh series will have Sony sensors that will improve lowlight capability

Sourse:

http://thenewcamera.com/panasonic-gh5-to-use-sony-sensor-and-advance-image-processor/

If the big boys from Japan Head Office (Canon, Sony...) would just start to compete with the jump-starts and disrupt-tors (bmd, kinefinity, etc) and stop trying to play to the folks who don't want any challenges and want their buttons where they used to be, our worlds could be rocked overnight. They can do it, they just won't. They want to milk us for all we have. Those that are doing it are being marginalized due to buyer skepticism.

But I tell you what, I did a search in vimeo yesterday for '4.6k' and you guys should see what people are producing by just walking out the front door (narrow your search to the last 30 days - just looking at the thumbnails should tell you that times are changing. No more cat test videos, everything looks like it belongs in a TVC ((if that ideology exists anymore???)).

Have we stopped to ask ourselves what happens when everyone has 15 stops and filmconvert? Are we going into the super DR phase, like the super desaturated phase of 2 years ago (can someone tell mr bloom)?

However, I still look at BMD vids and I don't get that anxious feeling like when I am watching an Alexa film, shot in low light (or graded that way, I don't know). Your brain tells you its too dark to see shit, but you see everything as clear as day without even having to pay attention. Its an odd viewer experience that I guess you image pros call dynamic range, roll off, science etc. I just think see it, and I know the difference from someone lowering exposure in post or shooting without light. That conflict to me is the essence of what we are trying to evoke in the average viewer - something that makes them sit up in their chair and go back to minute 1 - because something was off, but so good - it pushed the boundaries of what we see everyday. Soon we will see great images everyday, what then? Please don't say story. To me that is like an ad man saying we need a 'documentary feel'. It doesn't mean anything. Every time you put one image after the other, you are telling a story. In fact, when you pick up a camera, you are telling a story, even if you don't turn it on. Everything is subjective and nothing is new. You can only improve on the design. In our world, that means mixing different influences together to make something appear new. I could go on for days about the evolution of art. Filmmakers are no different to those who came before us, who expressed themselves with light. We are subject to the time we live in and everynow and then a true virtuoso will appear, but they are usually a talisman for many who are doing the same thing, some even better.

WHy I have sat here writing this, I don't know. Bedtime.