Panasonic DMW-MS2 GH3 microphone

ronjbase

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I purchased it and spent a day testing it for my shooting situations -- doc/verité in relatively quiet situations, indoors, subjects 5-12' away, with the mic attached to the cold shoe of the GH3. Ultimately I returned it. I found it to be quite a bit noisier than the Rode Videomic Pro that I already own, with a much sharper treble response.

Obviously neither mic is perfect for my type of one-man-band shooting, but I found the side rejection, which is very important to me, to be better with the Rode. I didn't conduct any scientific tests per se -- just lots of recording and dropping into FCP and checking levels and listening back on headphones to see which one I liked better. YMMV.

I don't need stereo recording because in addition to the audio going into the camera I record backup audio also to a camera-mounted Zoom H4N using its internal stereo mics that I sync and use as necessary in the edit.

to be honest the nature of DSLR A/D conversions via Line-In are always poor.  It isn't a priority for Canon, Nikon, or Panasonic to make pro level sound for their built-in mics.  The built-in mics already have to deal with onboard sound noise let alone the real external noise.  Therefore, don't rely on the extra accessories from these companies like Panasonic.  Zoom are ok, they mainly started as the cheap alternative in the music sector for external compact mixers and recorders, like a lower version of Fostex.  Furthermore, Zoom sound quality isn't transparent.  If you want to stay solid and future proof invest in a used Marantz recorder.  Their preamps are low noise and decent.  I use an Olympus LS-100 as ambiance or even general external sound, but for booming get a Rode NTG-3.  There as good as any industry Sennheiser, but way cheaper.  Ironically Sony is the only company that provides amazing sound even in their consumer products.  The dolby surround from the NEX VG series is amazing.  Spend about $600 at least in audio in quality gear.  you won't look back. 

Thanks for the replies, figured as much. I already use the Juiced Link with the Sennheiser SE66 and the Senn's wire lav system with my 5D Mark III. Just trying to make a smaller and lighter rig foot print. don't have time for the double audio system in my work. Had this up on the web in about 2 hours after the event.

http://www.dallasnews.com/video//?freewheel=90850&sitesection=dallasnews&VID=24268798

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I have been searching on the internet for a while now for reviews on the Panasonic DMW-MS2 mic with not much success. Nevertheless, I have found this article and video that, in opposition to what has been written in this forum, says very positive things about the Panasonic mic:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5440/panasonic-dmw-ms2-shotgun-condenser-microphone/p1

I am confused! I don't know whether I should get the Rode videomic pro, which obviously has great reviews on the net or go for the Panasonic. I am an indy filmmaker who would need efficient shotgun sound for outdoors interviews and the possibility to catch ambient sounds as well. It seems to me that the Panasonic is a good option since it allows both types of recordings while the Rode records only mono. Any thoughts? Anyone knows good quality for the price mic that does both functions as the Panasonic?

Thanks in advance for your help!

@aashkar, microphone preference is very personal. There is often no correct answer.

Panasonic DMW-MS2 is not a bad mic per se. I just found it a bit noisy and the treble response a bit too strong on my GH3.

You could always record with the Rode VMP, and capture additional ambient as you record. As a rule of thumb, get the best possible audio from your principal subject, but always record as much additional secondary audio as possible so that you have options in post-production.