Guess the Camera - Bonus Round

Mattias Burling

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
20 minutes ago, mercer said:

1st and 3rd are film... Krasnogorsk... the 2nd is Red. 

Yep the second must be the digital, bust just about any camera could look like that, the lens looks vintage.The grain on the film ones looks really good, I have 35mm scans that have worse grain than that.

The lens is constant?

• Super Members
4 minutes ago, araucaria said:

I have 35mm scans that have worse grain than that.

You should ;)
Its a medium format Yashica D with Kodak Portra 400 developed at home.

Probably should have added grain to the 2nd so it wouldn't have been so obvious. Its the BMPC4K with an old Pentacon 50mm wide open.

Here is one from the Yashica D when I have corrected for not having a blue filter and using Ektar.

13363492085_db15c51166_z.jpg

1 minute ago, Mattias Burling said:

You should ;)
Its a medium format Yashica D with Kodak Portra 400 developed at home.

Probably should have added grain to the 2nd so it wouldn't have been so obvious. Its the BMPC4K with an old Pentacon 50mm wide open.

Haha, but man than there is nothing constant ;) I was going to say the first was medium format, but it made no sense since it's a video forum :p

8 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Thought I would play a little trick to see what happens ;)

Evil mattias :p The blur on the window made me think of medium format, it's this ver nice blur. The highlight color gave away it's film even before I zoomed in for the grain ;)

Here's a dirty scan from Portra 400 with the Pentax 67, 75mm 2.8 AL (I might have posted this before). You can see this beautiful relation between blur and infocus (excuse the newton rings, shitty scanner without inserts)

22696662746_afb4671bab_o.jpg

35 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

I am not knowledgeable enough to know why, but the images here are amazing. I am depressed to learn that they are mostly film, which is above my pay grade. Just fabulous.

There's a reason people try to emulate film look with their digital stills work. I loved shooting 645-format Kodak Portra.Those colors are incredible and the smooth highlights, dayum! Also it's really hard to edit a digital shot to authentically make it look like shot on b&w silver halide film, the grain works just so totally different than digital noise.

A few years ago there was an impressive description of how Sebastião Salgado changed from analog medium format to a DSLR (Canon 1Ds III if I remember correctly when he shot Genesis), got the images developed in RAW, but then exposed to negative film and printed like before. Crazy (and crazy expensive).

wow this is interesting ive been thinking about film a lot lately. the other day i ran across a box of ektachrome slides i shot years ago, and i gotta say i was shocked at how good the images looked. i havent seen anything quite like that in a long time. it was an eye opening experience

so im a huge x files fan, but i think the new season looks like shit

what troubles me is that the creative team is full of key people from the past...

although technology does play a role, i think the bigger issue at play here is simply bad taste

on the other hand, if the new season was shot on negative film, would it look very different after post? im gonna say yes. what do you guys think?

2015-04-24-4-xfiles-hd-2.jpg

551324724.jpg?mw=1920&mh=1080&q=70

after looking at these next to each other i have to say that the juxtaposition of these two images is a perfect metaphor for how i feel about contemporary cinematography in general

8 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Question, did they go with a somewhat different look somewhere around season 4, at least temporarily?

hmmm interesting question... not as i recall...? im curious about how it felt different... i actually had a huge netflix marathon preparing for the new series lol

i think the cinematography/production design stepped up quite a bit after the first season, and edged forward from there as time went on. as a whole i feel like the look of the show changed when they moved to california... rainy foggy goth canada just fit the vibe so well, much better than constant summer socal

idk. the look of the show definitely evolved but i dont remember too much of a change around that time... how would you describe it? i must be missing something

3 hours ago, kaylee said:

wow this is interesting ive been thinking about film a lot lately. the other day i ran across a box of ektachrome slides i shot years ago, and i gotta say i was shocked at how good the images looked. i havent seen anything quite like that in a long time. it was an eye opening experience

so im a huge x files fan, but i think the new season looks like shit

what troubles me is that the creative team is full of key people from the past...

although technology does play a role, i think the bigger issue at play here is simply bad taste

on the other hand, if the new season was shot on negative film, would it look very different after post? im gonna say yes. what do you guys think?

2015-04-24-4-xfiles-hd-2.jpg

551324724.jpg?mw=1920&mh=1080&q=70

after looking at these next to each other i have to say that the juxtaposition of these two images is a perfect metaphor for how i feel about contemporary cinematography in general

Digital really makes redheads look older. 

6 hours ago, kaylee said:

hmmm interesting question... not as i recall...? im curious about how it felt different... i actually had a huge netflix marathon preparing for the new series lol

i think the cinematography/production design stepped up quite a bit after the first season, and edged forward from there as time went on. as a whole i feel like the look of the show changed when they moved to california... rainy foggy goth canada just fit the vibe so well, much better than constant summer socal

idk. the look of the show definitely evolved but i dont remember too much of a change around that time... how would you describe it? i must be missing something

Well I'm nearly certain there was at least a brief turn for the worse during the first part of season 4. Way more contrasty. I feel like the writing shifted then too a bit. Like they were trying something new and then realized their old formula was solid.