Compact hybrid system for travel documentary type fun

Phil A

I too use the M43 system.  Sometimes with a speed booster.  Last thing I did travel-wise was Indonesia; urban, coastline, and jungle.  Had a heat wave and also lots of days of rain.  Man, the humidity.  Yikes.  The LUMIX and Oly cams I had on that shoot did fine and it all fit into a very modest camera satchel.

During the trip I shot a dark Church interior as well as a few bat caves.  A handful of work at night too.  With a f1.2 prime lens and a speed booster one can get decent exposure at stay below 3200iso.  Need that low-light ability.

Depending on your environment situations, I'd also suggest putting durability and weather sealing up on the priority list.

And while it would be great to travel with robust pro gear with RAW capabilities, the work I do in the field just can't support that kind of commitment, so consumer 8-bit is the compromise.   I've not felt terribly limited, but things do depend on what you're aiming for regarding the end result.

• 4 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Just to give closure, I'm sticking with the NX1 for now. I like the easy to achieve colors and except for low light it's quite good.

I'll sit out until after NAB or maybe Photokina before making any decisions.

...even though I've just got the offer for a 1Dc with 2 years warranty for 4000$ but it's a quite big camera.

On 8 February 2016 at 7:31 PM, Cinegain said:

Get a LX100. As a famous Dutch designer would say: 'It's the art of leaving away stuff'. It's a no excuse camera 'oh, I'm just going on a short stroll; no need to bring all that gear' -> oppertunity of a lifetime has to be taken with your smartphone! 'Not sure what lens to use... this one... or this one... argh, the choice!' -> one lens to rule them all! No choices, no hassle, no excuses!

I always fall back to my LX100, especially when I travel as it covers most of what I need range-wise and has a great picture with decent stabilisation.  It and a couple of ND filters is all that I carry.  The only negatives (for me) is lack of tilt/touch screen and a better viewfinder as I sometimes have problems with seeing focus (with or without peaking).  I also cannot get S-AF working when in manual focus mode on the LX100 (which works fine on my G7 - newer camera?).  I find that handy to try to keep up with my active kids.

I sometimes use my G7+P35-100/2.8 with the LX100 for requiring longer zoom, but the OIS wobble makes me crazy on that lens.

I also sometimes use my E-M5II with a couple of primes.  I prefer the Olympus colours (looks more real accurate to me) and the stabilisation, but the image isn't nearly as good as the LX100 on wider, more detailed shots.  Shallow depth of field looks good on the Olympus, especially when hand holding (see .

All of them are good hybrid, lightweight, compact cameras, but when I travel I only take my LX100 due to the excellent manual controls, picture, and fast lens.

also looking for a light hybrid camera with good color. Use too love my hacked gh2 and 7d for stills, both stollen months ago. 
So what were the downside of the a6000 or the upcoming a6300? 

if the em5 markII had better IQ I'd go for it.

if g7 had better stills I'd go for it, 

I may buy a nx1, and old 5dIIIm a6300 or the no brainers em5II or g7