URSA Mini Getting Terrible Reviews

jacoblewis

I don't know about you, but I've been looking forward to testing out the new URSA Mini.  It seems to have corrected all my qualms with Blackmagic Design's previous attempts at camera manufacturing (primarily in the ergonomics department).

I jumped on B&H to read some reviews, and they're overwhelmingly bad. See for yourself: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1137314-REG/blackmagic_design_cinecamursam40k_ef_ursa_4k_digital_cinema.html

Curious if EOSHD users have had the same [bad] experiences with the URSA mini.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've heard none of those.  Remember folks - this camera has only been out for EIGHT WEEKS (give or take) and they have NOT shipped very many of them. NOT Problems: 1. - The 'noise' issue. It is

Awesome pun!

Yeah, same thing like with the BMPC4K. You cant starve it from light like that no matter what ISO you have. It needs to be exposed. At the end of this the sun has come down and I start to push th

26 minutes ago, jacoblewis said:

I don't know about you, but I've been looking forward to testing out the new URSA Mini.  It seems to have corrected all my qualms with Blackmagic Design's previous attempts at camera manufacturing (primarily in the ergonomics department).

I jumped on B&H to read some reviews, and they're overwhelmingly bad. See for yourself: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1137314-REG/blackmagic_design_cinecamursam40k_ef_ursa_4k_digital_cinema.html

Curious if EOSHD users have had the same [bad] experiences with the URSA mini.

Wow, that's a lot of bad reviews!

I know the Ursa Mini 4.6k is the "one to get" however the amount of issues the 4k version has can't be ignored. Money/reputation is always on the line during a shoot - so going Blackmagic seems like a massive risk. 

The cameras will need a while to mature and get firmware updates. 

I actually pre-ordered the Ursa Mini 4.6k (first time I've pre-ordered) and cancelled it months ago. Bought the A7SII and lenses instead. 

I'm personally monitoring the Sony FS5 + Recorder solution/rawupdate.... I've clicked with the A7SII and fancy pairing them up if all goes well. :) 

I can't verify either way since I have not owned or used one, but this discussion has gone on at another forum as well. My understanding is that the majority of the issues would not be if users worked within the cameras known strengths and weaknesses. Seems to also be some kinks with some of the cameras as well. Hopefully BM resolve these sooner than later. 

I also preordered and cancelled. I still think that the 4.6K will one day be my camera, but the image one can get from the bmcc and pocket are so awesome that I am happy to use them until both I and the 4.6K are ready. 

All the complaints seem to be about noise and image quality. Well, nothing of this is news since the Ursa Mini 4K has the same sensor, with the same issues, as the old Blackmagic 4K Production Cinema Camera. People could just have tested or downloaded footage from the old camera. But Blackmagic's marketing is to blame, too (once again...), because many people don't seem to be aware of the difference between the 4K and the 4.6K Ursa Mini.

But the image the 4k UrsaMini produces is wonderful, within limits. The people who have been putting stuff out with it have been able to capture beautiful images when lit properly. Low light and DR are the main issues, but just know that going in. Some may be getting lemons, or they may be trolls, but it is easy to tell you can create some good stuff with that cam if used properly.

Just editing music video shoot on BMPCC pro res HQ with speedbuster and yashica 24mm i have some cash to spend and and was looking at ursa or red mx but at this point i don't see why i should spend over 6000k for ursa or mx but geek in me wants it so bad. I am looking at fully loaded mx for 4500 but do i really need 4.5k i mean, what i am seeing from BMPCC is dam nice image. But still geek in me is screaming GETTTTTTT IT

• Super Members
28 minutes ago, enny said:

Just editing music video shoot on BMPCC pro res HQ with speedbuster and yashica 24mm i have some cash to spend and and was looking at ursa or red mx but at this point i don't see why i should spend over 6000k for ursa or mx but geek in me wants it so bad. I am looking at fully loaded mx for 4500 but do i really need 4.5k i mean, what i am seeing from BMPCC is dam nice image. But still geek in me is screaming GETTTTTTT IT

As an owner of both the BMCC and MX.. You need it :)

The look of the old MX is just so sweet. Totally get why most redusers gets nostalgic over it.

5 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Nothing new, same thing with the BMCC, BMPCC, BMPC4K and URSA.
Wait until some actual users have it.

So true. I think it's mostly inexperienced and non-pros that have been buying the camera and giving bad reviews.

So even though the reviews on B&H are bad I still ordered a 4k mini ursa anyway. I'm picking it up Monday and I'm looking forward to using this camera. I will do some test shots to see if those bad reviews are true and I will post the video up on this forum. It's hard to believe the UM4k is that bad. 

18 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

My understanding is that the majority of the issues would not be if users worked within the cameras known strengths and weaknesses.

By the reviews, it sounds like there's an awful lot of weaknesses.  Like not being able to shoot without noise.  Like the damn thing breaking after 3 days.   BM had better step the fuck up,and quick.

1 hour ago, AaronChicago said:

Blackmagic says to not boot up in cold weather to prevent FPN...

Actually my understanding is that it's not cold weather, but cold resting temp. Apparently you need to do a power cycle once it's been on for a few minutes and at normal running temp. The sensor is having trouble calibrating itself as it goes from resting temp to running temp. Still annoying, but at least there's a workaround and I assume BM will get it right eventually. 

• Super Members
2 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

Blackmagic says to not boot up in cold weather to prevent FPN...

No they dont. They say what Jones wrote.

The good news is that the Digital Bolex had the same issue and it was an easy firmware fix.

Again, just wait. This is standard for BMD. The early adopters are the true beta testers. Bugs will get sorted out. 

It was the same thing with earlier cameras. Feeling confident, buy it. Excpect it to be perfect, wait a few months. Or buy one of the other 4K Raw shooting cameras...

Im actually thinking about buying it again. Would have no fear doing it.

7 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

No they dont. They say what Jones wrote.

The good news is that the Digital Bolex had the same issue and it was an easy firmware fix.

Again, just wait. This is standard for BMD. The early adopters are the true beta testers. Bugs will get sorted out. 

It was the same thing with earlier cameras. Feeling confident, buy it. Excpect it to be perfect, wait a few months. Or buy one of the other 4K Raw shooting cameras...

Im actually thinking about buying it again. Would have no fear doing it.

From Captain Hook:

posted this in other threads, but it happens when the camera is turned on while being cold, then warms up to operating temperature. It's more likely to happen in colder environments. The current suggested workaround is to power cycle the camera while it's still warm and the lines won't be an issue during that power cycle. We are working on it.

• Super Members
10 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

From Captain Hook:

posted this in other threads, but it happens when the camera is turned on while being cold, then warms up to operating temperature. It's more likely to happen in colder environments. The current suggested workaround is to power cycle the camera while it's still warm and the lines won't be an issue during that power cycle. We are working on it.

Excactly what Jones wrote. 

A bit different than,

"Blackmagic says to not boot up in cold weather to prevent FPN..."