PANASONIC G7 ATOMOS NINJA ASSASSIN 4K

andy lee

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, sanveer said:

Can any owner/ use say whether the G7 exhibits shutter shock? 

Shutter shock happens with the mechanical shutter within the range of 125-250 shutters. It is absent when using the electronic shutter.

GX8 and GX85 seem to be the first Lumix cameras not to exhibit this unwanted feature when in mechanical shutter mode.

17 hours ago, sanveer said:

Can any owner/ use say whether the G7 exhibits shutter shock? 

Yes it does. Still unclear to me whether this is lens or body related. I experienced it with the 14-140mm, the only native M43 lens I own. Electronic shutter gives massive improvement in the aforementioned shutter speed range. Drawbacks are less bit depth (though not sure about that) and distortions on fast moving subjects. Has been working fine though for me.

For video on the G7 I use vintage glass. This reminds me I should test those also with mechanical versus electronic shutter. Should be able to identify the source of the 'shock', no?

9 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Shutter shock happens with the mechanical shutter within the range of 125-250 shutters. It is absent when using the electronic shutter.

GX8 and GX85 seem to be the first Lumix cameras not to exhibit this unwanted feature when in mechanical shutter mode.

2 hours ago, Timotheus said:

Yes it does. Still unclear to me whether this is lens or body related. I experienced it with the 14-140mm, the only native M43 lens I own. Electronic shutter gives massive improvement in the aforementioned shutter speed range. Drawbacks are less bit depth (though not sure about that) and distortions on fast moving subjects. Has been working fine though for me.

For video on the G7 I use vintage glass. This reminds me I should test those also with mechanical versus electronic shutter. Should be able to identify the source of the 'shock', no?

Thank you for your replies. I thought the GX8 exhibited huge shutter shock too. That's what I read online.

The 14-140 (the first version especially) is (in)famous for creating shutter shock. Maybe it needs re-programming, or it needs its mechanical parts to be re-worked on. 

I asked cause I was thinking between getting a G7 or a GX85 (or even a Sony, since their pricing is similar to Panasonic's here). Have been without a camera for quite a few months, and I have become restless. 

• 3 months later...
On 7/6/2016 at 6:32 PM, sanveer said:

Thank you for your replies. I thought the GX8 exhibited huge shutter shock too. That's what I read online.

The 14-140 (the first version especially) is (in)famous for creating shutter shock. Maybe it needs re-programming, or it needs its mechanical parts to be re-worked on. 

I asked cause I was thinking between getting a G7 or a GX85 (or even a Sony, since their pricing is similar to Panasonic's here). Have been without a camera for quite a few months, and I have become restless. 

Can video have shutter shock or is it just stills?

11 hours ago, Hanriverprod said:

Can video have shutter shock or is it just stills?

Not really. Unlike a physical shutter movement that takes places for stills, during video there is no real shutter movement and the camera captures images by sending power to the sensor for shorter bits. That is the reason for the motion artefacts of rolling shutter in (cmos) sensors that are unable to read the sensor details fast enough due to slowet sensors. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/28/2016 at 1:37 PM, DBounce said:

No, I have yet to find one that I can live with size and weight wise. Have been kicking around the idea of the moondog labs 37mm adapter. But that means a bigger beefier gimbal. So for now I'm just letterboxing it. And yes, I know it's not the same thing... Believe me, I know.

But how do you keep it small and light, with single focus, and anamorphic? Better still, how can I keep the brilliant 1DXMk2 DPAF and still do anamorphic? 

Well you could try to win the Lotto!  :grin: With a DSLR you are Very limited to what you can adapt. And none of it is cheap. My Video DSLR days are done because of that very fact.

I know there are a few Nikon to EF adapters around, so might luck out that way on the 1DXMk2. But no AF that I know of. Sort of defeats the purpose of the 1DX!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello there,

I have bought a Ninja Flame recorder (follow up from the assasin)

Now i am wondering how it works with the G7:

-How do i go about if i don't want to record the GUI from my g7's screen? I mean i want to see the data on my G7's screen, but i don't want to record it on the atomos.

-And how do i go about with the peaking? Do i just turn of the peaking and use the peaking from the Atomos ninja Flame?

And are there any other tips for somebody who just starts to work with an external recorder and the G7

thanx in front

greetz Lenny

• 2 years later...
15 hours ago, sanveer said:

I guess he's moved to the Sony A Series from Panasonic. He was baking the colours into the Panasonic G7, on the last shoot we heard about (in 2016-17). He's been doing travel videos, from what I can guess. 

Thank you for your reply.  Andy was a great source of k-h.  Do you have any link to his new travel videos and finalised shot we heard about in 2016-17?  I could not google it up.

1 hour ago, sanveer said:

About that 2016-17 Panasonic-shot film, I have absolutely no idea about. 

It is on IMDB, but otherwise I've got no idea what is going on with that Panasonic G7 shot feature. 

1 hour ago, sanveer said:

Check his channel via this video.

Huh?????? Are Andy Lee and Brandon Li the same person???

11 hours ago, IronFilm said:

It is on IMDB, but otherwise I've got no idea what is going on with that Panasonic G7 shot feature. 

Huh?????? Are Andy Lee and Brandon Li the same person???

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha 

I suddenly realised that I never thought about it ???

On 12/28/2019 at 8:44 PM, Adept said:

Hi,

What happened with Andy Lee, the master of, among others, G7?

Best,

Been busy Directing a feature film shot on Arri Alexa Plus XR and Panasonic GH5 . I don't use Sony . 

On 12/30/2019 at 7:22 AM, sanveer said:

Check his channel via this video. This has stme great cinematography and editing and very impressive sound design:

About that 2016-17 Panasonic-shot film, I have absolutely no idea about. 

This is not me !! I'm based in the UK my production company is busy with feature films.