PANASONIC G7 ATOMOS NINJA ASSASSIN 4K

andy lee

2 minutes ago, Stab said:

Guys do your G7's also break up the recorded files into clips of 6 minutes in length? Just bought one and realised mine is doing that. No skipped frames in between though, only the clips all have a duration of 6:00.

Normal? Or a setting that can be tweaked?

Not sure. Never had a reason to run it that long. Sorry, wish I could be more helpful. But I assume it's normal and has to do with maximum file size.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

yes the camera sits on a quick release plate and the lens is cable tied to the lens support to its rock solid for the follow focus , the whole camera lens unit can be quickly taken out the rig if needed with minimal effort .

those are Gini Rigs CANON MK111 cages they are great on the G7 as you have lots of room around the camera for easy access , like the record button ! - doh !

@andy lee Thanks for the infos. I thinking about buying a atomos ninja assassin. The open question for me is the format over hdmi. Is it 4:2:0 oder 4:2:2 and 8 or 10 Bit. Do you know this? And another question. Do you change anything else than natural profile saturation -5 , contrast -5 on the camera.

@Stab The 6:00 limit is a problem with the filesystem. On fat32 the max filesize is 4GB, this is around 6 Min with 4K

• 2 weeks later...

Really really happy after reading all of these words about my new G7 that I bought a month ago. \m/ 

Im still confused in what you guys said about 4k and down to 1080p. :-? May I ask about the solution for this ? 

. You guys use a particular software ? 

.Or just put it in an editing software and adjust the sequence setting ?

.Or any external actions :-? 

Many thanks !!! 

• 2 months later...

Hello There,

I am delighted to have found this post. I have learned a lot from it :-)

Can somebody tell me if the 422 prores recorded with the atomos Ninja Assasin is 8bit or 10bit ?

And what does the speedbooster exactly do, i mean what is the difference compared with normal panasonic lenses mounted onto it?

I just have the basic setup with the kit lens. I only film in a homemade green-screen studio. No professional stuff, just private projects for youtube.

How important would it be for me to invest money in either a Atomos Ninja assasin or a speedbooster?  In other words how good is the quality with the kit lens?

Hope somebody can help.

Greetz lenny

4 hours ago, lenny87 said:

Can somebody tell me if the 422 prores recorded with the atomos Ninja Assasin is 8bit or 10bit ?

Hey Lenny!

Output would be 8bit. The 4K and 1080 24p codec is on the G7 is very good. One main advantage with external recording to an Atomos would be Prores- a codec which is easier on your editing system. Other than that you got a very, very nice camera in your hands.

Speedbooster is giving lenses about the same field of view of Super 35mm, the main film standard, so of cameras as FS7, C100/300/500, etc.

They make the field of view of a lens a little bit wider on your Panny G7 or any other M43 camera, such as GH4, GH3, GF1, E-PL1..:)

These Speedboosters exist for different lens mounts, so you can adapt lenses with Pentax K-mount, M42, Nikon F-mount, Canon EF mount, etc.

You can adapt these lenses with ordinary adapters as well. Speedboosters, additionally, just give you a slight boost in field of view and about 1 Fstop of light gathering/ effecitively sensitivity.

Your kit lens is sharp, but colors are rather on the video side, more broadcast look than Hollywood:), hard to fix in post but possible.

Manual focus is not so nice, because it´s not mechanical.

So my suggestion would be: get an ordinary adapter for Canon FD on m43 mount for about 15USD/EU, plus an 28mm F2.8 in Canon FD mount

from Canon (about 20 to 40 USD), Sigma or Tokina or Vivitar or Kiron (cheaper alternatives). Nice filmic combo to produce fantastic results!

Plus Canon FD 50mm 1.8 for 15 to 30 USD.

There are so many lens tips on this forum from Andy Lee and other guys. But for a start my suggestions would

be fine. Avoid the GAS, Gear acquistion syndrome and keep it simple for the beginning.:)

24mm option would be about 40 to 100 EUR:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIGMA-SUPER-WIDE-II-24mm-f-2-8-CANON-FD-MOUNT-LENS-W-HOOD-/322114601538?hash=item4aff86c242:g:-80AAOSwOVpXWDpq

cheers

7 hours ago, lenny87 said:

A Panasonic rep at the recent Cinegear insisted to me that the G7 HDMI output was 8 bit, 4:2:0.  However, the Ninja Assassin probably records that signal at 10 bit, 4:2:2 Prores.

On 6/21/2016 at 7:05 AM, tupp said:

A Panasonic rep at the recent Cinegear insisted to me that the G7 HDMI output was 8 bit, 4:2:0.  However, the Ninja Assassin probably records that signal at 10 bit, 4:2:2 Prores.

So it's not true 10 bit, 4:2:2 Right? Or am I missing something? I'v read that what you out put is all you can get so nothing will be enhanced by a recorder. I would LOVE to be wrong here btw.

Very likely 8 bit coming out of the G7 HDMI, but not so sure as to the chroma sampling.

These properties probably could be discovered by someone with a G7 who also has an NLE with a stream capture function

On 21/06/2016 at 1:03 PM, PannySVHS said:

Hey Lenny!

Output would be 8bit. The 4K and 1080 24p codec is on the G7 is very good. One main advantage with external recording to an Atomos would be Prores- a codec which is easier on your editing system. Other than that you got a very, very nice camera in your hands.

Speedbooster is giving lenses about the same field of view of Super 35mm, the main film standard, so of cameras as FS7, C100/300/500, etc.

They make the field of view of a lens a little bit wider on your Panny G7 or any other M43 camera, such as GH4, GH3, GF1, E-PL1..:)

These Speedboosters exist for different lens mounts, so you can adapt lenses with Pentax K-mount, M42, Nikon F-mount, Canon EF mount, etc.

You can adapt these lenses with ordinary adapters as well. Speedboosters, additionally, just give you a slight boost in field of view and about 1 Fstop of light gathering/ effecitively sensitivity.

Your kit lens is sharp, but colors are rather on the video side, more broadcast look than Hollywood:), hard to fix in post but possible.

Manual focus is not so nice, because it´s not mechanical.

So my suggestion would be: get an ordinary adapter for Canon FD on m43 mount for about 15USD/EU, plus an 28mm F2.8 in Canon FD mount

from Canon (about 20 to 40 USD), Sigma or Tokina or Vivitar or Kiron (cheaper alternatives). Nice filmic combo to produce fantastic results!

Plus Canon FD 50mm 1.8 for 15 to 30 USD.

There are so many lens tips on this forum from Andy Lee and other guys. But for a start my suggestions would

be fine. Avoid the GAS, Gear acquistion syndrome and keep it simple for the beginning.:)

24mm option would be about 40 to 100 EUR:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIGMA-SUPER-WIDE-II-24mm-f-2-8-CANON-FD-MOUNT-LENS-W-HOOD-/322114601538?hash=item4aff86c242:g:-80AAOSwOVpXWDpq

cheers

He PannySVHS,

Thanx for your great reply. This ordinary adapter for canon fd on m43 mount, where can i buy it, or how can i find it on the internet? Do you have a link for this?

And with the Kit lens i mostly film in the 14mm position, cause i need it to be wide angle, cause i am filming in a small green screen room and i can't put the camera

further to the back. What would be a good lense to get the same wideness?

Thanx in front.

Greetz Lenny

Hey Lenny,

just search for m43 or mft and fd. Instead of fd you can pick any other mount you wish, like k-mount, ef-mount, etc.

Why not just using the kitzoom at its 14mm for green screening?

If you want a lens mith mechanical aperture you could buy a 20mm cosina lens in FD mount for around 100 to 150 USD plus

a China Speedbooster for FD to mft/m43 mount of your camera for 100 USD, so about 200 to 250 USD in sum.

The speedbooster has a factor of 0.7, which makes the 20mm a 14mm lens.

Another route would be a 28mm Canon FD for 20 to 30 USD, a dummy mft to FD adapter for 15 and a 0.7 wideangle adapter.

I just don´t know, if there a good ones outthere without the DIY effort, which Fritze Pierre was writing about in his awesome post

for another thread:

cheers

12 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Hey Lenny,

just search for m43 or mft and fd. Instead of fd you can pick any other mount you wish, like k-mount, ef-mount, etc.

Why not just using the kitzoom at its 14mm for green screening?

If you want a lens mith mechanical aperture you could buy a 20mm cosina lens in FD mount for around 100 to 150 USD plus

a China Speedbooster for FD to mft/m43 mount of your camera for 100 USD, so about 200 to 250 USD in sum.

The speedbooster has a factor of 0.7, which makes the 20mm a 14mm lens.

Another route would be a 28mm Canon FD for 20 to 30 USD, a dummy mft to FD adapter for 15 and a 0.7 wideangle adapter.

I just don´t know, if there a good ones outthere without the DIY effort, which Fritze Pierre was writing about in his awesome post

for another thread:

cheers

Thanx for this helpful reply,

i probably stick with the kit lens for now, cause as you said it is very good for my green screen room cause of the 14mm

The only reason i was thinking to change from lens is cause of the color quality. I think in this thread (or in another thread somewhere else?) somebody said that the kit lens

has good quality and sharpness, but the color quality is a bit less.

Anyway thanx for your help, now i know what kind of lens i could buy if the budget allows it

Greetz Lenny

Hello there,

Is there anybody that has experience with color correcting the G7 footage in resolve using the Color Chart option?

I am asking cause i am correcting the colors through the color chart option in resolve. Here i need to set the Source Gamma. And now i am doubting between rec709 and Srgb?

Cause i am not sure if the G7  films with a rec709 or Srgb Source gamma?

In the foto-camera-menu-option there is a color space option. In here you can choose between Srgb and Adobergb. therefore i thought the video camera filmed in Srgb?

Somebody on the G7 facebook page told me that the G7 films Linear with rec709.

In the video menu in the G7 i can't figure out if it films Srgb or rec709. That's why i am confused.

I hope somebody can help.

Thanx in front

greetz Lenny