PANASONIC G7 ATOMOS NINJA ASSASSIN 4K

andy lee

I think a lot of times I know too much, yet not enough, so I'm my own worst enemy. I am overthinking this. I have to take what I've learned and go and shoot like I did with my eos-m, instinctually, instead of trying to be a pro.

Andy, did you say you recommend the Zhongyl as the best cheapo speedbooster? I know the XL is the best, but if you could only afford one of the cheapo speedboosters?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, andy lee said:

I used to use Zhongyi on my G6 but now I use Metabones XL on the G7 as it is x0.64 and cancels out the 2.3 crop down to an APSC 1.6 I like best.

Love the info you're sharing, but minor math correction. The G7's 4K crop factor is actually 2.2-- slightly improved over the GH4. With the SBXL providing a .64x reduction, that puts your final crop factor at a healthy 1.408x. That's almost the exact size of spherical s35. Pretty swanky. :glasses:

thats the point Im making from Andrew Reeds original blog on this combination . you have a Super 35mm field of view like and Alexa with an image quality that in my tests looked as good as the Alexa footage we campared it to - all at a fraction of the cost ...and Size too , you can get a Panny on a car Dashboard easily I do this alot for incar shots.

Guys, I'm messing around with my new Panasonic G7 and I've noticed a something weird. 

Focus peaking does seem to work great, but actually only after I hit the record button. So when I'm previewing the scene I only see a couple of 'peaking lines' at most, but when I'm recording I see tens of lines aiding me. In other words, peaking works great during recording but not so much before I hit the record button.

Is that normal? Or is it some kind of setting I can tweak? Thanks!

44 minutes ago, Stab said:

Guys, I'm messing around with my new Panasonic G7 and I've noticed a something weird. 

Focus peaking does seem to work great, but actually only after I hit the record button. So when I'm previewing the scene I only see a couple of 'peaking lines' at most, but when I'm recording I see tens of lines aiding me. In other words, peaking works great during recording but not so much before I hit the record button.

I have the same issue, I think it's normal. And yes it is annoying. I have mine set to Low with orange color. It works better with modern lenses as well. 

7 minutes ago, andy lee said:

I only dial down the saturation and contrast to -5 everything else is at zero, then grade it to put the colour and contrast back in .

Don't let Ebrahim hear you say that. Haha. Thanks I'll try that next. Overall, I am really liking the Natural profile. Much easier to lightly tweak than CineLikeD. 

4 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

That's by far the best footage/screengrabs I've seen you post.

Thanks... I think. Yeah, I've been known to be a little heavy handed. This go around, I stopped worrying about histograms and waveforms and grading, and just went for an honest image. 

Plus I really love this new Sigma lens.

Hi Andy thx a lot for all the time end precious informations shared. I have a gini followfocus, from i think 4 years and i love it. Really massive well dumpened stuff. I still have a question what about the bit dept on internal and external recording? Is the hdmi output 4:2:2 ? Or it's only 4:2:0 ? And what is the maximum bitrate in external recorder for 1080p video ? . Thx a lot again.

23 hours ago, mercer said:

Don't let Ebrahim hear you say that. Haha. Thanks I'll try that next. Overall, I am really liking the Natural profile. Much easier to lightly tweak than CineLikeD. 

you get a much more usable image with natural and you dont need to get so tweeked up re correcting like you do with cine D profile ,that ties you up in knots correcting before you actually put the look on it you want to . I used natural on the g6 for 2 years now Im using it on the G7 ,

On March 12, 2016 at 7:11 PM, andy lee said:

I only dial down the saturation and contrast to -5 everything else is at zero, then grade it to put the colour and contrast back in .

Sorry, but I need to ask... Why do you leave sharpening and noise reduction at 0? Everything I have read seems to contradict that. Of course, nothing you have written about the G7 has been wrong yet, so it's definitely worthy of a test.

2 hours ago, andy lee said:

you get a much more usable image with natural and you dont need to get so tweeked up re correcting like you do with cine D profile ,that ties you up in knots correcting before you actually put the look on it you want to . I used natural on the g6 for 2 years now Im using it on the G7 ,

Yes, good point. I actually like the basic, out of box, look of CineLikeD, but it takes too much to correct without the latitude to do it justice. Thanks to ReanaissanceMan, I have been reading up on this Leeming LUT, which seems to have some promise, but for now Natural seems to be the best option. If the guy makes a G7 version of the LUT, I may give it a try because people are getting some great results. 

I leave nr and sharpening at 0 because I like the look this profile gives when saturation and contrast are -5 , Panasonic have done an amazing job on the codec for this camera in 4k UHF its the best they have ever done in a small micro m4/3 camera yet, I personally don't believe in adding sharpening in post ever , I just don't do it never have never will , just get it right in camera first , all my tests against the red and Alexa where done on these settings and I like how the final image looks once graded , it works so I'm not going to start sharpening every cut I do in post when it looks great straight out the camera . I like pin sharp images I use the best aspheric lenses I can , the Nikon zooms ate insanely sharp and produce a great usable  image

On 12 March 2016 at 2:51 PM, Stab said:

I get the same thing with both my G7 and LX100.  I'm not sure how to improve this.  One way I work around this is to use yellow as the colour and then switch the LCD to monochrome to have the peaking jump out a bit more.

I find the peaking in my Olympus EM-5II much more obvious.  

Please post back if you find a solution.

4 hours ago, andy lee said:

I leave nr and sharpening at 0 because I like the look this profile gives when saturation and contrast are -5 , Panasonic have done an amazing job on the codec for this camera in 4k UHF its the best they have ever done in a small micro m4/3 camera yet, I personally don't believe in adding sharpening in post ever , I just don't do it never have never will , just get it right in camera first , all my tests against the red and Alexa where done on these settings and I like how the final image looks once graded , it works so I'm not going to start sharpening every cut I do in post when it looks great straight out the camera . I like pin sharp images I use the best aspheric lenses I can , the Nikon zooms ate insanely sharp and produce a great usable  image

That's a straightforward answer, thanks.

You haven't steered me wrong yet, I'll give it a go next time.