PANASONIC G7 ATOMOS NINJA ASSASSIN 4K

andy lee

camera tests where paid for by the production company so they own them , I can't post those , BUT take it from me the results where mind blowing , I was amazied it was so good and clean in the blacks in low light no fizzing noise at all and NO BANDING at all , I did lots a of graduated Gelled lights spread across walls and tested from Bight colours to falling off into shadows and NO BANDING !! very nice clean images , did alot of heavy grading in a DaVinci Suite at Media City in Salford and we pushed the images to the max and they held up to all we threw at them , this camera is significantly better in my opinion than the GH4 , rigged up correctly it is a very serious film making tool and a very good price for what it delivers all the tests where done 24p UHD 4k in Natural Profile contrast -5, saturation -5 (I did not use Cine D we tested it alot and it takes too much correction to get it back usable. ) Maximum ISO I used was up to 800 , I'm lighting sets to f2.8 and max 800 ISO is cool , I'm down at 400 and 320 alot .

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, andy lee said:

camera tests where paid for by the production company so they own them , I can't post those , BUT take it from me the results where mind blowing , I was amazied it was so good and clean in the blacks in low light no fizzing noise at all and NO BANDING at all , I did lots a of graduated Gelled lights spread across walls and tested from Bight colours to falling off into shadows and NO BANDING !! very nice clean images , did alot of heavy grading in a DaVinci Suite at Media City in Salford and we pushed the images to the max and they held up to all we threw at them , this camera is significantly better in my opinion than the GH4 , rigged up correctly it is a very serious film making tool and a very good price for what it delivers all the tests where done 24p UHD 4k in Natural Profile contrast -5, saturation -5 (I did not use Cine D we tested it alot and it takes too much correction to get it back usable. ) Maximum ISO I used was up to 800 , I'm lighting sets to f2.8 and max 800 ISO is cool , I'm down at 400 and 320 alot .

Hallo Andy,

this is a great post to go along the angieux/tokina one. Such a great source of knowledge! Thank you very much.

Just one question, test were done with the internal codec, right? So how does the HDMI to Assasin compare to the internal footage,

is ist noisier due to lack of any noise reduction? cheers and thanks!

it is the younger , faster , quicker , better syndrome , its a new camera and has significant improvements made in the 18 months since the GH4 came out

The G7 is amazing in low light with super clean blacks NO FIZZY NOISE !! unreal in a such a cheap camera its image quality is outstanding , no banding issues either . I highly recomend you get one

1 hour ago, andy lee said:

it is the younger , faster , quicker , better syndrome , its a new camera and has significant improvements made in the 18 months since the GH4 came out

The G7 is amazing in low light with super clean blacks NO FIZZY NOISE !! unreal in a such a cheap camera its image quality is outstanding , no banding issues either . I highly recomend you get one

I'll do!! Thank you very much Andy, your advices are always super precious! ;) 

p.s.: how about 1080p, 50fps slow motion etc.?? is it the same 100mps as the GH4?

Andy,  what cages are those?  I have been looking for a cage for my G7.  can you access the battery and SD card slot.

13 hours ago, andy lee said:

G7 is a totally natural progression from the G6 , it does all the G6 does plus more - so sell your g6 and buy a G7

DSC_0064.jpg

Those look like the cheap generic and multi-rebranded DSLR (Canon 5D) ones... Just go to your Amazon site of choice and look for 'DSLR Cage 5D'. E.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Goliton®-Portable-Camcorder-Handheld-Stabilizer/dp/B00FVRX41E/

But you can get one custom fitted like this for example:

honu_v2_specs.jpg?1831

~ http://kamerar.com/collections/popular-products/products/fhugen-gh3-video-cage

Ignore those last pics of cages they were just some test rigs I threw together from spare parts from our grip store , The Cages I use to shoot with are GINI RIGS see pics of the 2 Nikon Bourne Lenses fully rigged up with Gini Rigs 5D MK111 cages , I like these big cages as I can get my hands inside on the camera to make adjustments , I dont like small cages that totally cover the camera - so all my shooting rigs have these superb Gini Rigs cages and lens supports and super smooth Gini Rigs follow focus , these are BIG follow focus great for very fine focus moves, the camera is mounted ona quick release plate inside the rig so you can de rig the whole camera and lens assembly out the rig when needed , lenses are all cable tied to lens supports to stop any lens movement due to follow focus .

DSC_0107.jpg

DSC_0108.jpg

DSC_0110.jpg

DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0112.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

DSC_0115.jpg

Ah! Alright. Sweet set-up. That's what I'm talking about. :grin:

For the shortest while Ginirigs had an even more budget friendly daughter company called ABCRig. That's when I snapped up the GH4 cage kit, that quickly transforms into a basic rig. And then for some more elaborate stuff a proper but basic Ginirigs (Custom 7). Both for close to nothing. From their eBay store, where little to nothing happens these days unfortunately... but yeah, solid stuff at fair prices indeed!

- Just one quick question perhaps: why do you have the handle offset like that?