PANASONIC G7 ATOMOS NINJA ASSASSIN 4K

andy lee

PANASONIC G7 ATOMOS NINJA ASSASSIN 4K

Is anyone on the forum using this combination to record the HDMI out the Panasonic G7 into a Atomos Ninja Assasin ,

I've been chatting with Nick Driftwood who recomends GH4 @ 4k with atomos ,

has anyone on here got any footage they have shot with this combination of G7 and Atomos?

As you can record Pro Res on the Ninja Assassin - so Im told!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have just been sent a ProRes file recorded in 4K UHD off a Panasonic G7 via the HDMI out onto a Atomos Ninja Assassin , on checking the file in Quick Time movie inspector it says APPLE PRORES 422 (HQ) 3840 X 2160 25fps 744.97 mb/s

So it does it the G7 streams 4K UHD out its HDMI out !!! - amazing this is now a serious film making tool when paired with a Metabones Speedbooster XL and Nikon 2.8 Zooms lenses

3 hours ago, andy lee said:

I have just been sent a ProRes file recorded in 4K UHD off a Panasonic G7 via the HDMI out onto a Atomos Ninja Assassin , on checking the file in Quick Time movie inspector it says APPLE PRORES 422 (HQ) 3840 X 2160 25fps 744.97 mb/s

So it does it the G7 streams 4K UHD out its HDMI out !!! - amazing this is now a serious film making tool when paired with a Metabones Speedbooster XL and Nikon 2.8 Zooms lenses

Is it the same quality as internally recorded 4K? The GH3, for example, had different image quality in live view than it did during video recording, when it switched to a different readout scheme. Does the G7 do something similar? And can you confirm that the video stream is clean of icons and such?

23 hours ago, andy lee said:

yes the video stream is clean of icons etc and its better than the compressed internal 4k @ 100mb/s , this 4k Pro Res is 744mb/s

I think what he meant wasn't the bitrate but how good is the actual quality of what comes out of the camera over HDMI. Obviously I could record any camera into ProRes at 10bit but that wouldn't turn the content that comes over the HDMI into 10bit if the camera only does 8bit.
A lot of cameras have a "low quality mode" when idling in live view and only go to full quality sensor read out when recording gets started (which deactivates the HDMI out on the G7).

Cool that you test these things, I think the G7 is still quite overlooked in the shadow of the GH4.

• 2 weeks later...

Really really curious about that.  

Nice to see a comparison e some grading tests

On 8/2/2016 at 5:00 PM, Phil A said:

I think what he meant wasn't the bitrate but how good is the actual quality of what comes out of the camera over HDMI. Obviously I could record any camera into ProRes at 10bit but that wouldn't turn the content that comes over the HDMI into 10bit if the camera only does 8bit.
A lot of cameras have a "low quality mode" when idling in live view and only go to full quality sensor read out when recording gets started (which deactivates the HDMI out on the G7).

Cool that you test these things, I think the G7 is still quite overlooked in the shadow of the GH4.

True , im  thinking if is anyway better a 4:2:2 8 bit recorded to 4:2:2 10 bit wrap in external recorder, compared to the internal record that is in MP4 but 4:2:0 i guess ?  i mean for grading e some low budget chroma 4:2:2 is a bit better over 4:2:0 even if in 8 bit only.  

Really curious to follow next steps and feedbacks. Also strange many videos over the G7 but almost none on this camera

and external recorders output.    

• 2 weeks later...
On February 18, 2016 at 7:35 PM, sudopera said:

I just found a comparison between GH4 And G7 on Videomaker. Is it possible that G7 is so much cleaner in higher ISO? There is side by side ISO test in the video.

http://www.videomaker.com/video/watch/reviews/18520-panasonic-lumix-g7-vs-gh4

I have used both GH4 and G7, and in my experience the G7 is cleaner in low light

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

How much cleaner? Does it lose the sudden drop at 1600? 

And curious how soft it goes when sharpening is set to lowest. I didn't like the GH4 for these two. Maybe this is an enhancement.

I heard the 4K crop is reduced, which only means oversampling

Never hurts to have a m43s body.

it is alot cleaner in low light - the blacks are stunningly clean, cleaner than the Red Epic we tested it against, image looks very similar to the Arri Alexa we tested it against - there is hardly anything in it !! amazing camera from Panasonic   , the G7 camera lets you shoot in the shadows very cleanly in very low light. I am using 4 Panasonic G7 cameras for the new Pandora feature film I am DOP on , Panasonic have partnered up with us for this movie and we are working together to show how good the G7 is a film making tool. I am using Metabones XL Speedboosters on all the cameras, Brian Caldwell and Metabones have kindly supplied them for us to use in Nikon and EF mount . We are using these with Atomos Ninja Assassins and all the rigs for the movie are supplied by Gini Rigs , I will post some pics of these rigs soon.