A few LX100 Questions

Zach Ashcraft

So I sort of missed the LX100 trained when it was released, but I've recently stumbled upon it and am very interested in picking one up.  At just over $400 used I don't really have a lot to loose, I don't think, but I did just have a few questions for those who have used it.

1. Does it overheat? I had the Rx100 IV for about 2 weeks. Loved the image, hated using it because I could only shoot for less than a minute here in the Texas summer. 

2. Can it charge via USB? Not a deal-breaker, but would be a nice feature to have since I've got a few portable USB chargers on my everyday.

3. How gradeable is the image and is it easy enough to match to a C100 MKII or vice versa? I don't do anything too crazy grade wise and typically stick to more natural looking footage, since I shoot a lot of documentary work.

4. Is it "fun" to use? I know this is subjective, but its important to me. Its probably going to be with me everyday, and I want to enjoy using it.

5. Biggest drawbacks?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It definitely is a blast to shoot with for run and gun. Nice auto focus for grabbing shots. Stabilization is decent enough. Really impressive macro closeups at the wide end. Weak telephoto though. I think it hits around 80 mm in 4k crop. Never had any reliability issues with it.

When it comes grading it's tricky. Film convert using gh4 profiles works ok with some tweaking. There is a flattener LUT floating around in the topic Liam linked to that works ok. I have yet to find the secrect sauce for grading but I think it's an acceptable image given the price.

Here is some basic testing I did with the lx100 

4 hours ago, Hene1 said:

Biggest drawback is very digital looking image with thin colors. It's hard to get natural image out of it. Also zooming feels weak, becouse its via wire and the motor isn't very powerful.

Could you share a non graded file or an image from such a file, with such thin colors + info what picture profile was used ? I would really like to take a look. Thanks.

3 hours ago, shanebrutal said:

I have yet to find the secrect sauce for grading but I think it's an acceptable image given the price.

It's not a secret sauce, but you might want to try this Natural profile curve that was traced from a picture that Balazer posted on dvxuser

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?340370-Exposing-V-LOG-L&p=1986581829&viewfull=1#post1986581829

After tracing it in Photoshop it was placed and rotated 180 degrees within the diagram with the transform tool.

I used the curve on your footage and even though you already applied a LUT it shows what it can do. You will need to adjust Lift/Gamma/Gain as well.

natural_curve.thumb.jpg.5a4b95eb87b09f01

4 hours ago, Xavier Plágaro Mussard said:

The LX100 is a great little camera. Only problem with mine is that when I attach a ND filter, it gives me Zoom Error and I have to start the camera several times before it opens the lens and starts. Do this happen to anyone else??

You need to use protector or similar filter before your ND filter, to give it distance. Your lens can't fully close itself when youre using only ND filter, becouse its too wide.

19 hours ago, bunk said:

Could you share a non graded file or an image from such a file, with such thin colors + info what picture profile was used ? I would really like to take a look. Thanks.

Hey guys!

Check out Andy Lee´s post about the footage he shot with the G7 on natural. Looks sick, thick and not thin at all! LX100 might look similar on natural

with skillful lighting and grading! Though sensor and lens are not the same. Here is a taste of Andy´s footage.