Metabones Speed Booster review

Andrew Reid

I've decided that whatever camera I buy to replace my stolen GH2 must have the ability to take a speed booster either now or in the future.  Given that requirement what are my options?  I had been really excited about the d5200 until I was told that it would never be compatible with a speed booster due to its mount.  Let's say I'm looking at a max for now of $1500 usd for the body,  What are my options?  I love the idea of buying one set of glass that I can use with different bodies and I plan to invest in a FS100 within the next 9-12 months.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

GH2 is still up there in my top choices. The Micro Four Thirds SB is coming out next month, then for EF lenses on M43 with the electronics in the Summer. The GH3 is one to consider and any new E-mount NEX mirrorless camera that comes out is worth keeping an eye on to see if they have improved video on the NEX 5N / NEX 7. There's a NEX 7N rumoured to be coming soon. If the jump in video is the same between the NEX 5 and NEX 5N then that NEX 7N will be something.

FS100 is a great deal, there's no better camera for image quality around the $4000 mark at the moment apart from the Blackmagic Cinema Camera. That one in MFT mount of course very hard to get hold of for a good few months yet - but should be great with SB.

I suppose you are thinking of the Digital Bolex? The C-mount has a very small opening diameter. The upcoming m4/3 Speed Booster optics have a large rear element and wouldn't fit in. However, if it is indeed the Digital Bolex you are thinking of, the saving grace is, from their specs sheet...

"C-mount comes standard; Optional PL, EF, B4. M, Micro 4/3, turret in development."

They could use a m43 mount, even if passive. (C to m43 adapters are readily available, after all.)

• Administrators

Will there be a passive Canon to M43 mount Speed Booster from Conurus until the smart adapter ships in the summer? This is something I'd love to see. I actually use Canon mount adapter rings for all my Contax Zeiss, Leica R, M42, Pentax, Olympus OM and Nikon glass and so for these lenses I don't actually need an EOS Speed Booster for Micro Four Thirds to have electronics in it :)

Although it is of course preferable and most people would buy the Smart version, I'd love to see a passive Canon mount version in March alongside the others.

Within Metabones we had discussions of a "universal" solution where you stack another adapter on top. EF appears to be the favourite candidate for a "universal" mount but we did not want to leave out Canon FD and Minolta MD. Therefore, we haven't reached a concrete proposal on that yet, but we are open to ideas. For now our highest priority is to ship what we promised (C/Y, Rollei, Contarex, Nikon G, m43). The second highest priority is to follow up on customer suggestions on Canon FD/Minolta MD (the group which is shorter than EF in flange distance). We must remain focused on these first, but once they are done we are open to ideas.

That's great!  sony emount to Rollei QBM dumb adaptor coming?  What is the timescale?  I'm considering the ef version due to then being able to use both m42 and contax, rollei, exakta etc via flat adaptors onto the speed booster ef, but might be more inclined to go with the dumb rollei qbm if it saves some money - I dont really need electronic control of boring canon ef glass...

Within Metabones we had discussions of a "universal" solution where you stack another adapter on top. EF appears to be the favourite candidate for a "universal" mount but we did not want to leave out Canon FD and Minolta MD. Therefore, we haven't reached a concrete proposal on that yet, but we are open to ideas. For now our highest priority is to ship what we promised (C/Y, Rollei, Contarex, Nikon G, m43). The second highest priority is to follow up on customer suggestions on Canon FD/Minolta MD (the group which is shorter than EF in flange distance). We must remain focused on these first, but once they are done we are open to ideas.

Hope you'll look for medium format to full frame. Would be awesome to have some Hasselblad Zeiss to Canon EF, or even Mamiya 645 to Canon EF. Would blow away any 35mm and smaller lens and they are cheaper and cheaper as film disappear (less and less film roll available on eBay each week).

Hope you'll look for medium format to full frame. Would be awesome to have some Hasselblad Zeiss to Canon EF, or even Mamiya 645 to Canon EF. Would blow away any 35mm and smaller lens and they are cheaper and cheaper as film disappear (less and less film roll available on eBay each week).

+1000

The official position is that Metabones is contemplating that possibility, but could neither confirm nor deny whether there are concrete plans to do a medium format Speed Booster. Basically everything about the roadmap that can be disclosed is already in the FAQ section of the Metabones site. All the rest are "neither confirm nor deny". We are all ears to your ideas but your understanding is appreciated that we have to operate with a certain degree of secrecy but for various reasons not everything could be disclosed publicly.

If you would allow me to put down the official hat but just state my personal opinion, however, a medium format to full frame SB would not have rocked the world like the full frame to APS-C SB had. By that I mean, for APS-C there is no way to get a 17/1.0 other than 24/1.4 + SB. However, name any medium format lens, multiply both its focal length and aperture by 0.7 or thereabouts, and there is always already a full frame lens which could do its job. e.g. Mamiya 80/1.9 => 56/1.3, pretty close to a 50/1.4. There are no medium format lenses that I am aware of which were fast enough or wide enough for some breakthrough to occur in the full frame world.

The official position is that Metabones is contemplating that possibility, but could neither confirm nor deny whether there are concrete plans to do a medium format Speed Booster. Basically everything about the roadmap that can be disclosed is already in the FAQ section of the Metabones site. All the rest are "neither confirm nor deny". We are all ears to your ideas but your understanding is appreciated that we have to operate with a certain degree of secrecy but for various reasons not everything could be disclosed publicly.

If you would allow me to put down the official hat but just state my personal opinion, however, a medium format to full frame SB would not have rocked the world like the full frame to APS-C SB had. By that I mean, for APS-C there is no way to get a 17/1.0 other than 24/1.4 + SB. However, name any medium format lens, multiply both its focal length and aperture by 0.7 or thereabouts, and there is always already a full frame lens which could do its job. e.g. Mamiya 80/1.9 => 56/1.3, pretty close to a 50/1.4. There are no medium format lenses that I am aware of which were fast enough or wide enough for some breakthrough to occur in the full frame world.

yes, but stack a medium format to EF SpeedBooster onto a current ef-emount SpeedBooster - and you have the image area of a beastly Schneider, Rodenstock or Zeiss squeezed onto an aps-c sensor - the way things are going, we'll have aps-c sensors with 50mpx and twice the dynamic range performance in less that 2 years. For this, only medium format lenses will measure up:)

Sorry for the dumb question, but is this good news "only" for Canon EF lenses owners?

What other lenses with an EF adapter would work with the SpeedBooster (even in passive mode)?

Thanks,

I use SpeedBooster on my NEX-7. I've recently acquired two adapters (Nikon to EF and Olympus OM to EF). I'm now using the Nikkor 55mm f2.8 and the Olympus 100mm f2 OM.

Speed Booster is a great product!

Anyone have thoughts on the KineRAW Mini + E-Mount + Speed Booster? The KineMOUNT adaptable proprietary mount is supposed to get an E-mount adapter eventually (according to their FAQ which is currently only in Chinese).  

So that means we'll have full-frame, 12-bit RAW 2k for probably $5-6k for a fully functional kit. 

KineRAW Mini details:

http://www.kineraw.com/enproduct.asp?EnBigClassName=KineRAW-MINI&EnSmallClassName=Price_Package

Anyone have thoughts on the KineRAW Mini + E-Mount + Speed Booster? The KineMOUNT adaptable proprietary mount is supposed to get an E-mount adapter eventually (according to their FAQ which is currently only in Chinese).  

So that means we'll have full-frame, 12-bit RAW 2k for probably $5-6k for a fully functional kit. 

KineRAW Mini details:

http://www.kineraw.com/enproduct.asp?EnBigClassName=KineRAW-MINI&EnSmallClassName=Price_Package

This is the combo I'm salivating for. There isn't enough Kineraw footage out there for me to have strong feelings and the stuff that is out there always seems to have a strong green cast on it. That being said, this camera (like the Black Magic) is threatening to really change some things. 

- Andy

www.filmandy.com

Conorus: Can you give any info on the micro four thirds Speed Booster? what mounts will be available? EOS - M43, active and or dumb? When can we expect it and where can I pre-order? ;)

If there'd be some kind of newsletter which would let me know instantly when it is available.. I'd love to get that! Can't wait to get my hands on the Speed Booster magic.

• 3 weeks later...

KineRAW S35: the mount is Short-FFD KineMount (Sub-PL Mount). Does that mean it is physically a PL mount which simply sits closer to the sensor but the PL mount "adapter" is actually a PL mount extension tube? Does anyone know what the flange distance of that is?

M4/3: no good news on that yet, unfortunately. Manual focus Speed Boosters for MFT will come first but active Canon EF will appear later.

For now our highest priority is to ship what we promised (C/Y, Rollei, Contarex, Nikon G, m43).

Can you tell us more about the Nikon G adapter for NEX, can be used with the VR lens? stabilization and aperture control with information on screen?

Great to have your answer here, thanks.