GoPro stock plummets 90% in less than a 1.5 years

Damphousse

• 1 year later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 2/7/2016 at 3:45 AM, Xavier Plágaro Mussard said:

And I hope they make great drones, but great drones are already being made and have sold in milions figures.

It's official.  Gopro is out of the drone business.  You should be a business consultant.  You called it almost two years early.  Do you have any stock tips?

Gopro stock plunged 27% today.  Stock was halted.  Revenue projects have been slashed.  Mass firings are to ensue.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/gopro-halted-slashes-outlook-on-pricing-trouble-cuts-staff-will-exit-drone-market-1515421790

Well well. 

GoPro should have entered the drone business YEARS earlier. 

Or used their tech/codec to go high end and launch a cinema camera perhaps. 

"Something"

Should have been clear the threat of smartphones meant the action camera business could only print them bankloads of money for so long. 

10 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Well well. 

GoPro should have entered the drone business YEARS earlier. 

Or used their tech/codec to go high end and launch a cinema camera perhaps. 

"Something"

Should have been clear the threat of smartphones meant the action camera business could only print them bankloads of money for so long. 

Smartphones are not the only reason - there are now alternatives to all the GoPro cameras that match all their features, and in some cases provide better quality, at literally half the price. For example, the Yi 4K+ vs. the GoPro 6; the Yi 360 VR vs. the GoPro Fusion.

Just like with drones - the GoPro model was inferior to and more costly than those offered by others - no "smartphone" issue at all.

The problem is lack of ability to innovate and lower costs. They gained an initial advantage by being first with a product - their original action cam - and then failed in all subsequent innovation.

Good thing about is that they dropped the price on the Gopro 6! I will not buy a other brand action cam, as it has way less resale value then a gopro. And I only use gopro's for underwatershots or for shots where there is a risk on water damage. If somebody figures out foolproof waterproof cinema cameras on the cheap they will make  a killing though as the prices of decent underwaterhouses are crazy high. I get it, you get what you pay for, but I think the demand isnt high enough so they cannot drop the price enough if there were 100000 people requesting cheap underwaterhousings I bet they could drop those prices dramatically.

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/8/2018 at 6:09 PM, Damphousse said:

It's official.  Gopro is out of the drone business.  You should be a business consultant.  You called it almost two years early.  Do you have any stock tips?

Gopro stock plunged 27% today.  Stock was halted.  Revenue projects have been slashed.  Mass firings are to ensue.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/gopro-halted-slashes-outlook-on-pricing-trouble-cuts-staff-will-exit-drone-market-1515421790

I am often right in my predictions, but never tried to make money from it! 

GoPro should have made a GoPro PRO model, but long time ago. 

On 2/5/2016 at 7:09 AM, Damphousse said:

The last year and a half has been a massacre for GoPro.  It has seen it's stock drop from the 90s down to single digits.  This has been one of the most massive destructions of wealth in the stock market in recent years.  I used to think Canon's stock graph was ugly.

I dont really want to do a 'my drop is bigger than yours' but I saw this chart yesterday....

5a7adc8324bdb_ClipboardImage(70).thumb.jpg.6a985ca6d30eabfa49c130163b917635.jpg

Rather remarkably it was 'up 66%' yesterday at US$2.29 but still 99% off its peak of US$177 roughly '3 weeks ago'!!

40 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

Well the original GoPro was a rebadged Chinese camera!!

And their name?

The Digital HERO released in 2006 (Model: SQ907 mini-cam) had a 640×460 camera and shot VGA definition 320X240 (10 fps) video for a maximum of 10 seconds. The Digital HERO1 had 32 MB internal memory without SD slot.

maxresdefault.jpg

On 2/8/2018 at 12:05 AM, Robert Collins said:

I dont really want to do a 'my drop is bigger than yours' but I saw this chart yesterday....

Check out the drop in my dogecoin:

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/dogecoin/

Ouch

9 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

The Digital HERO released in 2006

That wasn't the original GoPro

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Damphousse said:

Gopro popped 6% today on buyout rumors.  We could be seeing the beginning of the end of this company as a stand alone entity.

I find the owner a juvenile and someone who has the accountability of a 12 year old.

Seems loud and brash and more interested in buying private jets and yachts, when his comoany stocks are plummeting, and then indulging in some very inspiring NGO work directed money laundering.

I am curious that us not being investigated by the agencies and regulators. 

I also remember those awful worker and employee retrenchments. 

I'm surprised no-one has posted this video yet...

I think the video takes a well balanced look at the company and the founder.

I took my Hero 3 to a concert on Sunday to record a short video for a friends birthday and when I got the footage back I was really disappointed - it was hazy and soft.  I thought something was going wrong with the camera (maybe some coatings going bad or something) so I tested the camera in good light and it was fine, but the quality was not great - I think it's the poor codec.

I'm often half-tempted to buy a newer one to get real 4k but due to the limited video quality I just can't justify it.  If they released something that had high-bitrate codec then I would probably buy it.  I'd be willing to pay a decent margin if it recorded RAW or something close to it.

10 minutes ago, kye said:

I took my Hero 3 to a concert on Sunday to record a short video for a friends birthday and when I got the footage back I was really disappointed - it was hazy and soft.  I thought something was going wrong with the camera (maybe some coatings going bad or something) so I tested the camera in good light and it was fine, but the quality was not great - I think it's the poor codec.

I'm often half-tempted to buy a newer one to get real 4k but due to the limited video quality I just can't justify it.  If they released something that had high-bitrate codec then I would probably buy it.  I'd be willing to pay a decent margin if it recorded RAW or something close to it.

The new ones are I think pretty amazing especially if you shoot them in flat profile in the 2.7k mode. I have the Hero5 Session and it is damn good, even the stabilization.

25 minutes ago, kye said:

It isn't only the bitrate, the sensor is just too small for more serious stuff.

Maybe that new Sony with the 1" sensor worth a look.

In live events and whenever I want similar aesthitics (I do not do extreme sports though) I use a small/entry level mirrorless with a real fish eye lens. Even thought the camera isn't great, the output is much better, coming from an APS-C sensor and "real" glass.

The problem with GoPro is that other companys make similar cameras for 1/3, or less, money. They were always priced very high, in my opinion, and then they had that drone fiasco, that was the last drop certainly.

51 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

The new ones are I think pretty amazing especially if you shoot them in flat profile in the 2.7k mode. I have the Hero5 Session and it is damn good, even the stabilization.

I use my Hero3 in that mode and I still find it disappointing.  Maybe it's just too old for what my expectations are - I know the sensors get a little bit better with each new model.

40 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

It isn't only the bitrate, the sensor is just too small for more serious stuff.

Maybe that new Sony with the 1" sensor worth a look.

In live events and whenever I want similar aesthitics (I do not do extreme sports though) I use a small/entry level mirrorless with a real fish eye lens. Even thought the camera isn't great, the output is much better, coming from an APS-C sensor and "real" glass.

The problem with GoPro is that other companys make similar cameras for 1/3, or less, money. They were always priced very high, in my opinion, and then they had that drone fiasco, that was the last drop certainly.

I understand what you mean about the sensor, but if given enough light it should be good quality.  Maybe there's something else going on that I'm not aware of.

In terms of the RX0 1" Sony, it's not as wide angle as the GoPro (RX0 = 24mm, IIRC my GoPro Hero3 = 17mm).  If I wanted 24mm I'd just use my iPhone.  I either use the GoPro because of it's wide angle or because it's waterproof (and even then because it doesn't have a screen I still use it in wide-angle mode), but it may work for your purposes though.  A real fish-eye lens may also be a good equivalent depending on your needs.

53 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Absolutely agree.  When they were cashed up they should have been pushing and innovating, but didn't.  The video I posted above suggests that they are good at selling and understand the waterproof action-camera market, but that's the extent of their strengths.